back to article User flexibility without the risk

Most organisations are seeing users and business groups starting to make their own technology decisions to some degree or another. On the one hand this provides those in the business with the freedom and flexibility they often crave, but unilateral adoption of equipment, software and services can create ambiguity over who is …

1. dan1980

Satire?

<em."After all, you cannot expect the IT team to manage things over which they have no control, or are not aware of. "</em>

Oh, if only that were true.

1. Dale Vile, Freeform Dynamics

Re: Satire?

Good catch, the word 'reasonably' is clearly missing :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Did you mean 'reasonably manage', 'resonably control', or 'reasonably aware'?

1. DN4

Reasonably expect.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Unhappy

Hmmm. I think it fits in all four places.

2. ITS Retired
    Facepalm

Taking company equipment to use at home is a bad enough security risk

Being able to use your own personable equipment at work, is just asking for system down time.

IT does have control, mostly over company equipment.

But IT doesn't have much control over your personal laptop or fondle slab, when used at work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Taking company equipment to use at home is a bad enough security risk

we can, however, have fun. "Great, you want to use your own iPad ! Fine, we were told no budget for them anyway. So, here's the compliance documentation, please read and sign to say you accept sole and full responsibility for compliance of your device. After that, please read the environmental impact statement and recycling policy, and so on. Then finally please sign this security statement confirming that the device will be remotely wiped immediately you become aware it is missing".

3. Gannon (J.) Dick
    WTF?

"As part of this, where necessary, senior managers need to be reminded that risk management is fundamentally a business rather than an IT issue, ..."

Treat the IT Department better than the paying customers ? Really ?

4. John Hawkins

History

I'm old enough to remember that PCs got into the office this way...local managers bought them as they were a great way to get around the central IT department's restrictions. IT controlled accounts and software on the VAX and on the IBM big iron, but PCs were standalone.

Sooner or later the PCs became business critical, so IT were stuck with them whether they liked it or not.

Was how I got into IT in the first place - the IT department refused to touch our PCs, so I looked after them. More fun than what I was supposed to be doing and made it easier for me to get a new job once our office got consolidated out of existence.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Forget the device, protect the data and the applications and it doesn't matter what device the users are using.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like