back to article Einstürzende Neubauten's haunting World War I tribute

“We must have the only recording studio with a compressed air supply,” says Blixa Bargeld as he tunes up his band, Einstürzende Neubauten. Three compressed air hoses hiss into life. String quartet and chains Here in Utrecht the middle-aged band, plus accompanying string quartet, are performing their World War One concert …

1. Paul Johnston
    IT Angle

Well ...

Thought I'd have a look at the Mute website and found this:

http://mute.com/releases/fortran-5

Well that's answered the icon nicely.

2. Frankee Llonnygog

Speaking as a long time fanboy

I can't wait to hear this. They still manage to shame so many young pretenders

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah......Einstürzende Neubauten...the '80s.......*wavy lines*

I recall having a bit of a gothy bondage session with my lady friend where I tied her up, put on Side 1 of 'Halber Mensch' (the one with the dentist drill/scream thing) and then went out for cigarettes.

Anon 'cos we're still together.

PS it's only just hit me that This Band are on This Website. Colour me discombobulated.

4. Bob Vistakin
    Pint

No road drills?

Gosh, seeing that name brought back some memories. In my student days I remember my total inability to distinguish one of their tracks from a bunch of navvies in the street digging up the road again. I recall the rather unusual instrument used on another being a steel bridge being whacked with a large hammer, and it wasn't even in time, thus depriving anyone of the tiniest redeeming benefit of tapping your foot to it.

5. Stoneshop
    Mushroom

Compressed air

“We must have the only recording studio with a compressed air supply,”

At Robodock in Amsterdam, several years back, there was a "band" which consisted of IIRC two dozen or so instruments, powered by compressed air. These were wind instruments as well as pneumatically driven strings and percussion. The ensemble was controlled by something akin a music box, using a slow-turning lathe. Sound-wise, it gave Einstuerzende Neubauten a run for their money.

Compressorhead's drummer was at Robodock too, although I didn't see him in action.

Icon is for the Large Hot Pipe Organ, also present.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I listened to it and didn't get along with it, but thanks El Reg for widening my horizons with all sorts of interesting reviews. Please keep it up.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like