back to article SandWorm thrived thanks to botched MSFT patch says HP

Microsoft had a chance to crush the SandWorm bug before it crawled out of the dunes, but botched the job, says HP. HP says that the Windows Object Packager, which SandWorm attacks, “had suffered a similar issue in 2012 with security bulletin MS12-005. HP researcher Matt Oh goes on to write that he “found striking similarities …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Polish the turd, yo!

So there are likely still more surprises that will need amazingly similar patches in the future?

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: Polish the turd, yo!

Please remind us again - how many patches were needed to kill Shellshock?

1. MacroRodent

Re: Polish the turd, yo!

Please remind us again - how many patches were needed to kill Shellshock?

Three, I think, but they came within days or hours of each other, not two years. Also the proposed solutions were discussed in the open, ensuring the quality of the final solution, but giving bystanders an impression that there were even more issued patches in the end than there really were.

2. JCitizen
    Coffee/keyboard

If I were HP

I wouldn't throw rocks in a glass house - even if they are right. I've not been very impressed with HP software either!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another Conspiracy Theory....

...is that the vulnerability was DELIBERATE! It was just another of the innumerable backdoors into Windoze left there at the behest of the "Security Services".

I know the truth, so AC, natch!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like