back to article USB coding anarchy: Consider all sticks licked

Thumb drives are so inconsistently manufactured it is all but impossible to know if any unit could be reprogrammed to own computers, researcher Karsten Nohl says. The conditions that determined if a unit could be hacked varied not only between vendors but also within product unit lines due to manufacturers buying different …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Whitelisting USBs does not work

In most cases USB ID is programmable in firmware so by whitelisting you have done little to avoid being hit by a hacked USB implementation. All modern USB storage works without any ID specific quirks so the fake ID peripheral will work and will be able to execute the attack.

In any case, USB is and will remain a more difficult attack vector compared to other peripherals. It does not have RDMA which was present in Firewire and is back with a vengeance in thunderbolt. With that you can do anything you like to the target without the target being able to mount any defence whatsoever.

By the way, this article firmly holds the crown for the least readable and worst English grammar on el reg so far. Granted, it is "before 4 th double espresso" time here... Still, I had to re-read some of the sentences more than a couple of times.

2. MacroRodent

DVD reborn

So, back to DVD:s for sneakernet file transfers...

(From article: ""As long as USB controllers are reprogrammable, USB peripherals should be shared with others," the team said." - Surely there is a missing "not" here? Or should we strive to share the fun?).

1. fearnothing

Re: DVD reborn

You are correct - see slide 28 of the presentation the article linked to. I already sent El Reg corrections dept an email.

IRT to topic: Can this get any more scary for those of us in infosec? I have enough nightmares as it is.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

IRT to topic: Can this get any more scary for those of us in infosec? I have enough nightmares as it is

time to give up, move to that remote desert island that has no leccy/internet/etc and do nothing with the rest of your life...

Oh wait, there aren't enough islands to go round.

Drat.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
          Mushroom

"Oh wait, there aren't enough islands to go round."

We have nukes. And hazmat suits. What's the problem?

(Bonus: the EMP should delete all the malware.)

2. Michael Habel

Oh wait, there aren't enough islands to go round.

Well you could always take a Page from the Arabs, and build your own Island(s)...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So, back to DVD:s for sneakernet file transfers...

You may be right there, but given the implication that small devices in general may be vulnerable, and the fact that these days DVD drives tend to be external USB, maybe that won't help.

Back to serial link file transfers for me. Oh bugger - need a USB-Serial adapter!

1. MacroRodent

"the fact that these days DVD drives tend to be external USB, maybe that won't help."

It will: I won't be exchanging the DVD drive itself with others. I can keep it under lock&key when not in use.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You assume it isn't ALREADY pwned and can't be pwned through your machine using another exploit (even a zero-day drive-by rootkit you wouldn't be able to see coming).

2. Tom 13

Re: It will: I won't be exchanging the DVD drive

I can't believe so many people keep overlooking the obvious flaw in that statement.

This isn't just an initial distribution vector. It's also a re-infection vector.

1. MacroRodent

Re: It will: I won't be exchanging the DVD drive

This isn't just an initial distribution vector. It's also a re-infection vector.

That line of thinking would require stripping out any peripheral with reprogrammable firmware, whether USB-connected or not, which is practically all of them these days!

Back to MFM disk drives...

3. Novex

Couldn't a patch for operating systems have a default check message box come up for the user when a USB device is plugged in, asking them to confirm the type of device (and perhaps its manufacturer and model as well)? Such a check might not prevent every attack, but at least it would give the user a chance to stop any of the more obvious ones (like a memory stick pretending to be a keyboard or network interface, for instance).

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

MS already have this patch...

Half the time when you plug in an FTDI serial port adaptor, it tells you it's a ballpoint mouse...

1. Michael Habel

Re: MS already have this patch...

Half the time when you plug in an FTDI serial port adaptor, it tells you it's a ballpoint mouse...

Wait, was that before, or after FTDI wiped the USBID from its Firmware?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So... let me get this straight. To be safe I need to switch off all my computer stuff and leave it unpowered in the corner ? We are all doomed ?

1. Tom 13

Re: To be safe I need to switch off all my computer stuff

Yes. But remember, that's essentially how MS originally got NT4 certified as secure.

1. Sven Coenye

Re: To be safe I need to switch off all my computer stuff

That was NT 3.5 SP3. NT4 was not C2 certified, even though MS did its best to make people believe it was.

5. johnB

Hidden partitions

I used a thumb drive for years and then when I plugged it into a Linux box I found a hidden partition with executables (and couldn't access the Windows partition).

So even after formatting a new drive, I reckon it's not possible to be secure knowing a drive is "clean". And this was from a known brand name, supplying UK gov't.

All a bit scary.

1. Kobus Botes
      Thumb Down

Re: Hidden partitions

Isn't the hidden partition where the device drivers are stored (that Windows insist on installing every time you plug your USB device into a different slot, until all slots have been utilised)?

I have found that if you delete the hidden partition on a USB drive, Windows insist on scanning and fixing the "problem" ("Do you want to scan and fix Removable Disk (Whatever letter it decided to assign:)? There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc." Yadda yadda...) before you can use it. Skipping it, however, allows you to use the device.

Most annoying.

----------------> Windows, mostly - not your comment. For once I suffered from a surfeit of icons to choose from. Weird.

1. Michael Habel

Isn't the hidden partition where the device drivers are stored (that Windows insist on installing every time you plug your USB device into a different slot, until all slots have been utilised)?

I have found that if you delete the hidden partition on a USB drive, Windows insist on scanning and fixing the "problem" ("Do you want to scan and fix Removable Disk (Whatever letter it decided to assign:)? There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc." Yadda yadda...) before you can use it. Skipping it, however, allows you to use the device.

Most annoying.

----------------> Windows, mostly - not your comment. For once I suffered from a surfeit of icons to choose from. Weird.

Is this really true? It could go a ways to explaining why everything USB, (MicroSD, USB Thumbdrives), that has ever touched (or has been formatted under), Android / Linux, are coming back to Windows 7 x86-64. With this really annoying question. I wonder if this um... Feature was the One responsible for trashing my what was then... a very expensive 32GB MicroSD Card...

Luckily, I was able to get it replaced under warranty. I never knew those things were guaranteed for up to Ten Years though. Since I already had it well over a Year, by then. But, that was pretty much how it all started. So I don't even bother trying to um... "Fix it" anymore. And on those few brief times when I mis-click on it... The actual "Fix" seems to do NOTHING! As the same Error will pop-up again afterwards.

About the only "Fix" I've found was to reformat said Device under Windows, and only use it on Windows. The Second the Android/ Folder is created on such a Device its like a license to Screen-print that Error Message...

Now I have something to do on my break!

thx!

2. Robin Bradshaw

JohnB that is probably a U3 drive, its like that by design, the manufacturers website will probably have a U3 removal tool on their support site to turn it into a normal usb drive if you wish to do so.

6. auburnman
    IT Angle

Would a WhiteHat attack on the firmware be feasible? Have a background program on your machine attempt to own any USB device inserted, and if it's succesful throw up a panic flag, install verified clean firmware and start scanning for hidden partitions.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

No, would not work

Rule number one of successful exploitation of vulnerabilities - immediately patch the hole you used to get through so that the next attacker cannot get through.

So the fact that the USB does not seem vulnerable means nothing - it may have hacked firmware already which closes the original exploit hole.

7. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    Unhappy

Bring back DVDRam

It was going to be the "new Floppy", but we all got USBified, and so nobody uses it.

The media never really got cheap enough.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bring back DVDRam

Plus there was the fact miscreants found ways to turn burned discs into infection vectors. I recall they were even working on ways that didn't rely on automatic mounting behaviour, either.

2. Tom 13

Re: Bring back DVDRam

Time to face sad facts. These days except for the memory, video card (assuming you have one), and the processor are about the only things that aren't USB. Even the damn DVD frequently mounts as a USB device.

8. Christian Berger

Serioiusly where is the problem?

You need to have access to a USB device in order to re-program it. If you have that you can just as well open it and replace the electronics...

If your computer is taken over in a way to re program your USB device... you have probably already lost.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Serioiusly where is the problem?

I think it's worse than that. If the USB devices are surreptitiously reprogrammed, not even "nuking from orbit" will work. They can re-infect your or any other machine as quickly as you can re-install the OS. It's as bad as a BIOS/EFI malware because it's firmware-based and above the software layer, OS-agnostic, hard to detect once done, and once done basically bulletproof (as the malware will likely close the exploit to prevent its removal).

So this could potentially be more than Game Over. Unless some sureties are made about USB devices again, it could mean Game Over Forever: a full-on descent into DTA mode.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Serioiusly where is the problem?

You need to have access to a USB device in order to re-program it. If you have that you can just as well open it and replace the electronics...

Reprogramming a device is a hell of a lot cheaper than disassembling it and replacing the electronics, so it's a much better attack vector for attackers with a limited budget or other constraints (e.g. the tools they can have on-hand), or for mass attacks.

9. razorfishsl

Research……

In 2007 I visited suppliers in China to speak directly to the manufacturers of the various controller chips……

I have 'stuff' I was working on from 2008~. In 2011 I dropped an email to members of the security community, who were working on similar concepts.

My research covered 'anti-forensics' specifically to prevent block 'cloning' of storage devices, also systems for code injection into the data stream being read from the storage partition and systems for hiding encrypted data.( all done by controller reprogram)

I had future plans for when USB allowed a device to be both a master & slave, allowing it to probe external devices connected to hubs and utilize any WIFI adaptors plugged in.

All this was 'hidden' and non-detectable from outside of the device.

Some controllers also have a 'Fucked up mode" boot loader where they can page code from the nand-flash incase the masked rom is bad during production or extra functionality is needed.

With a multi-gb nand-flash you can build a 'paged' exploit kit, no longer limited to a particular internal code size of the controller chip.

One of my pets is a 'custom' development kit that 'emulates' the Nand-flash chip allowing rapid development from RAM/Disk without having to continually tool about , instead I just replace the 'Nand-chip' download an image of the contents of the 'flash' to ram then fiddle with the USB stick controller image in ram in an attached slave computer.

The greatest 'wet dream' are the Atheros chips….., consider all the 'datastream goodness' those reprogrammable chips have access to, plus they have their own handy WIFI which is a total black box to the computer or any computer based 'security' software.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Research……

Please go on....

10. Michael Habel

Well look on the bright side...

If your FTDI, you can use this Bug, (Umm... Feature!), to permanently wipe every Chinese Clone off the face, of the World! Bawhahahahah..... Yeah then again... Perhaps not...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like