back to article Why did men evolve map-reading skills? They were PAID BY BONK - study

The reason men refuse to ask for directions when lost isn't down to pig-headed stubbornness, but rather a hard-wired evolutionary instinct which has developed so they can, err, get more sex – say anthropologists. Students with clipboards from the University of Utah interviewed dozens of members of the Twe and Tjimba tribes in …

1. Sir Sham Cad

In my personal experience

Not asking for directions is very likely to lead to a rapid decrease in mating opportunities, especially if it means she's running late.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ranging from about 8 to 80 miles away which were then.

And looks like we also developed the ability to complete a sentence....

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Asking people for directions isn't guaranteed to work. I often know the names of roads when mentioned but can't always remember where they are.

An old friend of mine used to (for a laugh) always give people directions to the M6 no matter where they wanted to go.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

false directions

And there are Welsh people who when asked, in English, for directions, will always point in the direction of the English border.

2. raving angry loony

for a laugh?

Are you sure he was doing for a laugh, and not because those were the only directions he could remember but he didn't want to admit it?

3. Eddy Ito

Estimates indicate that 10,000 years ago the human population of the entire world was about 5 million. If you're going on a reasonable length journey away from your own population center there isn't likely anyone to ask for directions until you get where you're going, e.g. the next population center. It might be wise to avoid any hunting parties along the way since they may be hunting long pork which would certainly change your travels for the worse.

4. Vic

An old friend of mine used to (for a laugh) always give people directions to the M6 no matter where they wanted to go.

I tend to tell people to get off the M27 at J6 if they piss me off...

Vic.

4. frank ly

Additional explanation?

A man who could range further, and get back home safely, would be better at hunting game animals and bringing food back and also be a sought after leader of hunting groups. Such a man would be a more attractive mate than less skilled men and hence have more women desiring him.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Additional explanation?

Yeah, there's a good deal of correlation not necessarily being causation. Another study a few years back (cited in The Economist) of tribes in Central America correlated foraging with gender: men go further, find new places but are less efficient as a result; women systematically forage the local area (and like in the proverbial supermarket) know where everything is.

2. DragonLord

I suspect that a lot of the hunter gatherer differences are down to the fact that men get more practice at the spacial awareness stuff because they're more expendable to the tribe (how many men does it take to re-populate the tribe in one generation vs how many women) thus are freer/compelled to take on the more dangerous tasks of ranging and locating new resources. While the women get to learn the area that they live in more, and are thus better at gathering the resources than the men.

3. Grikath

Re: Additional explanation? @ frank ly

That would be the most obvious, and actually generally assumed, proposition. Especially since primitive man ran more on a social structure as the modern apes, and nigh-on all species of monkey, which means you actually got a chance to mate if you don't go so far away, and nip in with the ladies before the alpha troop comes back...

However, (modern) anthropology isn't, unless sex or sexuality isn't the prime motivator, preferably from a modern Feminist point of view. This is why nowadays the discipline is classed with the arts, not science.

As far as spatial awareness in females is concerned.. I suspect they generally simply don't much care about that skill... unless needed.. The deadly accuracy of an irate woman with crockery/household implements/assorted sundries on hand is an ancient trope, and can be found in all cultures, and in historical anecdotes dating all the way back to the dawn of the art of writing...

1. oolor

@frank ly:

Sure that may be part of it, but things are a lot more complicated.

@DragonLord:

The testosterone differences between men and women (and also fetal exposure) play a large part in this trait. Within men (and women) the conversion of sex hormone metabolites and how effectively they alter genetic expression and other hormones in the body partially determine innate ability. The expression of this through day to day life, well YMMV...

As Grikath points out (totally jacking Sapolsky) mating success is just as much cunning as being and looking stunning (though the triple threat never hurts chances). I will let his miss-estimation of women's throwing/beating with household objects beliefs stand as evidence of being daft as to why such situation persist in the first place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sapolsky

1. DragonLord

So far as I know the only non genital/giving birth related thing that's different between men and women and can be proven to be down to sex is the relative strength at the upper end of the spectrum (i.e. men tend to be stronger and can be much stronger than women). everything else could be social/cultural - i.e. nurture

1. Vic

everything else could be social/cultural

Not entirely true.

Women tend to be a little shorter, and thus make better jet fighter pilots - the distance between head and brain is a little less, so they can pull more G for the same atrial blood pressure.

Vic.

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Standard reply when asked for directions

"I wouldn't start from here"

1. tmagic

Re: Standard reply when asked for directions

a: "What's the best way to .........."

b: "on foot, or by car?"

a: "by car"

b: "yes, that's the best way"

2. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Compared with other cognitive differences between the sexes...

such as cultural differences in maths skills

I see the hedging you did there.

Unfortunately, reality won't be denied.

what you would expect if mating was the payoff for travel

We have arrived at the level where NOT mating is the payback for travel, so I'm sure it's gonna even out eventually. Luckily we have electronic maps these days.

7. bed

Um...

But my wife is better at spatial orientation than me; better at working out which bit of furniture will fit in where, better at navigating, better at outguessing with the GPS and generating "route recaculation" messages in an increasingly petulant tone, or so we would like to believe, though, as the hunter gatherer, I am better at foragging for the elusive wild cabbage in Lidl.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Some men have never left their local housing estate

yet still have children with multiple women. Explain that, Science!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Some men have never left their local housing estate

Yeah, those private suburban housing estates are real hot beds of shameless lust.

2. asdf

Funny my first thought on reading that post where not of poshness but of the white trash dude and his son sleeping around the local area at the beginning of the movie Idiocracy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Some men have never left their local housing estate @asdf

Yes, but the OP in his/her rush to be clever forgot to specify council estate leaving it open to misinterpretation. Actually, my first thoughts were of hillbillies who don't even need to leave the house to procreate with multiple partners.

3. P. Lee
      Facepalm

You're asking an anthropologist science questions?

Awww, so trusting!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sex and Travel

So, the old expletive is more of a piece of guidance than anything else?

I'll F**k off now......

10. Elmer Phud

Usual bragging

Bunch of blokes bugger off and kill something then eventually bring it back.

Meanwhile, the women have sorted out the fire, got water, gathered other food, looked after the kids, made clothes etc. etc.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This conclusion seems to stem from the assumption that men want sex more than women do. Once you remove that assumption then the whole thing falls apart because women would also evolve the spatial skills to travel far and wide to find suitable mates.

1. G.Y.

A woman can max out her number of children with just one man

1. oolor

Perhaps, but having children with many men can increase the chance that one of her children will be above average (momma will be taken care of in old age), further, sex with many men both during conception and during the child's life can help secure that child's future. It depends highly on the reality of the given situation, the western and/or monogamous culture is at best half the story of human sexuality and evolutionary pressures that may have delivered current conditions.

12. Crazy Operations Guy
    Joke

How do they know its not the other way round

That men with a large number of children are better at navigation because they want to get away so much faster?

1. oolor

Re: How do they know its not the other way round

Hey, don't blow our cover.

See next comment, not reply for explanation.

13. Mark 85
    Holmes

This seems to fall under the Sherlock icon's bailiwick. As a lad, myself and friends would go to a town 50 miles from our home turf. Not because the girls were prettier or looser but because we were the strangers in a strange land. Not the homeboys the locals saw and new. Lot's of reasons and always worth the trip.

I note that the research is about NOT having sex with one's mate but with different women.

14. John Tserkezis

It makes sense.

The guy needs the spacial awareness to keep track: He doesn't want Girlfriend #1 to find out about Wife #1, and especially neither to find out about Girlfriend #2.

If he asks directions, he risks the [Small World] factor to kick in and alert one of the above to his indescretions. He could find himself in a pickle that way...

15. J.G.Harston Silver badge
    Happy

"mating is the payoff for travel"

Where's me passport?

16. Kernel

Just a wild guess

but I suspect that in a real life hunter-gather society there is a very good reason for not being too keen on asking directions - anyone who knows the immediate area better than you is a likely to be a potential competitor and possibly even an enemy.

Common sense would suggest you don't go and deliberately introduce yourself to such a person.

17. zebm

The old joke

So men who can find the G spot have more sex...

18. The Dude
    Pint

Out of country

So, if it is "out of country" then it isn't cheating, it's a skills test?

Awesome.

19. Denarius

Amazing evolution

can explain anything

20. Mike 137 Silver badge
    FAIL

evolved to ...?

'men have evolved a greater spatial ability to "benefit reproductively ...'

Supposing this is a direct quote, it's pretty sad that scientists (even if only anthropologists) continue to promulgate the fallacy that evolution is directed to defined purposes. If it's not a direct quote, shame on el Reg for doing likewise.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like