back to article BlackBerry comeback: BES12 server revealed – it will manage ALL THE THINGS

Turnaround artiste John Chen marked one year as BlackBerry boss with an avalanche of enterprise software news related to the firm's new BES12 server, which can manage enterprise mobe devices running Android, iOS, Windows Phone – and of course, BB's own mobile OS. BlackBerry wants to manage absolutely everything: PCs, Macs, …

1. 0laf

I wonder if it will be a new playbook?

I know a few proper security people and they still use a BB phone a playbook combo.

1. Hans 1
      Gimp

I think they tried with the playbook and failed to get traction ... they could certainly get traction now they have a mature app market, but I doubt they will try ... sad, really ... then again, look at the surface sales^H^H^H^H^Hwrite-off.

2. James 51

Not just secuirty people either. A new playbook would be nice but then my four year old one is still going strong.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Too late

We are still running an early version of BES, 5 I think, which already didn't support the latest batch of BB terminals.

Our current terminals are reaching their end of life and I have difficulty finding terminals that are supported. Guess what, we will be leaving BB to slowly wither away and have already started moving towards an Airwatch( Android and IOS) solution (Echange on the rear end)..

As much as I like my BB for email I have not alternative but to forego it for an Android/Apple alternative...

As far as I am concerned BB threw themselves out of the market... So it doesn't matter what they now offer they are simply too late.

1. Hans 1

Re: Too late

Honestly, I think you will come back, once you been bitten by the sieves.

2. Wilson! Wilson!

Re: Too late

Agree, BES12 is a year late. It took a long time because it was designed from the ground up so it could manage iOS, Android and WP8 phones better than BES10 could... and now it also manages OS7 phones. Airwatch and other MDM's are pretty good, but they all have their own limitations, as your company will soon find out.

The bad news is that many BES5 customers have been switching to other platforms. The good news is that BES12 is already attracting customers who never used BlackBerry products and services.

3. Hans 1
    Gimp

Wow, just wow ... call me impressed - but then again, watch the icon ->

4. Bronek Kozicki

woo hoo!

This means BlackBerry is only going to build BlackBerrys for customers who are likely to buy them.

What a refreshing idea! Hope they stick to it before my 9900 turns from plainly ancient, to ancient wreck. Because I'm seriously considering buying what-they-call Classic.

1. Tsunamijuan

Re: woo hoo!

I am in the same boat my 9800 is slowly dying on me. I love the thing but they have yet to address that level of product.

The classic is certainly cheap enough that its worth picking up just to try even if I don't switch to it.

5. Frankee Llonnygog

I would never have predicted it

But Mr Chen is in with a chance. Good work!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Blackberry Classic

Hmmm that's the first photo I've seen of the classic. Looks quite good and at £349 it would be tempting for me. Never owned a Blackberry before though, but that looks like a well designed phone with a proper keyboard, which would be a nice change

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Blackberry Classic

ïf you are going to connect it to a corporate network just make sure that you don't have to pay exorbitant telephony provider fees !!

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Ken 16 Silver badge

I've a z10

After about 4 years of Android, I'm very impressed. All the Android apps I need work and everything out of the box is seamless. The build quality is good and I love the OS. I'm not sure I'm ready to go to a physical qwerty keyboard though and I'm certain I don't want a bigger screen, if I have to change it will be to a Sony z3 compact.

9. The Original Steve

Nice

But software seems pricy for what it does. Most of the features can be done with Lync. Think we'll stick with Lync 2013 and MobileIron - cheaper and does very much the same.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice

But software seems pricy for what it does. Most of the features can be done with Lync. Think we'll stick with Lync 2013 and MobileIron - cheaper and does very much the same.

Don't you mean Skype for Business?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They've had it, haven't they?

Chapter 11 by July, I reckon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like