back to article US carder gets nine years in cooler, must pay back $50 MEELLION

Georgia carder Cameron Harrison has been sentenced to nine years jail and ordered to pay US$50.8 million in restitution for purchasing stolen credit cards from scuttled website carder.su. Harrison, 28, who used the handle Kilobit pleaded guilty to three charges and was sentenced overnight by Nevada District Judge Andrew Gordon …

1. Mark 85

He hit the jackpot?????

By my calculations... 50 Million / 260 means he got an average of about $192,000 from each card. Or were those the only ones he was prosecuted for? It just seems way too high, but then I've never seen a credit card with a limit that high.

Then again, the linked article mentions the $50 million and another 54 suspects in the ring for that amount. Looks like he got tagged for the amount the whole "ring" appropriated.

Oh.. the jackpot.... 9 years in the slammer and payback the cash. Pity they can't do something more severe to all of them.

1. Tom 35

Re: He hit the jackpot?????

I they used cop math. The same math they use for the street value of drugs or the loss caused by downloading a couple Madonna tracks.

They will be lucky to see $50, so it might as well be $50 trillion as $50 million.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

What I'd really like to see

Is the extra large economy size fines applied to Target, Home Depot, and the rest of the assholes that let the creditcard information out there in the first place.

3. DocJames
    Pint

Wait - I don't understand

How in $deity's name did the cops manage to catch him before looking at his computer, email etc? I've been listening to NSA and their political mouthpieces, and surely this is a requirement to arrest anyone?

Something fishy here. Like real police work: well done those guys and girls. Have a beer.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Wait - I don't understand

How in $deity's name did the cops manage to catch him before looking at his computer, email etc?

At a guess, by looking at the other computers that he used to buy/sell the stuff, and then using that evidence to get a warrant to search his computer.

A bit like finding a burglars fingerprint at the scene of a robbery, and then finding the stolen goods at his house.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't get it

when a bank is found in the wrong they are never prosecuted, they ALWAYS settle and pay up, so the Treasury gets its share of the illegal gains, the bank keeps the rest, everybody's happy, AND the bank can carry on with its activities in a somewhat modified manner (same with tax optimisation). Why can't they do the same for this poor guy?!

1. Nigel 11

Re: I don't get it

Coz he's a criminal and the banks ... er ...

2. Peter Simpson 1
      Happy

Re: I don't get it

Why can't they do the same for this poor guy?!

They did -- $50 million. Same fine, whether you're an individual or a bank, and no matter how much you steal.

:-)

5. JaitcH
    Unhappy

He should have called his group HSBC ...

then the Feds would have given him a Get Out Of Jail Free card.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No disincentive

Nine years in the can isn't going to be a real deterrent to these types of crims. Twenty years plus treble damages however would be.

1. Tom 35

Re: No disincentive

You talking about the banks too?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like