back to article Europe agrees on exchange of criminal records

The European Commission has adopted proposals to make it easier for police to check criminal records in other European countries. The European Criminal Records Information System will set out the technical specifications so that police can get easy-to-use records from forces in other countries. Jacques Barrot, commissioner …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JasonW
    Coat

Criminal record swap

I have some Des O'Connor here - I'd like to swap it for something like Jacques Brel.

Or is that the wrong type of criminal record?

2. Robin Bradshaw
    Alert

Intent Vs Reality

"The European Criminal Records Information System will set out the technical specifications so that police can get easy-to-use records from forces in other countries."

You just know this will end up with them printing the requested criminal records off and popping them in the post after the software to allow interchange comes in 5 times over budget and still doesnt work.

The upgrade will be to fax them then send the hardcopy in the post.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Missed acronym opportunity

"European Criminal Records Information System"

Can't believe they didn't find a way to call it "E.R.I.C."!

4. Ted Treen
    Alert

@JasonW

I sincerely hope the Des O'Connor discs are an unwanted present.

If you purchased them voluntarily and of your own free will then either you should be sectioned for your own safety, or you should cut back on the use of exotic substances.

I can think of no other (or indeed ANY) rational explanation.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

the half-a-bee acronym's well received here

unlike the idea of police forces sharing criminal records between the uk mainland and the rest of europe. not on my part you understand, but the wife will have to skip to yet another country when they do.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Missed acronym opportunity

Another New Unwanted System....

anyway, think of the children!

7. Guy Herbert
    Pirate

How does that work then?

"This is essential in order to provide adequate responses to crime <em>but also to prevent new crimes from being committed.</em>"

Huh?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

EU Wide Criminal database.

Another bloody good reason for the U.K. to be out of the E.U.

Mind you, its a wonder they havent had something like this long before now.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like