back to article Hacker Hammond's laptop protected by pet password

Former LulzSec member Jeremy Hammond - once the FBI's most wanted and charged with hacking security firm Stratfor - seems to have failed to prevent police accessing his laptop due to a poor password. During a police raid in March 2012 he raced through a friend's Chicago home to shut and lock his laptop. But the effort …

1. Mark 85
    FAIL

What an idiot.

Not that I have any sympathy but one would think that if one wanted the title of "hacker" (in the current usage not the traditional) one would go for a tough password in case they were caught. But then again, those who do things like breaking and entering (physical property or computers) aren't always the brightest bulbs in the chandelier, are they?

1. Turtle

@Mark 85

The problem is very simple. Security is inconvenient, and the more secure, the more inconvenient.

Of course, there's also the fact that people who are willing to run the risk of criminal activity usually feel pretty invulnerable to begin with - or else they wouldn't run the risk in the first place. And a sense of invulnerability does not lead one to tolerate the inconvenience associated with good security.

1. Captain Scarlet

Re: @Mark 85

Yep for me my simple password to logon will do me as there are tools which can easily reset it anyway (I'm a Windows User). Anything which I feel I don't want accessible I'll attempt to keep separate, encrypted and password protected with a strong string.

2. dan1980

The question I keep asking myself whenever I see stories about LulzSec and, specifically, this 'hack', is: "what came of any of it?"

There was important information that came from this, whatever the motives or methods, but has anything substantial actually happened?

All we really got was a suggestion that some of the data may have been fabricated, either by Stratfor as disinformation or by LulzSec and other information might be taken 'out of context'.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More than 30 countries were hacked in 2012 - by (an informant under control of) “the FBI”

in US Court proceedings it has become clear that the FBI has been directing Cybersecurity attacks. We know that the NSA have been doing this via the Snowden allegations, but for this FBI led-attack - we know this not via ‘allegations’ but through (sealed & censored) US court documents which have now been reverse-engineered.

According to Court documents the FBI asked Hector Xavier Monsegur (with a pseudonym of Sabu) on June 8, 2011 to persuade hacker colleagues in the ‘Anonymous-style' “LulzSec"community to attack internet targets. (The Economist referred to Sabu as one of LulzSec's six core members and their "most expert” hacker) The FBI provided him the list of countries & facilities to attack.

from http://www.dailydot.com/politics/fbi-hammond-sabu-hack-country-list/

More than 30 countries were hacked in 2012 - by (an informant under control of) “the FBI”

A Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) informant targeted more than two dozen countries in a series of high-profile cyberattacks in 2012. The names of many of those countries have remained secret, under seal by a court order—until now.

Brazil,

Netherlands, (EU, NATO)

Belgium, (EU, NATO)

United Kingdom, (EU, NATO, 5-EYES)

Australia, (5-EYES)

Papua New Guinea,

Republic of Maldives,

Philippines,

Laos,

Libya,

Turkey, (NATO)

Sudan,

India,

Malaysia,

South Africa,

Yemen,

Iraq,

Saudi Arabia,

Trinidad and Tobago,

Lebanon,

Kuwait,

Albania,

Bosnia and Herzegovina,

Argentina

including national government sites in

Libya,

Yemen,

Sudan,

Philippines,

Iran,

United Kingdom (EU, NATO, 5-EYES)

Nigeria,

Republic of Maldives,

Paraguay,

Saint Lucia,

Puerto Rico.

Iran,

Greece, (EU, NATO)

Slovenia, (EU)

United States, (NATO, 5-EYES)

This list targeted Databases which containing the login credentials, financial details, and private emails of foreign citizens, and in some cases government agents. This data was exfiltrated by hackers tasked by Monsegur to do as much damage as possible. After they stole the data, it was routinely uploaded, at Monsegur’s instruction, to a server under the FBI’s control, according to court statements. [My speculation is that the NSA will have then further exploited these databases & compromised systems, under cover of Anonymous/LulzSec]

Monsegur played a crucial role in staging high-profile (False-Flag) cyberattacks against FBI security contractor ManTech, and the Texas intelligence firm Stratfor, [in which my personal details were leaked!] The FBI attempted to use Monsegur to entrap Nadim Kobeissi, author of the secure communication software Cryptocat, but without success, but Monsegur continued working online for the FBI until March 6, 2012 when he was arrested, with 2 British & 2 Irish citizens.

The court-case where Monsegur was prosecuted & sentenced to 1 year suspended sentence (including 7 months pre-trail detention) claimed that he was successful as an FBI informant to protect the USA from over 300 cybersecurity attacks between 2011 to 2014, including NASA, dot MIL & media companies. The court mentioned that he had made some attacks but the list of countries/targets was censored and sealed, until DailyDot analysed them..

3. jake Silver badge

"small but talented LulzSec"

Assumes facts not in evidence.

Not hackers. Crackers, at best. And rather inept ones, at that.

4. Jim 59

Good Grief

Even my Register forum password is better than that.

1. Jim 59
      Joke

Re: Good Grief

Oh no it isn't !

2. DaLo

It doesn't matter how strong your Register password is - even if it's 200 random characters long, it's as unsafe as everyone else's until the web techs running this site work out how to implement SSL and Situation Publishing can afford the $150 for an SSL certificate.

1. Jon Egerton

It's pretty shameful alright. Rather undermines the site's credibility when laughing at other sites security provisions.

Would be lovely if they'd fix the Android App so that it didn't randomize the story you select as well.

1. FartingHippo
          FAIL

Maybe, but are you really using the same password to shout "Apple is better than Android" (or vice-versa) as to access PayPal?

If so, you're a moron, and it would be pretty pathetic to blame El Reg when some villain pays for a truckload of ebay tat using your credentials.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"but are you really using the same password..."

What are you talking about, have you posted on the wrong thread?

2. Mark 65

Given the lack of SSL you don't think that El Reg is run by a TLA do you? Gathering up all these anarchic rants and snippets of dissent? Oh the irony if it were.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Password fail?

I know it's a laughable password, but I think it's really only a minor failure for a hacker. The major fail was that he exposed himself enough for the police to identify him and physically get their hands on his laptop.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Password fail?

It's quite hard to not expose yourself when one of your gang has turned police informant.

1. Tom 38

It's quite hard to not expose yourself when one of your gang has turned police informant.

This is why hanging out in a "gang" of hackers is a bad idea; eventually someone gets caught and throws everyone else under the bus.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately.

Benjamin Franklin

In this case it would appear to be one at a time, except the first.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC - police informant

I had thought of that, but my point still stands - trust in others created a weakness that he didn't realise or take seriously enough. So still a fail.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not much of a deal was it?

"Hammond [...] was sentenced to the maximum 10 years prison under his guilty plea deal"

I'm not all that familiar with the US legal system, but this implies that he did a deal and pleaded guilty, which is usually done in exchange for a lighter sentence.

So how come he got the maximum stretch? What would they have done if he pleaded not guilty, sentence him to more than the maximum?

1. Old Handle

Re: Not much of a deal was it?

Presumably they were threatening him with a dozen more charges for a total of 7854 years or something of the sort. That's that's their usual tactic.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1, 2, 3, 4

The shield code is 1, 2, 3, 4

That's the same code I have on my luggage

(Mel Brooks, Spaceballs)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: 1, 2, 3, 4

You must have an censored copy.

2. Turtle

Re: 1, 2, 3, 4

"The shield code is 1, 2, 3, 4. That's the same code I have on my luggage"

I actually laughed when I read this.

Thanks!

: )

8. Stevie

Bah!

Indeed, it was stupid to pick part of the password to match the name of his cat.

But how did the FBI hacker get the "CHEWY" part?

That is the clever bit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon