back to article Brit cops nab six in Silk Road 2.0 drugs sting

British cops have arrested six people suspected of links to the online drugs bazaar Silk Road 2.0. Officers from the National Crime Agency made the arrests over allegations their targets had been selling drugs or working as administrators for the dark web narcotics store. All six suspects have been bailed following a police …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If...

If the authorities have to start focussing on the "dark web"(tm), then please can they make more effort with the nonces instead of always picking on the stoners? One is a dispicable crime that damages all involved, the other is a naturally growing plant.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If...

Low-hanging fruit. It's difficult to work proxies when you're twatted.

2. Skyraker

How long until "Silk Road Balboa"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>Asked how Operation Onymous located the sites, Europol’s Oerting was unapologetically secretive. “This is something we want to keep for ourselves,” he said. “The way we do this, we can’t share with the whole world, because we want to do it again and again and again.”

It's another shoah.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Columbia/Mexico?

If they were based at these locations..........i dunno, maybe the fuzz would think twice?

4. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

500 times the size of the internet I hear

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-29950946

"The so-called deep web - the anonymous part of the internet - is estimated to be anything up to 500 times the size of the surface web."

Sounds like we need a new Register Unit, 'estimates of the size of parts the internet', perhaps named 'Bullshits'?

1. mike2R

Re: 500 times the size of the internet I hear

I've tracked that one down, the BBC and a load of other crapy sites parroting this rubbish got it from the same place. The ultimate source of the 500x larger claim seems to be this paper from 2001: http://quod.lib.umich.edu/j/jep/3336451.0007.104?view=text;rgn=main

It's talking about dynamic vs static web pages, and how the search engine's of the day have trouble indexing the latter (which it calls the "deep web").

1. Dan S

@ mike2R

Thank you! I've been wondering about that claim for a while.

I checked my server and about 100MB of the content seems to be indexed. However, there are several GB of files that aren't crawled (given out as direct links). Those files are mostly recordings of my lectures about epistemology and ontology. So I guess that's my contribution to the "dark net"... epistemology and ontology.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's not rubbish, "deep web" != "dark net".

The dark net (assuming that's the unindexed naughty stuff) is just a subset of the deep web (all the stuff that can't be indexed due to paywalls, access controls, robots.txt files or no hyperlinks to its content).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cops have a funny attitutude towards multiple sclerosis medicine.

6. Hans 1
    Facepalm

Hippies, do not forget, these guyz were NOT ONLY dealing HTC, they were dealing other stuff such as heroin.

No, I do not take illegal drugs, as beer, wine & co do it for me. I have absolutely no problem with ppl taking HTC stuff, though, and don't forget their brain usually gets damaged over the years - I know many who are taking this crap daily, they are now slow thinkers ... even when they have not had anything over the last few days. I guess AA attendees have these issues as well, though.

Now, the irony is, not later than last week was there a documentary on French TV, prime time, about the dark net ... they claimed it was "safe" for villains ... Now, you must know that French TV is heavily censured, not as much as during the 60's & 70's or between 2005 and 2012, but still.

So obviously, when these topics come up on TV here it means the French intelligence (TNS/Sofres aka RG) have the means to get you.

I do not bother to post anon, because they already know me, what I say about them on the interwebs and the day they smash my front door in, all they'll get is a Royal British Salute: \/

1. Irongut

They were selling phones from Taiwan? The rotters!

2. David Pollard

brain usually gets damaged

I know a couple of people who have managed to overcome their alcohol addiction, at least for a while. There appears to be a certain amount of recovery over a period of a few months, but like others who have over-used this drug I fear their may be some permanent impairment of mental capacity. Alcohol is not terribly safe, especially if used on a regular basis.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hydra was one of the sites I've used in the past for some herbal ... items ;-)

Hope they don't have my details :D Mind you I don't expect my door broken down by armed police over £20 bag of weed.

1. Ben Norris

Well now that you've admitted it here they can just get your details from El Reg and your ISP

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'I don't expect my door broken down by armed police over £20 bag of weed.'

Of course they are going to kick in your front door at 6:00am (probably on monday as the guvnor won't sanction weekend overtime)

1. it is only weed so you are unlikely to put up much of a fuss.

2. it is only a small amount so you are unlikely to be armed sufficiently to defend your stash.

3. if you are buying on the internet then you haven't bought protection as only authorised resellers (of previously confiscated stashes) get that.

It will cost the best part of 15-20 grand to haul you through the system in order to extract a £50 fine + £100 costs - they will also give you a criminal record which could depress your future earnings (and your tax contributions)

They don't care about this though because it keeps them in a job, some of them will get extra pension contributions and it's not their money they are squandering anyway.

3. Platelet

"Hydra was one of the sites I've used in the past for some herbal ... items ;-)"

If they cut off one head, two more shall take it's place... Hail Hydra

8. Version 1.0 Silver badge

TOR is compromised

Clearly TOR is broken badly and it's possible that since it was developed in the US, that it's always been broken as far as the NSA is concerned. This take-down suggests that all TOR activity is effectively transparent to the NSA.

I wouldn't trust any replacement for TOR that's developed in the US.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: TOR is compromised

I always thought it was a flawed concept. You may be able to enlighten me:

All traffic at some point leaves via an exit node, is that correct?

Well if you own enough of the exit nodes as well as a shit load of intermediate hops and a big ol' computer, surely with a bit of brute force and trial and error, you may be able to piece the bits together.

Feel free to correct me.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Is it TOR that is broken or have they managed to gain access to a database that holds all the names and address of the various parties ?

Or there is a super snitch, or the NSA have simply shared details of what they managed to gleen from the exit nodes that they pwned...

In any event some deep thought will probably now go into building a deeper, darker web...

The criminals, cough, businessman/politicians, cough, stand to lose too much if the TOR et al are not brought back into production...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The first Silk Road bust and the Freedom Hosting bust didn't compromise Tor, and the Tor developers have always said that Tor doesn't trump "police work". We know they had a man inside Silk Road 2.0. Now we need to figure out how they busted 400 other sites. Many of them were probably hosted by the same person.

1. Cliff

If you killed Silk Road, knowing full well (because despite name-calling, intelligence agencies are not idiots) that other sites would pop up, wouldn't you just create a fuckload of honeytraps so you could rinse and repeat?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

@Cliff

Yes, even taking it to the level of being the Super Root or whatever the top level Admin is thereby becoming the host of hosts... Which would then have the potential of created the worlds largest honeypot, provide an amazing piggybank full of Bitcoins and the equivalant of a top of the range Dyson SuperHoover for collecting user details...

Next time I want to invest in some Sativa, Indica or Ruderalis I'm going down the pub...

3. Mark 65

@Version 1.0: I do not agree that TOR is clearly broken and have not seen any evidence of that. They had someone on the inside working for the main man (be careful who you hire) and apparently he used his normal email account for certain things. Complacent or ignorant I know not which, but certainly not careful. No breach of TOR was necessary. As for other sites it is likely, as others have posted, that there may be commonalities such as staff or hosting.

9. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Go

"All your TOR nodes are belong to us!"

Can we have a "Toldyaso" icon, plz?

10. Pen-y-gors

I'm impressed

That they managed to run a web-intensive business from the depths of mid-Wales (Aberdyfi). Broadband round here is generally not brilliant, although we're due to get FTTC in a couple of months. Maybe I need to rethink my career options.

Of course mid-Wales has a long (and honourable?) history of being a production centre for mind-altering substances (Operation Julie in the 1970s), and I'm told there are a number of people up in the hills who are allegedly growing more than tomatoes in their greenhouses, allegedly. The local village show even has a category for 'the best grass' (no, not that sort)

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: I'm impressed

Pen-Y-Gors,

They have been doing it for years..

I read a short book about, what was at the time, one of Britains largest LSD factories which was located somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Wales.. I do not know if you know it but the bust itself was called Operation Julie, it's worth a quick read if you can get your hands on a copy...

Factory as in "operation" not as in building, as it was located in a small welsh cottage. LSD does not require a very large establishment to create huge quantities.. I think that a one litre bottle in the drinking water system is easilly enough to knock out the population of London, possibly more, for a couple of hours.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: I'm impressed

You'd have been even more impressed if you'd tried their "produce" - it was some of the finest sacrament available at the time.

11. Dave Bell

A note on Geography

It should be obvious enough from a map, but New Waltham is effectively a suburb of Grimsby and Cleethorpes.

I don't know that this makes Tor unreliable, but since the original intent was to provide a data channel for spies, this does rather suggest there is something new being used by the spies.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A note on Geography

I don't think there is.

The nsa has owned it, but no one else has. So what do they care about their spies using it?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon