back to article Not even 60,000 of you want an ethically-sourced smartphone

Fairphone, the social enterprise that makes an Android smartphone built of raw materials sourced from conflict-free mines and built in exploitation-free factories, plans to make an even fairer phone in 2015. But the outfit has also revealed it has not yet managed to sell all of the 60,000 phones it has built to date. Founder …

1. Tapeador

Exploitation-free?

I smell BS.

How do they calculate the socially-necessary rate of profit and return-on-investment in order to qualify the wages and non-expropriative, non-exploitative under Marxian analysis? Is there a return for risk capital? What about the holders of property, e.g. the factor owner, do they get paid a rent and how was it calculated? Was the factory built using exploitation in the Marxian sense?

1. Captain Planet

Re: Exploitation-free?

Did you not smell BS when you read about Marxism?

2. Khaptain Silver badge

Name change Please

Please, do not call a phone a "FairPhone". That's just pandering to the PC/Ethical crowd and thereby strongly limiting the market. [ The PC/Ethical crowd are cheap, so not a good target market].

Call it something like The Blade, Excalibur, The Matrix Black, something with a little bit of punch.... The Yoof would love it. The insides will still be nice and ecologic but at least it won't be so embarrassing to pull out the phone in front of others.

1. James Micallef Silver badge

Re: Name change Please

That's probably a good idea.

Refreshing the specs is also absolutely necessary. As a small organisation they really have worked wonders within a limited budget and capability, however they got the first phones out the door in late 2013 based on what was already a bit dated spec. What they are still selling is the same design as they haven't had the capability to refresh the design yet, so right up until their new release in 2016 they will be selling a 2013 spec phone.

I guess that's par for the course when you have tens of employees rather than tens of thousands and sales volumes of thousands rather than millions... but in any case, every luck to them!

2. Magnus Ramage

Hint: nobody seriously uses the term 'politically correct' (PC) any more. It's purely used by those who are against certain policies or ethical frameworks.

That aside, you do have a point that an effective way to bring ethical sourcing into products is to make a really good product that people want which just happens to be ethical - or indeed to make the ethical version the norm. You can't buy non-Fairtrade bananas from Sainsburys, for example. And while I think ethical brands such as Cafedirect (coffee + tea) and Divine (chocolate) have their place in establishing a market, making supermarket own-brand products fairtrade seems to grow the market better.

There's an appreciable market for ethical products, and a slight markup over the less ethical ones seems to be accepted by the market. Likewise premium products manage quite well to be ethical.

If the Fairphone had launched with a slight premium and better marketing, it could have done well. The trouble is that it was somewhat more expensive than comparable models, and its launch coincided with the arrival of really good budget Android phones (Moto G etc), making the price disparity even starker.

3. Gordon 11

Please, do not call a phone a "FairPhone".
      They could try the FlairPhone then. But does the name really matter. What about the Moto G2. If they got to G7 would it be boycotted by all anti-capitalists?

My wife has one. It's pretty good - if what you want is a mobile 'phone.

Of course, if you have to have the latest iPhone of Samsung S5 then you won't like it, but only because it doesn't have the right logo on it.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

@Gordon

>But does the name really matter

The names not only matter, sometime they are the product....

Try telling the Yoof that "Emporio Armani" jeans are not better than Lois ( even thought the denim is the same).

Do your Lacoste poloshirts last any longer than those at half the price.

Trying telling Apple to rename their phone.

Anyways, you get the meaning, the name really is everything in some cases.

3. heyrick Silver badge

It might be created ethically, but it still runs Android

So doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose?

1. Captain Planet

Re: It might be created ethically, but it still runs Android

They were talking of a Firefox version I think

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The logo is shit, that doesn't inspire confidence if they can't design a logo.

5. localzuk Silver badge

Who made what now?

Not really seen this anywhere. No advertising. Not in any phone shops or electrical retailing stores. Not in any "ethical" focused stores either.

The market they're aiming at are one, in my experience, that don't spend a lot of time looking for a new phone online...

1. Dunstan Vavasour

Re: Who made what now?

There's nowhere near enough handsets in the supply chain for a marketing campaign. The second production run has created what would be a tiny amount of stock for any sales drive. What they have achieved could almost be called a proof-of concept exercise, making a small number of phones with traceable raw materials and better (though not Western) practices in the assembly plants: to make a profit at a price that's within 50% of massive scale production counts as a success.

Oh, and the Co-op are selling them. http://www.thephone.coop/fairphone/

2. Jan 0 Silver badge

Re: Who made what now?

I found the 2013 Register article sufficiently interesting to prompt me to visit their website and pre-order one. An advertising campaign would have raised the price. If they've now sold 54,000, I trust that personal recommendations will get them into the hundreds of thousands next time.

It's probably not the best dual SIM, replaceable battery, android 'phone, but it's adequate and puts a little goodness into this world.

If you shop at Tesco, bank with Barclays, use TNT, etc. then you're unlikely to understand the point of this 'phone.

6. William Hinshaw
    Pint

Needs a better name

The phone needs a better name;

Child Labor Free Phone, Slavery Free Phone, Blood Free Phone, Clear Conscience Caller (had to go for the three C), Ring in Freedom Phone, Suicide Free Phone, Moral Paragon Phone, Ethical Paragon Phone, Murder Free Phone, The eLive Phone (everyone lives get it?), The ePhone (ethical Phone), The mPhone (moral Phone), ...... well none are prefect but they are descriptive. mmm the sPhone (smug phone cause I'm better than you)

1. DocJD

Re: Needs a better name

I think just calling it the PC Phone would cover all of that.

7. moshind

They dont sell worldwide

I wanted to buy one for myself, Its an important project, but they sell only in the EU, and I'm from Israel.

8. John Savard

I Object

The headline of this article is misleading, unfair, and insulting to smartphone buyers everywhere (or at least just in the EU)!

It should actually read:

Not even 60,000 of you want an ethically-sourced smartphone badly enough to actually pay for it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like