back to article Ireland's data cops: Yes, we probed LinkedIn. Don't ask what we found

Ireland’s data protection authorities will not publish the results of an audit they carried out on digital CV site LinkedIn. Ciara O'Sullivan, spokeswoman for the Irish Data Protection Commissioner, said that the watchdog “owes a duty of confidentiality to organisations it investigates”. She added that it was up to the …

1. qzdave
    Coat

Lucky break

I was just about to write scathing comment about the stupid picture of a small general store -- accusing The Register of playing to stereotypes and not recognizing that Ireland is a modern economy....

Then I fact checked on Google, and the underwhelming building *is* actually where some of the world's largest website are policed from. Wow.

I'll get my coat.

1. joeW

Re: Lucky break

They're no doubt fuelled by jumbo breakfast rolls from the Centra next door though, not much will get past them.

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

What time is it on LinkedIn ?

Q: What time is it on LinkedIn ?

A: 12:00, 12:00, 12:00, 12:00, ...

2. Khaptain Silver badge
    Pint

Suggestions for what they found

They have developed an API that spammers can purchase a direct connection to.

They have statistics to show that the percentage of people that actually manage to get a job through LinkedIn is smaller than a very small thing....( To the theme tune of BlackAdder obviously)

That LinkedIn is actually a tax avoidance scheme funded by Amazon.

That LinkedIn is actually just another NSA/GCHQ phishing site.

None of the above, they just found it to be incredibly underwhelming and that it is a far better idea to just nip of down the road for a quick Guiness..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Suggestions for what they found

It could be that they found that LinkedIn could really do with some more high end executives joining, but could only fund those positions if they didn't have to pay fines.

At least, wasn't that more or less what happened to the last guy working from that office?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yep - Europe's Data is second only to a Centra convenience store in a dark midlands town

http://www.ramshornrepublic.com/uploads/1/3/0/5/13050282/3885034_orig.png

The screen grab from google street view thankfully has car regs blurred or else this could get recursive

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can anyone explain to my why the Data Protection Commissioner should actually need a large office? It seems to be a mostly administrative function and they hardly need barracks for an intrepid, roving army of go-anywhere enforcers, or garages to house their numerous SWAT-style vehicles? Sure, they need space to keep their files, but I suspect a lot of them can be stored on computers, I'm sure you've heard of those? They might even use remote storage, whatever that is...

Quite frankly, for the amount of good the DPC is doing, I'd prefer that it stays where it is rather than a higher cost Dublin site. I suspect the location is a holdover from the policy of decentralisation which, ironically, seemed to involve moving many of the government towards the middle of the country. There seems little point in moving them into Dublin City Centre, which can take nearly as long to reach even from the suburbs of Dublin as the current location.

BTW, for a different view of the building try the following link, it's not THAT small. http://web.archive.org/web/20141019192419/http://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/canal-house-portarlington-laois/2786485

5. Ken 16 Silver badge

Fair enough

I'd rather a security auditor worked with the customer to fix the holes rather than chase publicity by exposing them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like