back to article Facebook sticks vid ads on faux retro photo app biz Instagram

Photo filter and poster biz Instagram has started serving up those pic and video ads it has been promising for a while now, with marketing from folks like Disney and the CW starting today. Youtube Video The Facebook subsidiary said last year that it had “big ideas for the future” and they involved making money out of its user …

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Help

Let's hope that dear ol El Reg doesn't also decide that it is a good idea... Static ads are bad enough never mind the 4k video, bandwidth slurrping, louder than normal volume , shock provoking ads that are rammed in your face displayed elsewhere.

1. Friendly Neighbourhood Coder Dan

Re: Help

So you are suggesting that they should introduce a subscription option for people like you who'd pay for it rather than seeing ads?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can tell when stuff is piss poor

... by the way it has to be promoted/pushed.

Bad films, the Ask toolbar, overpriced and oversold 'beauty' products, Google Chrome, Yahoo toolbar, McAfee antivirus checker..... The list goes on

3. Avatar of They
    Pint

Top Marks

I like what you did there El Reg. I have to skip an advert for Connect in order to see the 15 second advert you were trying to show me.

...But still no effect on me as instagram is pants.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where are the 'Digital Environmentalists'?

Yet more polution on tinternet.

5. Vector

What a delightful way..

...to kill off that company for which you paid handsomely. Making users watch videos in an "insta" app and sucking up their precious mobile data allocation.

Brilliant!!!

6. Gannettt

I remember...

...when Instagram was a fun photo app. Some users could do amazing things with low-res photos and filters. The rot started with people taking selfies and tagging them with the entire OED (#dogshit > selfie) Now this. I get that they want to make cash, but video ads?

I'm going back to Flickr...it's been forgotten by most people, and there's some genuinely interesting and creative photograph there.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like