back to article Has the United Nations taken over the Internet yet?

For the past five days, and the next nine, dozens of government representatives are in Busan, Korea discussing changes to the international telecommunications regime. It is the Plenipotentiary conference of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the arm of the United Nations that tries to coordinate telecoms efforts …

1. frank ly

IPv6 benefits

" India has proposed the entire system is changed so IP addresses are more traceable, ..."

This would match well with the rollout of IPv6. Governments/ITU could have fine control of the mapping between IPv6 address and the user/group/location. When the IoT is upon us, 'they' will know how many slices of toast you've made and when.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

toast?

But I'm going to run a virtual IoToaster network to report confusing ... oops ... just realised the bread-slice accounting will look suspicious unless I also construct a similar virtual breadmaker cluster, but what about the necessary virtual flour? Hmm.

Dammit, back to the virtual drawing board.

3. John G Imrie

WG2 on Child protection ,,,

Might also be worth following, as we know that the UK Govt, likes to use 'Think of the Children' as an excuse for more draconian laws.

4. Radelix

I kindly request

that Russia and Saudi Arabia fuck off and build their own internet if they are so concerned. Better yet those are not the a fore mentioned countries should cut their peering links till R and SA think better about their proposals.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon