back to article El Reg spends One Night in Hell with Queen's Brian May

The sight of rock stars indulging their interests can sometimes leave onlookers feeling a little queasy – remember McCartney's fondness for Rupert Bear? No? Well let's not go there… However, Brian May, yes he of Queen fame, appeared at Dolby’s private Atmos cinema in London yesterday to tell of where one of his abiding passions …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Excellent!

One more to add to the collection. I already have his 'Village Lost and Found' and can recommend it.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Excellent!

I have it and it's good fun. The only problem is that the print resolution is not as good as that of a photo film and, inevitably, you see the dots making up the image. But that is the fault of the media and not the authors...

2. Semtex451
    Coat

I'm just off to buy a 3D tv to get the full effect on Sky.

Cough pub cough

3. Hurn

Typo

so you view the scenes in much the same was

Should be "so you view the scenes in much the same way"

Non-related comment:

Stereo reproduction of the static pictures can be accomplished without the need of optics:

Instead of having the images side by side, with the left image lined up for the left eye on the left, swapping the positions of the images on paper allows for the viewers to simply cross their eyes and focus. True, not everyone can focus with eyes crossed, but those who can do not need the owl or any other special reading device.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Typo

Crosseyed viewing works very well and I use it all the time (see sites like phereo.com) but parallel viewing has some advantages. Mainly, it retains the perception of scale (where crosseyed images appear smaller subjectively). But parallel free-viewing is only possible for very small-size pairs - so a viewer like OWL is usually required.

There are more expensive adjustable prismatic or periscopic viewers which allow one to view cross- or parallel-eyed stereopairs of virtually any size, but OWL works just fine with the "standard"-size cards.

4. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Cool

If you cross your eyes while looking at the first image (just as if you were looking at one of those "magic eye" images), it works!

It's better with the smaller image

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

That image, along with most 'Magic Eye' (autostereogram) ones

rely on you looking past the image, with your eyelines approaching parallel, not cross-eyed.

Not sure what the fuss is about other than Brian May's involvement though, as I've seen Victorian stereogram cards reproduced in several autostereogram collection books (just not the actual 'Magic Eye' ones).

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: That image, along with most 'Magic Eye' (autostereogram) ones

Easiest way with side-by-side images like these is to shrink the images somewhat (ctrl-scroll) and let your eyes *un*cross. You're looking to see three images; the middle one overlays the left and right and pops up in stereo.

Once you get the hang, you can increase the scale up to about 62mm wide for each picture (the average eye separation). Some people can manage even wider, but I find it difficult.

5. Marcus Aurelius
    Coat

Will it be

...an owl-ing success?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

Re: Will it be

The owls are not what they seem....

6. frank ly

A nice interest, but ...

... how can he claim a patent on a technique that is very old. It's a simple optical viewer and is obvious to anyone who knows a little about it. I made one myself, many years ago, for viewing stereoscopic 35mm slides, copying something that a work colleague had done.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: A nice interest, but ...

Remember View-Master http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View-Master ? You can still buy them. Not sure where mine went, probably in the attic at my Mum's house. We had Grimm's fairy tales reels, Rumpelstiltskin was a particularly evil little bugger in 3D, as I recall.

2. Calum Morrison

I wondered that too - my Tool "10,000 Days" CD has one built into the sleeve. That could be an interesting fight...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think its the manufacturing technique, and the fact it folds flat into a book that is patented, not the actual lenses.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

3DS

lets hope Nintendo slap the slides on to a cartridge for all the kiddies.

8. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

No stereoscopic T-shirt?

You're really asking for trouble, aren't you?

9. Rick Brasche

the book sounds great

the rest, not so much

10. skeptical i
    Happy

Just in time for Dia de los Muertos, wheee! :^)

If the guy with the horns is supposed to be the PHB I guess that could be kinda' hellish.

11. Nick Pettefar

Proof Reading?

The Apps' title is "DELVE INTO THE WORLD OF OF THE DEVILISH 1860s SENSATION"

Hmmm... Taking a devil of of of a long time to download too.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like