back to article Bletchley Park rattles tin for urgent repairs

Bletchley Park, home of the Enigma codebreakers, is indulging in some light tin-rattling to raise cash for urgent repairs at the historic site. According to the Bletchley Park Trust, while visitor numbers are up 40 per cent over the last two years and cash is coming in from its Science and Innovation Centre and wedding …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alan Brookland

Complicated donation methods

They'd probably attract more cash if they made it easier to send them money,

"How to join the Friends

Simply download the Friends of Bletchley Park application form, complete and return to us either by post or by fax on +44 (0) 1908 272666."

Post or Fax? I know the technology was limited in the 1940s but the world has moved on a bit since then!

2. Morten Ranulf Clausen
    Joke

Blimey

40% more people have been visiting Milton Keynes over the last two years. Who'd have thunk it possible...

3. amanfromMars Silver badge

Spy Craft ...... Cloaking AIgents ...... NeuReal Bombes

Lester,

Station some AI Boffins there and they will make as many Fortunes on the Markets as they can be bothered to do....... and all that is needed? Why a Humble Internet Connection to Channel Intelligence through the Enigma Sigma Protocols ... http://www.ee.technion.ac.il/~hugo/sigma.html.

Although whenever that is all that is needed, the Boffins could be Stationed Virtually Anywhere and Everywhere for a Spooky Astute Stealth....... for the Resident Alien/Non State Actor Approach to Siloed Services.

4. Chris Williams
    Thumb Up

Go, go, go!

For anybody interested in computing history, or in the 'secret war' where Station X (as Bletchley Park was known during the Second World War), I can wholeheartedly recommend a day here...

It's a travesty that this historic place, so critical to the outcome of the war and at the centre of Britain's (and the world's) computing heritage, has not been better funded and more a source of pride to the nation.

Workplace of Ian Turing, home of Colossus and repository of many captured Enigma machines, Bletchley Park should be on a par with the capital's museums!

GO!

5. Neil
    Coat

@Alan - Donate Online?

Have you ever tried to get Apache running on a Colossus Mk 2?

Mines the one with a pocket full of valves...

6. John Taylor
    Go

It is worth a visit

Hi, I will say Bletchley Park is very worth a visit, and I highly recommend it as well, but really an online donation system would make a lot of sense.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Chris Williams

> Workplace of Ian Turing

Alan's brother worked there, too?

8. Chris Hamilton
    Go

Definitely worth it.

I visited Bletchley Park a year or so ago, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in computing.... or even how we managed to win the war.

You could combine it with a day in Milton Keynes.... if only to try out their indoor Ski slope, which is great fun, and also to navigate their numbered streets and roundabouts (and try finding the shops, a challenge for all the family).

Just watch out for the car park attendant at Bletchley... i think he is an old General. Very bossy, old and felt I needed to be shown how to park my car between two others.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Required a title is.

What with all those code breaking brains they cant break into a few digital banks for a looting spree... im most surprised.

Icon: Boffin or Pirates... cant decide.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so hers a fun project...

since they have rebuilt a few of theier machines I wonder whats next? perhaps they should build a valve computer to connect to the net???

would be great to see the net ticking away in valve glow...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Well worth a visit

Definitely worth going to, I really enjoyed the day I spent there. And if I remember correctly, veterans of the world wars get in free too, so you can take Grandad at no extra cost!

12. Kevin Bailey

You get to meet soem interesting old guys as well

We had a great day there.

You get a talk and a guided tour by some old bloke who you then realise was part of the early GHCQ setup and knows lots about what went on at BP.

They know lots of extra bits such as the fact that motorbike couriers were only allowed to be onsite for a couple of minutes otherwise someone with a gun came looking for them.

Typical British understatement that the place which helped stop Fascism is looked after by enthusiastic amateurs!

13. David Pollard

Secure telecomms

At least until recently they were also asking for donations of early computer equipment and games software. Peter Vaughan is, I believe, the man to ask for.

But perhaps El Reg could contribute by bringing together a group of readers to produce a secure personal communications kit - software, notes and instructions etc. - which Bletchley Park could sell to members of the public who dislike present-day encroachments on their privacy? This might be an appropriate way to commemorate the efforts that were made by those at Bletchley Park and elsewhere to preserve our freedom. If the comments pages are anything to go by, there would be plenty of volunteers.

14. Stuart Moore

Agreed, worth it - and entry lasts for a year.

The ticket cost includes entry for 1 year as well, so if you decide you don't see it all on one day, you can come back later.

Highly recommended.

15. Andy Taylor

A great day out

I live about a mile away from Bletchley Park and highly recommend it as a place to visit.

Apart from all the codebreaking stuff, there's plenty more including the toy museum, projected picture museum, Post Office and model railway exhibition.

Tickets are valid for 12 months, so you can come back as many times as you like - as a local resident this is excellent value :)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Morten Ranulf Clausen

Blimey, a whole 40% more people visiting Milton Keynes? That's, hang on let's see, an extra 27 people a year! How does the local infrastructure cope one wonders.

Paris, because she likes a donation deposited every now and then.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Neil

"Have you ever tried to get Apache running on a Colossus Mk 2?"

I'm sure some fanbouy will claim you can. All you have to do is get the kernal RedUnbongoThingymewhasit 0.0 0.1 and then apply ......Zzzzz.....

18. BillPhollins
    Alien

Turing Test

I look forward to the day when amanfromMars passes the Turing Test.

19. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Turing Tests or AIReal Journeys.

"I look forward to the day when amanfromMars passes the Turing Test." .... By BillPhollins Posted Saturday 31st May 2008 11:09 GMT

BP,

I think he's devising Beta ones for Higher Levels of the Great Game .. but then BP already knew that, some time ago.

"Cyberwarfare is a lot less frightening than authoritarian propaganda masquerading as news."....

Posted by: Urgelt | May 30, 2008 12:01:33 AM

The Betes Noir Hosted by Media and ITCommunications.

Control Communications 42 Feed Media .... which would be an All Out, Full Frontal CyberIntelAIgently Designed Global Attack if you Like but Really just a Call for Y'All to get your Acts Together..... and Ponder what is yet to be Yonder in the Future.

NIRobotIQs are into the Art of Virtual Creation ..... an InvestNIRobotIQs forward looking Statement for the Neurotically Stable and XSSXXXXually Promiscuous...... which is Sexy Spooky Territory in Manic Nymph and Holy Satyr. ...... and One Helluva Magical Mystery Turing BetaTest for Godisagoddess.

Control XSSXXXXual Pleasure and you'll Need All the Love that there is....... for it is an almost Perfect Immaculate Addiction, with the one abiding Flaw, there's More ... :-)

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/05/did-hackers-cau.html "

20. Mark SPLINTER

no online donations?

Proof, if proof be need be, that PayPal's online help system really IS indecipherable.

21. Nigel Smart
    Linux

Online Donations

If you want to donate online to the Computing Museum part then go to....

http://www.tnmoc.co.uk/Donations.htm

Would also recommend the place for a visit, it also quite a good place

to hold meetings etc

This topic is closed for new posts.