back to article Are you a gun owner? Let us in OR ELSE, say Blighty's top cops

The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) has announced a legal tweak intended to allow police officers to turn up at the homes of gun owners, without warning, and demand to inspect guns stored on the premises. A new Crimestoppers hotline is also in operation to encourage people to dob in gun owners they suspect of …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge

Does not say the owners need to be home either. Imagine coming home with the front door smashed in and a post it note from the local constabulary waiting on the post box.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Headmaster

Is this the home of Mr. Isis?

It would be enough to make one open incontinent fire in utter rage.

2. rh587

"Does not say the owners need to be home either. Imagine coming home with the front door smashed in and a post it note from the local constabulary waiting on the post box."

And why would that happen? They have no new right of entry, as every statement has made abundantly clear. They knock on your door and either you're not in, or you are in and let them in, or are in but tell them now's not convenient and send them away.

The Police cannot force entry to your house without a warrant, or unless:

- They believe life is at imminent risk

- An offence is in progress or about to take place

This applies to all offences, whether relating to drugs, firearms, violent crime, handling of stolen goods or burglary-in-progress. The Police already had the power to rock up unannounced and break down your door if they thought, say, you were committing the offence of storing more ammunition than you were permitted to hold on your certificate.

Such an act would probably be considered disproportionate relative to the alleged offence, but they could do it. This new guidance literally offers no new powers.

Such scaremongering is the worst of tripe. These are not random spot checks or any other scary tactic. Where the Police have concerns about an individual and wish to visit them, they may simply now visit unannounced rather than making an appointment. This is not a new class of spot checks that are being introduced.

Far more insidious is the new hotline, which no doubt will be quickly abused by busybodies and jilted ex partners keen to anonymously make malicious reports that their ex was suffering from depression or had been heard to make threats relating to their firearms.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Huh. 4 downvotes but no one's actually challenging any of the statements or offering any evidence that Police are going to start conducting Random Spot Checks, or that they are going to force entry to conduct these fictitious spot checks.

Go on, stick your neck out, give us all a clue what you disagree with about this post.

1. intrigid

Reason for downvote

"or offering any evidence that Police are going to start conducting Random Spot Checks"

No evidence needed for a downvote. It's not the legitimate role of police to profile non-criminals to ensure they stay on their best behavior. Unless a person has been convicted of a crime and is under parole conditions, the police have NO valid reason to knock on his door to perform an inspection. All other talk of "evidence the police will violate additional rights" is unnecessary and irrelevant.

1. rh587

Re: Reason for downvote

I absolutely agree it is not the role of Police to profile non-criminals. Which is exactly what they would be doing if they were running random spot checks.

So it's a good job that's not what they're doing.

In addition to pre-arranged visits they are doing unannounced visits where they have actionable intelligence regarding an individual.

Are you suggesting the Police should ignore actionable intelligence? Surely that IS the role of Police?

I'm far more concerned about the Crimestoppers hotline and the tarring us all as extremists bit.

If the Police get a complaint about an individual I'd far sooner have them investigate (their job, to investigate crimes and suspected crimes), get to the bottom of the matter, and either revoke a certificate if there are valid grounds, or not if the complaint turns out to have no merit than have them simply ignore the next Thomas Hamilton.

2. Andy Tunnah

Hmm

I thought they could already do this. Have a shotgun license, never had an inspection apart from the initial one (in 5 years), but I always thought they had the power to do spot checks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm

It's one of those things though - if you said no, go away, you'd probably end up with a siege forming around you. At the least you'd not get your ticket renewed, but more likely you'd end up with a policeman calling you at some point to 'pop in' with the badly worded revocation letter.

So basically in order to keep it you have to let them in if they want.

Anon, obs.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

No idea of what the law actually says on the matter of entry to gun owning houses but there are many ways to gain entry, "I say Constable Plod, can you smell gas?"

The police do have a duty to check gun security. In any case, as I said in a post to another article, British gun owners are necessarily very, very law abiding - if they want to keep their licence/certificate. When the police turned up to check the guns I always let them in. Keeping them out was just inviting trouble.

If the police have an absolute right of immediate entry then even leaving the gun on the cleaning table, unattended, while answering the door bell, can be used as an excuse to revoke. Delay to put everything away - well thats a bit suspicions isn't it?

There is every reason to prevent easy access to guns, eg if a licence/certificate holder is depressed or making threats to their partner during an acrimonious divorce. Sadly now any prophylactic report will likely cause revocation. Overturning that is like bonking standing up in a hammock - bloody difficult. We just need a sense of proportion.

Having said that, Hamilton (Dumblane) was spotted as an odd one by his club, did they not report fully because of the draconian reaction they expected?

1. Eddy Ito

Delay to put everything away - well that's a bit suspicions isn't it?

So what you're saying the best method is to say you were mid extrusion in the bog. We all know you can't flush when the plod are at the door lest they think you're disposing of evidence so to keep it believable you'll need to keep a log or two in a zip top bag for ready deployment into the bowl as evidence. Just don't forget to wipe your fingers before you answer the door as that would be a bit rude.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I say Constable Plod, can you smell gas?"

Wouldn't work round my way, there is no gas...

1. Gerardo McFitzpatrick-O'Toole

All the more reason for suspicion, I should think...

2. rh587

"It's one of those things though - if you said no, go away, you'd probably end up with a siege forming around you."

Well yes, because they have to have a specific reason to justify an unannounced visit.

If they have a specific concern abut an individual they're not going to accept a "sorry, not right now" and toddle off to the doughnut store.

I mean, they probably will - but they'll be back the next evening. And after you've not been able to find 10 minutes to accommodate them for the third occasion they'll have good reason to believe you are being evasive and come back with a warrant.

And I don't actually object to that.... if they have specific intelligence about a specific individual that gives them specific concerns, then I would want them to get to the bottom of the matter. That's what the Police failed to do in the case of Thomas Hamilton, and we can hardly complain about them doing their jobs properly now! And if they try to abuse it, turn them away and call your NGB.

I very much doubt turning them away once would constitute enough good reason to refuse a renewal - the expensive London lawyers retained by people's insurers through their NGB membership would tear that apart.

"You visited my client unannounced. It was not convenient for him to let you in at that moment as he was preparing his young child for bed and you consider this sufficient to revoke a certificate? Did you attempt a second visit, announced or not at a more sociable hour? Did you attempt to follow up with those inquiries? In other words, what has the client done to make themself unsuitable to possess?"

But that wouldn't happen - these are NOT random spot checks - they are triggered by specific intelligence. Which means they have some specific reason to suspect you may be unsuitable. The burden is on you to show good reason (for FACs), the burden is on them to show you are unsuitable. If they cannot do that, the courts will inevitably find in favour of your renewal - and they know it.

2. MrXavia

I thought the same? I assumed they had the power to knock on the door of a registered gun owner and ask to see the firearms and how they are stored?

Surely this is good sense, no?

I don't own firearms, but I love shooting, when my kids are older, I plan to purchase a nice variety of firearms, and I would expect the police to come and inspect my storage before I am granted my license AND on occasion afterwards....

I would even go so far to insist all gun owners pass a safety course...

1. Ian Michael Gumby

"I would even go so far to insist all gun owners pass a safety course..."

In the states, those born after a certain date are required to take a hunter's safety course before they can get their hunting permit. (Older folks like myself are grandfathered in.)

For a conceal carry permit, a portion of the course is on gun safety and maintenance.

As a responsible gun owner, I would welcome a mandatory safety course, however... I'm sure the NRA doesn't agree with me, although they do have Eddie the Eagle for their mascot to teach kids gun safety.

2. rh587

"I thought the same? I assumed they had the power to knock on the door of a registered gun owner and ask to see the firearms and how they are stored?

Surely this is good sense, no?"

They have never done random spot checks.

When my ticket was first granted the FEO went as far as to tell me that, and that I should be immediately suspicious of anyone turning up on my doorstep. He warned there may be odd occasions when it could happen - if say a pattern of local burglaries prompted them to pop around and have a word. They would endeavour to call in advance, but if they hadn't got hold of me beforehand, they would have no problem with me taking their details and waiting outside whilst I called the local station (or these days 101) to confirm their credentials and check that they were on legitimate business.

Whilst they are now doing some specific visits unannounced, I would personally still follow that routine - they don't come in until I'd independently verified their identity. After that I'd probably have no issue letting them in. The Police are not the opposition. At one club I was a member of we had three generations of Police as members (none AFOs, just regular bobbies and shooting ran in the family), as well as a couple of other PCs who shot. Regardless of what the media are trying to whip this into, the average FEO is well aware of what civilian shooting is about and it's in our interest to maintain a mutually co-operative relationship with them, even if their Chief Constables are busy posturing to the media.

3. jebdra

Here in Oz, you have to have a "valid reason" for owning a gun. That can be membership of a club, owning rural land etc. You also need to pass a safety course before they'll give you a licence, mainly centred on safety rather than knowledge of rules. The police can arrive at any time and ask to check serial numbers and inspect storage.

Quite frankly, it's not a problem. Both my husband and I have licences and we have no issues with the firearms people. They've been out to check us twice, both times at reasonable hours. Never anything like suspicion because I was slow to answer the door, or flushed the loo before doing so. Maye we've been lucky.

The special phone number does seem a bit of an invitation to cranks and unfriendly neighbours, but surely they could report via the normal channels just as easily.

4. YetAnotherLocksmith Silver badge

A gun safety course? You mean the mandatory minimum of 6 months in a gun club learning how to shoot before you have a 'good reason' to possess your own isn't enough?

If you want a day long course? Do your range safety officer course!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They currently do it by appointment... However, they can be a bit sneaky.

They phone you up to arrange a convenient time, and then deliberately turn up when you say you'll not be there... Talk to the wife, and ask to see the guns.

If she can open the safe, you're in trouble - She doesn't have the firearms licence, you do. She shouldn't have access. The best she should be able to do is point at the safe and say "They're in there".

3. agricola
    Big Brother

Democracy? Republic? Where?

You people are running as fast as you possibly can to follow the US into being a police state.

Be very careful what you wish for.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Democracy? Republic? Where?

Oh, we have a full on, media driven, breakdown in the rule of law, in progress. A tweak to gun regulation is the least of our worries.

1. Tom 13

Re: Oh, we have a full on, media driven, breakdown in the rule of law

That is precisely the time at which gun rights are most dear.

1. lotus49

There are no and should be no "gun rights". What sort of a society is it that puts owning deadly weapons on a par with the right to liberty, free speech or a fair trial?

It is also worth pointing out that there is no breakdown of law and order here or in the US and nor will there be in the foreseeable future. Right wingers are paranoid and afraid and think that society is about to collapse any minute. They are wrong, it isn't. There is no need to protect oneself with a gun and the statistical evidence (of which there is a vast amount) shows clearly that people who own guns are more likely to die a gun-related death than those who do not - so much for protection.

1. codejunky Silver badge

@ lotus49

Just want you to know I am laughing hard at your oxymoron-

"What sort of a society is it that puts owning deadly weapons on a par with the right to liberty"

If you need this explaining then I suggest you go back to school. Although I am sure if you need to ask there will be people willing to explain the failings of your comment.

2. Kiwi

Re: Oh, we have a full on, media driven, breakdown in the rule of law @lotus49

There are no and should be no "gun rights". What sort of a society is it that puts owning deadly weapons on a par with the right to liberty, free speech or a fair trial?

I don't own a gun.

I own a car, several motorbikes, dozens of knives. I have in my possession baseball bats (I don't play), golf clubs (again I don't play). I have readily available to me anywhere at any time a number of deadly weapons ranging from vehicles to stabbing weapons to blunt objects. Statistically, I believe you will find that any one of these on their own kill more people than all guns.

I have some skills with computers and with the English language. I also speak miniscule amounts of a few other languages. I could use these skills to drive someone to suicide if press reports are to be believed. Same with my phones, my most used one of which is an ancient Motorolla V3 Razr (even just mentioning it has probably caused more deaths than all the worlds guns combined!)

All of these things can be used as deadly weapons. And all can be used in the fight to maintain our freedoms - a fight which it seems is getting closer to requiring blood (see some US "founding father" speech re "Tree of Liberty" or somesuch) with each passing day.

Do we need guns? I hope not. But I'd feel a lot happier about the NZ government if we had a much more armed population. Governments should fear their citizens, not the other way round.

2. Cipher
      FAIL

What? You're kidding, right?

In the US, for now, the police need a warrant to come inside a dwelling they are not invited into.

Safety inspections of gun owners? No way, with so many private gun transactions they don't even know who we all are.

I had no idea life was so repressive in England...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

LOL. Humor, right?

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

"In the US, for now, the police need a warrant to come inside a dwelling they are not invited into."

Unless somebody makes a 911 call (from the payphone in the police station) - in which case they can send in a no-knock swat team with assault rifles and a shoot first policy.

3. Dr_N

@Cypher

US, the land of the free, eh?

Go Google "Civil Asset Forfeiture":

You get stopped by the police in the US, for whatever reason, and they can basically take all your stuff.

Including any cash you may have on you. No chance of getting it back either.

Watch this and get back to us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks

Now that is repressive.

1. Eddy Ito

These types of civil asset forfeiture laws need to be challenged in the federal courts all the way to the Supreme Court inasmuch as they are nothing more than an end run around the Fourth and Fifth Amendments. Unfortunately few people are sufficiently knowledgeable or financially able to mount such a challenge especially after their assets have been taken. I've got a dollar that says that the police are very well trained to pick folks who either won't or can't fight back.

2. jason 7

I thought it was highway robbery.

3. intrigid

Indeed. The way people worship government is absolutely no different than how people worship God or Allah. We thank government for the food on our plates, and we pray that government will both protect us and smite our enemies. We consider ourselves "moral" for being law-abiding citizens is if the law was our holy book. And in both cases (worshipping god, worshipping government), the same mental illness is at play. At this point I don't think Christianity and Islam are the largest religions in the world. The state now holds the #1 spot.

4. casaloco

The problem of course

The problem of course is that it relies of the police officers judgement.

Of late, our police have been shown to, at best, have very poor judgement.

1. Dr_N

Re: The problem of course

"Of late, our police have been shown to, at best, have very poor judgement."

Oh I don't know:

Spending seized money on frozen margarita machines for the station shows pretty good judgement IMHO.

2. Scroticus Canis
      Holmes

Re: The problem of course

@casaloco - you forgot to mention the judges who don't seem to have to firm a grip on proper judgement either. That goes for both sides of the pond.

5. Khaptain Silver badge

“Our aim is not to catch out gun owners,” said ACPO's Chief Constable Andy Marsh, their lead for firearms licensing matters, “which is why we are giving notice that these visits will be taking place. We want to work with the shooting community to ensure gun owners are aware of how to keep their firearms secure and, where appropriate, give advice to individual owners.”

A little leaflet would be just fine, as a legal firearm owner I can't imagine what "justifiable" reason they could really have.

As both a hunter and a sports shooter I know many, many people that own firearms, none of which need Mr Bobby knocking on the door to remind them how to do things, they already know how to be secure, responsable. ( Mr Bobby won't change the minds of those that don't)

First of all Mr Bobby doesn't probalby know correct firearms procedure as he is not allowed to carry, use, own a firearm himself( unless of course he has been properly trained and in that case he already has much better things to do with his time, like catching the bad guys).

Secondly, most "legal" firearms owners are already responsable, they had to foot the bill and keep footing the bill for their arms and/or munitions, neither of which are cheap and are both a constant reminder that what you possess are not toys.

Hunters know from first hand experience what guns do, if you have gutted a deer and saw the damage modern munition do you will know what I mean. No one wants that happening to them. All hunters have to do training courses, or at least now they do. So yes, they know about reponsability and security.

Sport shooters are "obliged" to follow strict procedures at the range. Guns are in an unuseable state whilst being tranported, munitions are kept seperate. As the range no gun comes out it''s case unless it is being used. Muzzles always point down range, guns never out of sight, loaded guns never laid down, guns on tables must have the chamber shown etc etc etc etc etc. So yes, they already know about reponsability too.

So who exactly are these laws supposed to apply to, who "legally" owns a gun that doesn't already know about their responsabilities/security.

If I am a bad guy, it doesn't matter about these kinds of laws, take away my guns and I will use a crossbow, baseball bat, hammer, catapult, fork, half brick, piece of two by four, rottweiller, broom handle or in the last, wife..... I will always find a method to cause harm if that is my intended goal.

I know that every year there are firearms accidents, very few are actually accidents, many of them are just down to plain stupidity and that can't be resolved by handing out lessons on firearms safety.....

I can understand that these laws apply to "illegal" owners but certainely not for the legal owners. My home is my home, it has taken years of sweat and labour, as much as the IT industry can create sweat and labour and I do not see any valid reason for Mr Bobby to have the powers to enforce entry just because I "legally" own firearms. I don't mind being asked by invitation, but I certainely cannot agree to being forced. I am after all doing absolutely nothing that goes against the law..

It's a long rant but it's Sunday and this pisses me off... These damned people are making me worried that the future is going to get bad....I can only imagine that what they really want is to further discourage people from owning firearms. We must ask ourselves why.....

1. leexgx

some one who owns a firearm illegally this will not affect them at all as the police will not be aware of them, very small % have a gun license as there is a lot of fluff with needing to have one (in the USA you can for the most par in most states just walk in and buy a gun)

more people have explosive license then gun licenses

need to get an Personal defence device my self , a fire extinguisher (and maybe a golf ball) and Purple Die spray so police can pull them when they see a purple head walking around

1. Khaptain Silver badge

>need to get an Personal defence device my self , a fire extinguisher (and maybe a golf ball) and Purple Die spray

As long as they are designed by Uziel Gal rather than Philippe Starck you should be Ok. Just make sure that you tidy them up afterwards otherwise the TidyPolice might come a kicking down your door.

2. cortland

Personal defence -- and everyone will know them. For WEEKS.

A wax-sealed squeeze bottle of nuoc-mam. Something to remember the visit by, you know?

"Oh, just cooking, come in." (squeeze)

"Oops."

"In passenger planes nuoc mam is banned. Twenty years ago, a Vietnamese student violated the ban by slipping a bottle of nuoc mam into his bag. He escaped the vigilance of customs officers, but at the Berlin airport, slipped and fell full length on the floor of the waiting lounge. The bottle broke and the fluid spread in all directions. It is said that it took the cleaning staff many days to deodorize the room."

http://www.vietvisiontravel.com/vietnam/guide_81_of_tastes_and_smells_2707.html

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The police have often been criticised for the way they treat certain inner city ethnic minority youth compared to the deference shown by the village bobby to the local squire.

4am raids by tactical firearm units on the landed gentry to check their shotgun cabinets are merely a new equal opportunity policy aimed at treating everyone the same.

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Unhappy

Situation normal

Something Must Be Done (tm). Crims not inconvenienced in the least bit, everyone else shat upon. Not forgetting that the two most serious gun events in this country occurred after the Cops had repeated warnings about the perps.

P.S. I'm not a gun owner, and never likely to be, but ones I know are extremely responsible and have my full support on this.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ACPO Ltd, aka Illegal Spies R Us (Mark Kennedy/Stone etc)

"These damned people are making me worried that the future is going to get bad."

If you think this is the worst that ACPO Ltd have lined up for us all, I can only imagine you've been following the wrong news sources over the last few years.

It's a shame this article was wasted; there's plenty to say about ACPO but this isn't near the top of the list.

8. Trigonoceps occipitalis

"the ridiculous suggestion that licence holders might be vulnerable to radicalisation"

The police know:

Who we are.

Details of our family.

Several references from pillars of the community.

The firearms we have.

Where we live.

Where we keep the guns and ammunition.

The security arrangements.

The results of an extensive background check.

I do hope they have an inkling of who is likely to be radicalised.

9. Mark 85

Looks like mission creep is slowling happening.

Just an observation from one in the States. This appears to be mission creep due to a political agenda. Not being over there, I wouldn't know who's agenda. Part of why we Americans have the reputation we have as gun owners is that we have been fighting this for many decades, and not just in the gun ownership arena. Much of it here is overt and brings out the loudest screams. Yours seems more subtle.

The old "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" line is pure BS. Because what's legal today may not be legal tomorrow.

Follow the money and the agenda.... there's something/someone behind this besides "public safety".

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Non story

What pointless mockrage.

Does anyone at The Reg even hold an FAC? Why is there so much opinion written?

The only change is that unannounced visits are now explicitly condoned. Big deal.

The police usually visit suspects without an appointment. They also often take firearms into "safekeeping" while enquiries are made. If an FAC holder is considered to be a threat to the public things already get very bad very quickly for them.

Constables can always enter premises if a crime is suspected of being committed. The licensing office should not be confused with constables though.

That said, all laws will eventually get abused even though this isn't a law change. Fortunately I find Derbyshire's licensing office is the epitome of professionalism but nationally they vary enormously.

The police cannot affect the licence fee. It is solely at the discretion of the Home Secretary. There is less than zero appetite in the Tory party to visit firearms legislation. Even if they did the House of Lords moderates any interference of their green welly shoots.

We already have to be careful of scaring the curtain twitchers but I don't think this "clarification" or the new "panic line" will have them ringing it off the hook.

No-one at my club is at all interested in this matter. Nor do we consider firearms ownership to be a litmus test of our "freedom."

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Non story

I hold an FAC and I wrote the column (we even put it in the URL for you, just to make it easy), so thanks for that.

Read the other stuff I've written - particularly on the licence fee going up at the instigation of the Association of Chief Police Officers starting last year - and then come back to me.

You've had your head in the sand if you truly think the police aren't driving any of this, or even that the Conservatives aren't interested in firearms legislation. Norman Baker's Tory predecessor, Damian Green, vetoed ACPO's demand to quadruple FAC fees, and various muckrakers claim Cameron himself vetoed it again after Green was shuffled out for Baker.

1. dan1980

@Gareth

That all may be true, but would you agree that, if they have reason to suspect someone, the police usually arrive without scheduling it with the suspect?

Say if a neighbour calls about a suspected domestic disturbance, the police don't call first, they just come. This is hardly new and, regardless of whether you think this practice as a whole is right or not, one wouldn't expect gun owners not to be subject to the same unannounced visits if a neighbour has called them.

If I'm missing something whereby this does indeed rate as a new power for the police, please clarify.

Of course, whether this 'clarification' will be result in abuse or not is up for debate but is also an entirely separate issue.

1. gazthejourno

Everyone knows that the police have the power to turn up unannounced if there's an actual problem. As the shooting orgs say, this latest change doesn't appear, on the face of it, to give them any new powers. If they've got genuine suspicions, they have the power to revoke FACs and/or get an arrest warrant from a judge.

Yet it does seem the way this has been communicated to police forces by ACPO, away from the public eye, is "You now have the go-ahead for unannounced spot checks".

I am absolutely not cool with the police having official blessing to turn up on my doorstep and "persuade" me to open the door on pain of "consequences".

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Read the other stuff I've written - particularly on the licence fee going up at the instigation of the Association of Chief Police Officers starting last year - and then come back to me."

Why would anyone here care about your firearms writings? This was supposed to be an IT website. Or is there some correlation/causation between working in IT and being a firearms person?

1. gazthejourno

Given the level of discussion these stories generate, quite a few do seem to be interested.

As for the off-topicness, read all about the Weekend Edition here. You'll note (with some rare exceptions) my firearms writings only tend to be published on weekends, when the whole of the Reg goes off-piste.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If I panicked every time yet another Chicken Licken or the BASC went off again I'd give it all up.

ACPO don't get "vetoed" as they don't get a vote. More mis-information. *sigh*

The Statutory Instrument for fees is referenced in the 1968 Firearms Act.

ACPO don't want any public ownership of firearms whatsoever but none of their pressure has ever amounted to anything happening.

Juniors out to make a name don't get anywhere either such as that nob Brokenshire.

In charge of firearms legislation are first and foremost the tabloids. Second is the EU.

Review these words and The Act in 12 months and we'll see who was right. ;o)

A little matter happening in May absolutely guarantees nothing is on the horizon.

Care for a wager? :o))

Like I said, heard it all before so many many times over the years.

Re: Re: Non story

Alright, as I'm not really a gambling man (or a rich one - perhaps the two are linked?) I'll stake you a tenner that FAC fees will rise by December 31st this year. Winner collects at Bisley Camp. Deal?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Your right about the fee's upto a point, however NuLabia will use the acpo CO LTDs output to show that those very green welly shooters are an unfair burden upon the tax payer, no matter the 'public benefit' of the FAC/SGC controls, if NuLabia get in expect fee's to go up solely on the basis of the acpo CO LTDs bleatings.

11. Omgwtfbbqtime

Black powder

Almost makes me want to take up Napoleonic reenactment and get a muzzle loader, say a Baker rifle - no! a Volleygun!

Apparently being a reenactor is a valid reason for having a shotgun permit.

1. YetAnotherLocksmith Silver badge

Re: Black powder

That's also why there are more explosives licenses than firearms/shotgun certificates now. Many people bought BP muzzle loader pistols after the cartridge pistols were banned.

12. Anomalous Cowshed

We are the police

We can do what we want, so, tough on you, mate

13. bitmap animal
    Facepalm

Does anyone have any idea on the statistics of gun crime by licensed holders compared to illegally held guns............ Just something to consider.Does anyone have any idea on the statistics of gun crime by licenced holders agains illigally held guns............

1. dan1980

@bitmap animal

This is a perennial point made by gun owners and gun associations/lobbyists and it is a valid point but not in this specific context. Or at least not particularly relevant to this 'clarification'.

These checks are there to ensure that the conditions of the license are being met. In the UK, as in Australia, firearms must be kept in approved safes. The reason this is required is that, should they be kept in an insecure fashion, there is a far greater likelihood that they will end up in the possession of an unlicensed person - either a thief or a child/co-resident.

This is a legitimate concern and a standards-compliant gun safe is a proportionate requirement.

Given the potential danger that firearms pose if they fall into unlicensed hands, inspection of gun safes is a justified measure.

The only question, of course, is whether carrying out these inspections at random is justified.

For my part, in Australia, this is already the way it works - 6-monthly checks, carried out at random. It is a bit of an imposition and it would certainly be more convenient for the licensee to have these checks scheduled so the question is: does a random check achieve something that a scheduled one does not.

The answer is 'yes'.

Given that the requirements specify that the firearms must be stored in an approved safe, scheduled checks are only able to check that the owner has a safe and possesses the rudimentary intelligence necessary to put their guns in it before the police arrive for the inspection.

Only a random inspection can ascertain whether the guns are actually stored in the safe day-to-day.

This is exactly the reason why health/food-safety checks or employment checks are conducted at random - to assess the conditions day-to-day.

These checks are important exactly because it's not the licensed gun owners who are the problem - it's licensed firearms getting into unlicensed hands.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Licenced firearms falling into the wrong hands are far less of a problem than unlicenced arms. In France for example the craze amongst the bad guys has been for the acquisition of AK47s. These firearms come mainly from the Baltic regions and no amount of door knocking is going to stop that flow of arms.....

Within certain circles it is just ass easy to buy a gun than it is to buy small to medium amounts of drugs. Which basically equals - readilly available...

1. dan1980

@Khaptain

Very likely so. I don't have the figures so I have no reason to doubt you - certainly sounds about right, though I would question whether the situation in continental Europe is directly comparable to the UK. I have no doubt that it's still quite easy enough to get unlicensed firearms but I can't help thinking it would be at least slightly harder, simply given the geography.

However, none of that changes the fact that improperly secured licensed firearms are a risk and it is entirely reasonable to therefore make all reasonable efforts to ensure that they are properly stored.

I say 'all reasonable efforts' and this is the core contention it seems - whether it is reasonable to have unannounced checked. As I said in my post, scheduled checks are only able to determine whether the owner has an appropriate safe and is at least smart enough to put all the guns away before the inspection. It can't tell you whether the owner stores them in the safe day-to-day.

There is, therefore, a risk that owners are not storing their firearms correctly and simply 'cleaning up' beforehand. Whether random inspections are a reasonable measure to combat the risk is a worthwhile debate but there really shouldn't be any question whether that risk is real.

And it's not so much about firearms being stolen by burglars that is the core concern, though that exists. The primary concern, I would expect, at least, is that firearms might fall into the hands of children/adolescents in the same house or your teenage son's slightly dodgy friend.

You only have to look at the US and see that it is not even a little far fetched to have children injuring and even killing themselves with their parents guns, which they have found, loaded and kept close and ready for self defence.

I accept you comment at face value - that there are other sources of firearms that are of greater concern. I am just saying that simply because there is another, bigger problem, that doesn't mean this one isn't worth addressing.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The issue with "spot checks" is that by having the police rock up and pound on your door, all you have done (especially in places like London proper) is to announce to your neighbourhood THAT YOU HAVE GUNS.

The first rule of owning guns in an urban environment is...don't talk about owning guns in an urban environment.

The second rule of owning guns in an urban environment is...don't talk about owning guns in an urban environment!!!

There is no bleeding way I want my neighbours to know that I may have a gun safe (I don't, I keep mine at the club), or even gun paraphernalia. I usually walk to and from my car by whatever route takes me away from prying eyes, and usually covering up as much stuff as possible under coats, bags, etc. On the rare occasion that I have had to transport a firearm into my house on the way somewhere else, I have always endeavoured to make sure it is in anything that does NOT look like a gun case.

Happy to have the police inspectors pop round if they call and give me notice so that I can be home, and not engaged in anything personal. So that they do not have to make a scene at my front door, so that they don't even have to wait. Just nice and smooth, and preferably in plain clothes.

But worse than the checks is this Crimestoppers line, which basically makes each and every one of us a target for anyone that has a grudge to bear. There is already 101 for legitimate complaints...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I believe the stats used to show the number of 'guns' stolen includes any reference to 'gun', i.e. an air gun, a toy gun, a heat gun, it also includes firearms 'lost' by Police AFOs and the military, anything to bulk up the numbers for the press to frighten the people...

1. lotus49

You believe wrongly. Can you justify that fairly outrageous claim?

3. shovelDriver

Potential Dangers

Given the potential danger that vehicles pose, or hammers, drills, screwdrivers, or steam kettles, knives, forks, scissors . . .

Policeing "potential" dangers is, for the most part, fortune-telling. Thought control.

Objects pose no dangers, potential or otherwise, with the exception of those influenced by "Mother Nature". Such as large boulders falling downhill, or waves rushing ashore. People, on the other hand, through carelessness in using or maintaining machinery, factories, homes, facilities, streets, railways, or through - with - intent . . .

And those who are clueless as to the true nature of reality are the most dangerous.

14. Dave Bell

Crimestoppers is the worry

Crimestoppers, to me, suggests anonymous tip-offs.

It's a long time ago now, but I had a couple of experiences with a particular shotgun user that scared me. Not big time, but I wondered. You grow up, in the countryside, expecting certain standards, and seeing a bunch of guys out shooting on a foggy day... Can they see far enough to be safe? But you have to live in the same village. An anonymous tip-off would have been a temptation, but I am not sure how anonymous it would have turned out to be.

Not every legal shotgun or firearms owner is flawless, even if they never start shooting people. And neither are the Police. And then the politicians stick their oar in.

I don't know what I would have done if this Crimestoppers option had been available.

1. jason 7

Re: Crimestoppers is the worry

I lived in a similar area. Walking through the village and seeing shotguns and cartridges left on the back seats of cars overnight was a common occurrence.

They are not gardening tools or plumbing equipment.

A small minority inside another small minority.

15. YARR

First they came for the gun owners...

"now Minister Baker, we want you to sign this brief for us... or.. you remember what happened to our unfortunate friend? Don't try anything, no one will believe you. We'll make quite sure of that. You will sign that brief tomorrow". <click>

16. adminspotting

You are plain wrong when you say:

"The Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) has announced a legal tweak intended to allow police officers to turn up at the homes of gun owners, without warning, and demand to inspect guns stored on the premises."

They cannot "without warning [...] demand to inspect guns [lawfully] stored on the premises".

They can turn up at your door unannounced.

They can *ask* to check your security measures.

You can tell them to piss off.

Unfortunately, anyone who legally holds a shotgun/firearm probably wouldn't be best advised to tell the plod to piss off, but the plod can't turn up unannounced and *demand* to inspect your security arrangements or weapons.

1. codejunky Silver badge

@ adminspotting

"Unfortunately, anyone who legally holds a shotgun/firearm probably wouldn't be best advised to tell the plod to piss off, but the plod can't turn up unannounced and *demand* to inspect your security arrangements or weapons."

Sounds very much like that is the end result. If they cant force a yes but it is ill advised you say no then the end result = ....YES! And of course a rushed helpline to allow grassing on neighbours which we have yet to see the response to. And 'anonymous' callers about a house that said no is not out of the realm of possibility considering the routine abuse of power by the police.

2. rh587

"Unfortunately, anyone who legally holds a shotgun/firearm probably wouldn't be best advised to tell the plod to piss off, but the plod can't turn up unannounced and *demand* to inspect your security arrangements or weapons."

Technically they could.

If they had reasonable belief you were not complying with the conditions of your certificate, then they would have a reasonable belief that you were committing an offence - and they have the right under PACE to force entry to secure and preserve evidence.

Apparently people object to the Police asking nicely to come in for a quick chat and would be prefer to be barged out the way as they force their way in!

3. Tom 13

Re: wouldn't be best advised to tell the plod to piss off

If you can't tell him to leave, he isn't just asking politely is he?

So yes, it IS an increase in power. If the police need to show up unscheduled, they should need to take it in front of a judge for approval. Even that can be just a procedural instead of actual protection in some places. But leaving the police as judge and police is ill advised.

1. dan1980

@Tom 13

Is it any different to (as I have compared it to above,) a domestic disturbance, where a neighbor might call the police, who then turn up - unannounced - and, if they believe there is any risk, have the power to enter?

1. FutureShock999

Yes it is different.

A domestic disturbance is here and now, and someone is in jeopardy. IF a similar situation exists with a gun owner, the correct response is 999, NOT an anonymous Crimestoppers line. Given a 999 call, the police already have sufficient power to enter immediately if they believe a crime is being committed and someone is in danger.

What this seeks to do is give police that same power, even when there is NO IMMEDIATE THREAT. So you say you have concerns that someone is not securing their guns properly, or is being radicalised? OK, fine, neither of these place anyone in jeopardy TODAY. The police should go see a judge, and get a warrant to enter. If they cannot convince a judge that they have sufficient reason to enter without telling you in advance, then...perhaps they don't.

That is supposedly part of the checks and balances so that the police do not become the law unto themselves. This change effectively entails that where gun owners are concerned, they now are.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Half cocked

I remember a time when owning a gun was normal, it was no big deal.

Now it's like you are pre-approved for a Gitmo vacation.

1. lotus49

Re: Half cocked

I don't know where you live but owning a gun has never been normal in the UK.

I grew up in the Yorkshire countryside and there were certainly quite a few people who owned shotguns but they were never anywhere near the majority. It was almost entirely farmers and the landed gentry. In town, only a tiny proportion of people in the UK have ever owned a gun. Long may that be so.

18. HKmk23

Ahhh....the freedom (or rather the loss of it)

The 1903 Pistols Act was the first, followed by the 1920 Firearms Act which was implemented simply because the powers that be were worried about another Bolshevik revolution in the UK after WW1 broke the class boundaries.

Since then the UK governments aim has been to remove all possible power from the people whenever possible.

Dunblane was a terrible act carried out by a certifiable psychiatric case whom the local police, the Strathclyde senior police officer all knew about but did nothing, That is why the senior officer in Strathclyde resigned. All in all a shameful episode mismanaged by the police.

Unannounced visits by police are what I would expect anywhere, quite frankly I have no objection.

I have previously held a FAC in the UK and currently hold the equivalent where I live in France (I still shoot full bore pistol).

19. rh587

"The British Association for Shooting and Conservation, meanwhile, seems to have completely changed its position on random spot checks."

Gareth, could you point out - anywhere in the official guidance or law - that says Police are allowed to do random spot checks?

The current guidance states that officers must offer specific reasons why they are visiting. If not, you would be well justified in turning them away (moreover, the Police do not have the resource to randomly spot-check a meaningful percentage of certificate holders on a meaningfully regular basis).

As far as I can tell, BASC have not u-turned at all. Visits to a certificate holder for specific reasons have always been a possibility - they may now be unannounced instead of pre-booked. All the Governing Bodies are advising certificate holders to cooperate with Police, unless they feel that proper procedure (giving of good and specific reasons, etc) has not been followed, in which case to report all details. If indeed the Police chose to abuse these unannounced visits and set up random spot-checking, such a pattern would emerge pretty quickly at national level and I think you would find BASC et al let their lawyers off the leash fairly rapidly.

TL;DR Unannounced != random

1. gazthejourno

I have a theory about how this can be turned into a legally defensible method of carrying out truly random spot-checks. It's to do with constant monitoring of FAC/SGC holders, unaudited local "intelligence" databases full of gossip and innuendo ("can't be too careful with gun owners, you know, especially after Cumbria") and no requirement to state the actual piece of intelligence which led to the visit when on the doorstep.

Put it another way. If this gives the police no extra powers at all, then why bother going to the effort of having FELWG put it through top-level stakeholder consultation and getting the minister to sign it off? Qui bono?

My reading of this is that uniformed coppers could rock up on your doorstep unannounced. To stay within the letter of the guidance Plod just needs to say "We have received intelligence that gives us cause for concern about your suitability to hold an FAC. Please will you allow us in now for a chat," while his mate double-checks his list of lawful powers with which to force entry. You know exactly what will happen if you say no in that scenario. What other choice do you have than to let them in? Having let them in voluntarily, many of your legal safeguards are not engaged as they would be if a statutory power or search warrant was used, meaning the two officers have carte blanche to poke around your home on a fishing expedition.

All Plod needs to say, when he stands up in court later, is that an anonymous caller to the new Crimestoppers hotline said they heard raised voices from your home and saw you stomping around the living room with your shotgun. The police are duty bound to act on intelligence received; to preserve the integrity of Crimestoppers the caller's identity and motive cannot be speculated upon.

If enough adverse rumour, gossip or hearsay could be collected on every FAC/SGC holder in the land, that would give the police defensible grounds to carry out spot checks on all of those unfortunates. Hence the new Crimestoppers number.

I want to think I'm wrong, but the more I see of detailed police procedure in this country the more I'm convinced the worst-case scenario is usually the truth.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Gazthejourno

There is no doubt that governments want to prevent people from having guns as private citizens. The Obama administration is doing what it can here in the USA to subvert the second amendment wherever possible. Look at what might have happened if "Occupy New York" was armed? (They might have won) The cops can't have that.

This new "regulation" in the UK is simply an excuse to allow the UK police to look (without a warrant) where they had no ability before. Bringing "Crimestoppers" and anonymous tipoffs.into the equation just means simply having a Fire Arms Certificate becomes a license for the cops to illegally enter and sieze property on the word of the neighborhood nuthead, busy body (or the cops word). New York state instituted a similar "safety regulation" recently. This was in fact unconstitutional as it acts as a percusrsor to illegal search and siezure, but don't let the cops hear you say that.

The issue is that the fact long guns would have to be registered with the government opens up a can of worms where the mere fact you LEGALLY own a gun makes you a potential criminal. I understand the registration of concealed weapons like a hand gun is to keep them out of the hands of criminals, but that has never stopped the criminals from getting them and using them.

1. lotus49

Re: @Gazthejourno

"... that has never stopped the criminals from getting them and using them."

This simply isn't true. Gun crime is extremely low in the UK. Far lower than in the US. This is largely because guns are difficult to get hold of and being caught in possession of one means a guaranteed prison stay. It is clearly not impossible to get hold of a gun in the UK ir you are prepared to run a huge risk but the fact is that the firearms-related death rate in the US is about 40 times that in the UK. A coincidence? I think not.

2. dan1980

@Gareth

"All Plod needs to say, when he stands up in court later, is that an anonymous caller to the new Crimestoppers hotline said they heard raised voices from your home and saw you stomping around the living room with your shotgun. The police are duty bound to act on intelligence received; to preserve the integrity of Crimestoppers the caller's identity and motive cannot be speculated upon."

How is that different from:

All Plod needs to say, when he stands up in court later, is that an anonymous caller to the new existing Crimestoppers hotline said they heard raised voices from your home and saw you stomping around the living room with your shotgun. The police are duty bound to act on intelligence received; to preserve the integrity of Crimestoppers the caller's identity and motive cannot be speculated upon.

??

20. W T Riker

Doesn't stop illegal gun ownership

The problem with most of these gun laws is that they only effect the legal gun owner. It doesn't do anything to stop illegal gun ownership. It also gives opportunity to anyone with a grudge to inconvenience the legal gun owner. That inconvenience could result in a £5000 legal bill (High Court, Barrister, Solicitor) to get the firearm back. In my opinion this is another pre-election PR exercise, similar to the The Firearms (Amendment) Act 1988 by Douglas Hurd.

21. Hogg

Biting the hand that feeds what?

This story has zero to do with IT and I can't imagine that anyone outside of the gun lobby care. So why is this story here? It seems a minor tweak in the law and no-one likes the feel they've been targeted, so you can see the source of outrage in a minority of the minority.

Seems like a report made by someone who has mistaken the UK for the US.

Having a gun has never been that normal in the UK unless you were a farmer out in the sticks.

Re: Biting the hand that feeds what?

It's in the Weekend Edition, El Reg's off-piste offering for the regular readership. Do you also post the same thing on the car reviews and the Dr Who punditry?

*sigh* why do I even bother engaging with this sort of thing...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Keep up the good work, I was at least moved to comment

2. Kiwi

*sigh* why do I even bother engaging with this sort of thing...

See my rantpost to Hogg.

But.. Thanks for your article.

2. dan1980
      IT Angle

@Hogg

There are a whole heap of articles on this site that don't interest me at all, including many of the IT ones.

I really don't get what you're going on about, here, as there are (as Gareth has pointed out) lots of articles on other topics, such as science. Yes some of those have an IT angle but others don't, such as the ones that talk on paleontology or any number of fields.

We're a community of, largely, IT folk but with plenty of engineers and scientists and other technical people at all levels. Personally, I'm glad we can all chat about stuff outside our jobs once in a while.

3. Kiwi
      Stop

Re: Biting the hand that feeds what? @Hogg

Not a gun owner, not likely to be. Did some hunting back in my youth - more than 25 years ago. Have shot since 3 but no real firearms for a long time.

As the name suggest, I live in New Zealand, not the UK or the Useless Shithole.

This story has zero to do with IT and I can't imagine that anyone outside of the gun lobby care

What makes you think you can presume to speak for me? I care. I am quite thankful to El Reg (and Gaz :) ) for the article.

I see an alarming trend away from "rule or law" and general civil rights all around the world, not just in the UK but here as well. Those things my granfathers fought for? Those things they suffered horrendous conditions for, watched mates and loved ones die to protect? My grandfathers fought against this sort of stuff that's going on. Not just the various gun laws (how many actual crimes would this prevent? (I don't mean the "crime" of leaving a partly disassembled gun in bits on a table while you answered an urgent call of nature, with ammo and firing pin or other important bits locked up) but actual real crimes. Most likely 0. "Human rights abuses"? Lots. Cops screwing up from being dumbfucks? Lots. Innocent law abiding citizens abused and hurt? Lots. Real crimes prevented or solved? Not one)

We're seeing labour laws destroyed (in NZ lunch breaks etc are about to be removed by the government, so if an employer wants to they can make someone work a 14hr shift without breaks - it is of course "by agreement" but in such a depressed labour market as this, try telling your boss you don't want to perform required dutiesdon't want to skip lunch and keeping your job afterwards), basic civil rights removed (in many "western" countries you can now be locked up indefinitely without charge or access to legal counsel on a whim by the local copsunder suspicion of terrorism), all sorts of extra "spying" powers and equipment.

It's something you should be thanking Gaz and El Reg for bringing to your attention, and taking some sort of a stand to stem the flow. The world is quickly heading towards those very things that our ancestors fought to prevent, and only a few seem interested in stopping it this time round. "This is how democracy dies - with thunderous applause" or words to that effect.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No surprise the Twitter response was from Hampshire Police, where Andy Marsh is the Chief Constable.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

These police powers seem pretty extreme to me...

Whenever this stuff happens, I start wondering if the more militant gun enthusiasts (who claim that the citizenry needs firearms to keep the government honest) don't actually have a point...

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Legal Guns

I'm not into guns, never have been, but I live in a rural southwest village. Many local people possess shotguns and a few have rifles as far as I know.

I was talking to a friend yesterday and he mentioned his son coming to visit! Son possesses a high powered rifle and decided to travel here to see his dad and do some target practice.

The location is 'VERY' rural and you wouldn't have thought there would be an issue, but the son attached a silencer to his rifle and proceeded to shoot at a target set into an earth bank on his fathers property.

Now, they slightly moved the target, for some reason and this is where the problem happened. The son missed the target and the bullet luckily missed a person who was walking nearby, the walking person was aware of the shot but thought it was an air pistol. Still all hell broke loose! If I'd seen a bullet inpact then I would have been worried. Luckily it must have landed in the fields behind our property, as there were no holes I could notice.

Had the passer by known it was a high powered rifle and it could have killed instantly then if it were me I'd have been on the phone quicker than anything to the police!

The guy who owns the rifle & silencer lives in London, has nowhere to shoot locally, visits father in the southwest, 'nearly kills a local dog walker', hides rifle & silencer in his dads van, lets his dad have words with the walker & happily goes back to London with his stuff.

My point is the person that nearly got shot, lives 200 yards from my house and was outside my house when it happened, and my kids and wife were in the garden at the time.

I thought it was illegal to own a silencer for any kind of weapon as it changes the markings on a bullet fired through it.

Are high powered rifles not illegal in the UK because the bullets can travel over a kilometer?

Doesn't common sense "YELL AT YOU" don't point guns near peoples properties?

My friend is over 60 and I don't think I'd let him have a firearms cert, I guess his son is in his 40's, living in London with a high powered un-licenced rifle & silencer. Maybe he just likes scaring the locals from ruralville.

Reading this article made me think, I don't own and don't wish to own a gun, but if you do you should be prepared for random spot checks, I'd even be in agreement with guns being stored in ONLY secure locations and only used under supervision. At a licenced gun club, not down at the local badger shoot.

On a side note, when my house was searched a number of years ago (due to a former owners actions, I hasten to add), the police confiscated two toy guns owned by my children, you know the small plastic ones that fire the red/black cap things. They were deemed to dangerous to have around the home, and even though they were bright blue could have been mistaken for 'real firearms'. (MY ASS)

Sorry for the long post, though it relevant! ;)

1. gazthejourno

Re: Legal Guns

This didn't actually happen, did it Pinocchio? You're clearly a windup merchant. If this did happen somewhere other than your imagination you'd have called the police straightaway to report this "unlicensed" "high powered rifle".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes it did happen, I wasn't in at the time

The guy who owns the property where the rifle was fired from, told me all about it on Saturday

Even my wife wasn't aware of this until the other day, and it happened mid August

2. FutureShock999

Silencers are called "moderators" in the UK. And yes, they are totally legal, as long as you have them noted on your FAC. They do make it easier to shoot and not disturb people, and they are used for both hunting and competition shooting.

3. Gerardo McFitzpatrick-O'Toole

Yeah right, the supersonic crack from the bullet fired from this high-powered rifle fitted with a suppressor didn't give the dog-walker reason to think that this was anything more than an air-rifle.

1. Kiwi

The thing is... If a silencer allowed the bullet to travel at super-sonic speeds, thus giving a sonic-boom, I think it would kinda defeat the purpose wouldn't it?

For transparency - I am not a gun owner, but someone with a fairly small amount of interest in them. And I've read (here goes my credibility!) some Lee Child's stuff so basing much of what I write here on that (IIRC). Yes it is fiction, but I believe what he writes about firearms is based on fact even if the characters doing the shooting are based on fantasy.

(Anyway, most members of the public have been bleaten by the general media into equating "high powered rifle" with a mere .22!)

Er. How exactly would the silencer slow the bullet down? By the time it gets to the end of the barrel it is already well supersonic, and the only way to slow it down would be some kind of steel plate or perhaps some clever electromagnets.

No, the silencer only removes the muzzle blast. The supersonic crack, which is generally louder, is completely separate.

You can, of course, slow the bullet right down by not making it go so fast to start with, but on something like a .223 it then isn't much use even against a fox in an average field. On a .22 rimfire it'll travel about 200m subsonic before you are pointing at the sky.

1. Kiwi
            Linux

Er. How exactly would the silencer slow the bullet down?

I perhaps should've clarified... Having a silencer on a gun with a supersonic bullet kinda defeats the purpose of having the silencer.

It is my understanding (again, largely through reading some Lee Childs stuff during a time of weirdness I won't go into :) ) that sniper rifles are designed so that the bullets travel at sub-sonic speeds simply to prevent any sonic boom.

I could entirely be wrong, but it does seem to pass the basic logic test :) )

4. YetAnotherLocksmith Silver badge

It is incredibly likely it was, in fact, just (just - it is still a 'firearm') an air rifle.

If not, then it was being used outside the terms of the certificate, & the owner was seriously breaking the law.

25. Scroticus Canis
    Unhappy

Again it's just the law abiding middle classe who are being targeted

Lets see the plod actually work up the courage to go and check a few travellers sites or known radical hot spots first. If the police want respect time for them to earn it like they used to.

26. Tim Brummer

You blokes need a second amendment. In the states the government only knows who legally owns handguns, machine guns, and explosive devices (rocket launchers). Everything else is unregistered. Ya in Connecticut they passed a semi-auto rifle registration law and 90% of gun owners ignored it. Plus it looks like the Governor who signed it is getting booted out of office, just like a few politicians in Colorado who banned 30 round magazines were recalled.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excellent, we need more of this, and fewer guns

We need to lower gun ownership in this country dramatically and increase enforcement and control dramatically. This measure is excellent, and I hope it results in enough unannounced visits to make people give up their obsession with the things.

So called hunting, which consists of chavs coming out to the country where they use tame pheasants and partridges for target practice? Its simply disgusting. And the chavs who are already in the country going around with their shotguns blasting anything that moves and generally trying to intimidate their neighbours? Why do we tolerate this?

We need to make the shooting of tame animals reared for purpose illegal, and we need to reduce the number of guns in private hands by about 80% - the remainder may have a legitimate use for the Olympic sport.

The countryside at the moment is full of Derek Birds, waiting to happen. Ridiculous and of absolutely no social benefit. Put a stop to it.

1. FutureShock999

Re: Excellent, we need more of this, and fewer guns

Hi, what sports do YOU do you pathetic wench?

I am sure that they are "unnecessary", and in some way detrimental to others. Even running and cycling have some impact on others - congestion on the sidewalks, slowing down of traffic, etc. NOTHING we do not not pose some imposition on someone else, unless you never leave your house.

I shoot for the camaraderie. I shoot for the thrill of competition. I shoot to get my mind into a good place and practice keeping it there. I shot a really great score in trap shooting last weekend, and it took getting my mind in a good place, finding a rhythm, and mastering my emotions and my body. When I shoot rifle, I have to practice getting my mind and body still, empty of outside distractions, and mindful. My breathing needs to be controlled. My eyes clear. It is Zen. And I can tell how well I do at that by the scores of that day.

What is it in your life that has you seek self-improvement? How do you measure it?

You are a pantywaist, really. And I won't post AC, too bad you didn't have the courage of your convictions to stand up for your own point of view publicly.

I've always found that as my clay scores go up, my rifle and pistol scores drop. And vice versa.

Any advice?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Remember to close your other eye for pistol/rifle ;)

More likely it's just practice levels, given X amount of free time, if you are shooting more of one you are shooting less of the other, hence performance will drop.

Personally my performance levels are fairly consistent, but then I was always terrible at target...

2. gazthejourno

Clay/rifle scores

With clays you're constantly on the move, whereas with rifle and pistol you're trying to stay as still as possible. I've seen the same thing happen to my own scores ... practice makes perfect I guess!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

I'm guessing the original AC on this comment is trolling. At least I hope this person is trolling...

28. shovelDriver

Irrelevant Arguments

Having read through a few comments, I stopped after several pages because most are irrelevant.

Quote: "these are NOT random spot checks - they are triggered by specific intelligence."

That being the case, specific intel is enough to get a warrant. Absent "warrant-level" justification, there is no - repeat, no - justification for conducting inspections. Demanding "spot checks" without cause is nothing less than tyranny.

Given the demonstrated corruption of law enforcement, judicial, and intel agencies throughout the western world, and - as the record shows - their repeated use of false unproven, even made-up, allegations to justify their excesses, this act can only be seen as another step in the subjugation of the once-capable British "subject".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon