back to article That's PROFESSOR Woz to you from now on, young whippersnapper

Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak has joined the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS), as an adjunct professor. Woz will teach in the “Magic Lab” (Innovation and Enterprise Research Laboratory), School of Software and the Centre for Quantum Computation and Intelligent Systems at UTS' Faculty of Engineering and IT. Magic Lab …

1. Lionel Baden

Just what Woz will do isn't explained

Quite simple, make noise wow people.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

building the paper bag has required extraordinary effort ..

OK I was reading about Woz, then got distracted with the building! Just because you can, doesn't mean you should..

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

brickmakers and bricklayers, among other tradies

I think the reporter may have misspelt 'tragedies'.

There's a reason for straight lines.

1. frank ly

Re: brickmakers and bricklayers, among other tradies

If they'd made the bricks from recycled paper bags, I'd be impressed. I wonder what the bricklayers were actually thinking and saying as they built it.

2. Simon Harris

If you think that's a bit odd, you should check out Frank Gehry's Lou Ruvo Center for Brain Health.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Wow, makes the Gehry building where I live look almost straight by comparison.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4243203836_c8f2c8daac.jpg

3. Khaptain Silver badge

>Magic Lab director Professor Mary-Anne Williams has allowed herself to be quoted saying Wozniak is the “coolest person in the Universe” and “loves the energy, the vibe and the robots in the Magic Lab.”

I always believed that that it was Mr Beeblebrox that was the "coolest person in the Universe”.

4. Denarius
    Thumb Down

Greeks have

a crap economy and great old buildings. IMHO, UTS seems to be ensuring we have only crap versions of architecture. A brown paper bag is an excellent symbol of NSW and Qld politics, so it is appropriately ugly. Thanks to said BPB economy, it looks like Oz will also have a crap economy. Nothing against Woz. Great engineer, but staff without defined duties seem to be an unnecessary overhead.

5. The Vociferous Time Waster

Now then

one claiming he had changed her life in 60 seconds

Fnarr fnarr

6. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

"Coolest person in the Universe"

Debatable and I am not sure, even if it were true, it would justify the award of an honorary professorship. But I have never approved of honorary awards which are self-serving or promote the cult of fame or celebrity.

Not that I am saying Woz doesn't deserve accolades; just that I don't feel this is an appropriate one.

7. disgruntled yank

Architecture etc.

Was the design committee in the bag?

It's actually good to see an adjunct hired who seriously doesn't need the money.

8. Mike Flex

The Dr Chau Chak Wing building...

... looks as though it's supported on a Wing and a prayer.

Ivy, anyone?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm not sold on that building, but by all accounts I've heard Woz is great teacher, proven for several years now. And as far as his knowledge, he's far ahead of any of the CS teachers I ever had.

Which isn't saying much actually. I'm not sure any of them managed to teach me more than they learned from me. That's what happens when you do something professionally for a decade before you go to a community college for a piece of paper saying you can do it professionally.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like