back to article Don't shoot – I'm un-ARM-ed! Samsung whips out Intel Chromebook 2

Score another point for Chipzilla in its quest for relevance in the mobile market: Samsung has announced a new, low-cost Chromebook that's powered by an Intel processor. Not that Intel-powered Chromebooks are anything new, really. The very first batch were all based on Atom chips, and in July, Acer even went as far as to …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Compatible

Now I can finally run the same viruses as everyone else

2. Alan Denman

Is it the screen ?

Seems to have a cheap TN panel.

That and the 22 nanometer low-power process would account for the battery.

ARM at 20nm would beat it and keep that taxing Intel wolf from the door

1. Wilco 1

Re: Is it the screen ?

The screen seems the same. Having just 2GB will save some power. Also it is a dual core Silvermont Atom so it is no surprise it uses slightly less power as you get less CPU/GPU performance than the Exynos variant.

I'm currently eagerly awaiting a Chromebook with the new 20nm 64-bit Exynos octa to replace the Exynos dual Chromebook I use for travelling, benchmarking and GCC development. That should give a 2-4x speedup to large builds and benchmarking runs!

3. Mikel

Gah

Still less resolution than my year old 5" mobile phone. This is just not enough pixels. What is it with these guys?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gah

"Still less resolution than my year old 5" mobile phone"

Maybe, just maybe, they'd rather sell people a more expensive more profitable shorter lifetime mobile phone rather than something cheap (and nasty and low margin) that might actually have a working lifetime of more than a year?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like