back to article Carry On Cosmonaut: Willful Child is a poor taste Star Trek parody

Anyone who’s read Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, a searingly bleak and intricate fantasy series, will be bitterly disappointed with Willful Child (and yes, pedants, that is how he spells it). Starship Enterprise Instead of a blistering and fascinating foray into sci-fi, Erikson does a limp, lacklustre job of …

1. BongoJoe

Thanks

I get a number of book recommendations here, the last being the excellent THE MARTIAN, and equally there's books to be avoided.

This appears to be one of them for which I may be eternally grateful.

2. Flip

Picard?

This is obviously intended as a send-up of the Kirk, Picard and Riker set of Starfleet officers, always looking to get on intimate terms with the crew and/or any passing aliens.

Picard? I must have missed those episodes.

1. Leeroy
      Paris Hilton

Re: Picard?

The only time I can remember Picard getting a bit frisky was with the unfortunately named Vash ? If anything she took the lead role and Picard was really not interested.

Anyway I'm off the pool with my trusty Horgon, would love Vash to turn up as long as Q is busy elsewhere.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Including Picard says a lot more about the reviewer's attitude that all Star Trek captains are unreconstructed misogynist trainwrecks than the work reviewed. Janeway had more romantic entanglements than Picard - but, you know, all men are *blah*

3. Vic

Picard? I must have missed those episodes.

I cna only think of one such episode[1], and that was the whole crew losing it, not Picard being off-colour...

Vic.

[1] Yes, I did have to look it up :-)

3. Fibbles

Overrated

Am I the only only one who thinks Steven Erikson is massively overrated? After struggling through the 10 main books of the Malazan series it's obvious that he's a brilliant crafter of worlds but by god is he in desperate need of an editor. He makes some interesting points in his books but then he insists on retreading that same point from the perspective of four or five more characters all in succession until I just want to scream at the book "OK, I fucking get it!".

Also, would it kill him to throw in some more proper nouns? I realise that in real life when people converse that we're not constantly using each others names but in a book it becomes increasingly difficult to figure out who is saying what.

The Malazan books seem to suffer from what I can only term 'philosopher syndrome'. Essentially every character, regardless of age or education seems to be able to soliloquise eloquently on the deepest meanings of life, the universe and everything as if they were some wizened sage. Obviously every character should be capable of some level of insight but when they become so blatantly a mouthpiece for the author then I just lose any suspension of disbelief I once had.

And finally, 'dissembling' and 'precipitously' are nice words but that doesn't mean you have to use them every other sentence. Buy a thesaurus.

1. Throatwobbler Mangrove

Re: Overrated

Blimey - you ploughed through all TEN books thinking that? I'd have binned it after the second one at the latest...

2. Gavin McMenemy

No, you're not the only one. Though I think you must have been getting something from those books if you read 10. I binned him after 2...

1. Fibbles

As I said, he is a brilliant crafter of worlds. The peoples he describes are richly detailed each with their own customs and history. This is mostly what kept me reading, though there was also the nagging thought that "I've come this far, I may as well finish" each time he released a new book.

I just think his ability to create a cohesive narrative is severely lacking. He has good ideas and then he writes and writes and writes, ad infinitum. There's no consideration for pacing or whether he's repeating himself or even if what he's writing makes an interesting story arc. He puts words on a page and, presumably, when his manuscript is so large that his word processor keeps crashing, he publishes it as a book. That doesn't mean the book is a well rounded story.

Don't get me wrong, Erikson has written some stories I enjoyed thoroughly. The book that introduced Karsa Orlong (I forget its title,) was particularly good. I've never read a book before or since that has conveyed the idiosyncrasies of tribal life in a warrior culture quite so vividly.

1. Gavin McMenemy

I've heard Steven talk and I think he's an intelligent likable guy. But I fear he's trapped in the mammoth doorstopper fantasy cul-de-sac. I think fine world detail is great so long as the story you use it in is equally compelling.

By the way, I am not criticising you for having stayed the course. All I'm saying is that he's just an author who is not for me.

ps. MANY MANY authors need a good editor. He really isn't alone there. There are a few big names, especially in fantasy, who appear to have "outgrown" good editing...

2. breakfast Silver badge
          Meh

I haven't read outside the Malazan series, but I don't think his intention with those was to create a cohesive narrative- it was a tapestry of stories that pretty much managed to keep me interested throughout. Very much ideas-fiction, rather than story oriented, though. Perhaps like some sci-fi in that respect.

Although I enjoyed them, I haven't been driven to pick up any of his other work. Given that this one seems to be a distillation of his most irritating qualities, I guess I won't be getting this either.

4. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Flip beat me to it...

Flip beat me to it, I was just going to say, one minor critique but Picard was if anything overly "PC". I swear if an alien ship showed up and started firing on their ship, he'd want to have a dialogue with his crew to figure out what the alien's point of view was to make them fire, rather than raising shields, firing back to disable weapons THEN worrying about that. I couldn't see him seducing a crew member in a million years. Minor point I suppose.

Back on topic... sheesh, the book doesn't sound good!

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Flip beat me to it...

Picard was such an insecure, self-doubting wimp that I never understood how he made it much beyond lieutenant, never mind to starship captain. As to romantic encounters, he's the sort of guy who was probably a virgin on his wedding night, and still turned off the lights before he got undressed.

5. Spoonsinger

I'm old - as I've never heard of him.

Anyway nice Telegraph style advertising piece. (I only assume it's an advertising piece because you don't normally do this for other books - be it praise worthy or not.)

1. Growler

Re: I'm old - as I've never heard of him.

One - it's the weekend edition which has lots of stuff El Reg doesn't normally do.

Two - If the publisher paid to have their book puffed up then I think they'll be wanting their money back!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Remember, folks, you too can write a book. NaNoWriMo looms, and all they really care about is that you put together 50,000 words in November. They don't have to be good words.

Why not give it a try. You too can write like Bron Fane or Pel Torro.

1. David Given

Absolutely. I've done NaNoWriMo four times. Actually got a completed and terribly bad novel out of it, which is now up on my website. (The other three times I completed the word count but didn't actually finish the story; I must get round to doing so as they're actually not too bad.)

I can strongly recommend it. As Terry Pratchett said, writing is the most fun you can have on your own, and the feeling of accomplishment after you're finished and look back at what you've achieved is awesome. See http://nanowrimo.org.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Thanks, I hadnt heard of NaNoWriMo.

You've just provided the kick up the arse to finally put pen to paper.

6. Mr_Bungle

The willful child - set phasers to ignore.

7. unitron
    Alien

Didn't Futurama already do that character...

...under the name of Zapp Brannigan?

When you try to do comic books without pictures you run the risk of turning out Ayn Rand novels.

Closest icon I could find to poor, long suffering Kif.

1. Vociferous

Re: Didn't Futurama already do that character...

>"When you try to do comic books without pictures you run the risk of turning out Ayn Rand novels."

That is one of the most insightful things I've read in ages. I wish I could upvote you twice.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Didn't Futurama already do that character...

As I read the review I thought exactly the same thing... the author tries to make the book sound bad, but then describes more or less exactly the life and adventures of Zap(p?) Brannigan, probably the funniest thing about futurama, and funny for exactly the same reasons that the author seems to dislike these books...

So are the books OTT bad = good, or just bad? I may have to read them now as I'm confused....

As Zap would have said: "It's.... velour"

8. andy gibson

Trek Parody

Sounds like Star Wreck by Leah Rewolinski

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wreck-Series-Leah-Rewolinski/dp/0752208306/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413808224&sr=8-2&keywords=star+wreck

9. Vociferous

Can parodies in book form be funny?

It just occurs to me I've never read a funny parody. The closest I can think of, is Terry Pratchett's discworld novels, but they are their own self-contained universe. Men At Arms, for instance, isn't a parody of noir detective stories, it's a noir detective story set in a slapstick world -- there's a difference.

10. Toblaki

Book was amazing. Writing was eloquent and hilarious. The dialogue was perfect. Can't wait for the next one! Shouldn't post negative reviews on a masterpiece, just leaves your credibility wanting.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon