back to article iPhone 6 shunned by fanbois in Apple's GREAT FAIL of CHINA

The belated Chinese launch of the iPhone 6 appears to have been a total flop after just 100 people queued outside a flagship store to buy the new mobe. In most parts of the world, the launch of a new Apple iPhone causes a level of fanboi hysteria that is more like a One Direction concert than a consumer technology launch. But …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Cupertino has only just been given permission to sell its mobes to state apparatchiki after reassuring Beijing that NSA spooks would not use the iPhone to spy on China. "

I'm pretty sure I can hear the laughter coming out of Langley from here! :)

1. joeW
      Headmaster

Langley?

Don't you mean Fort Meade?

2. Wibble

What is a One Dimension concert?

1. FartingHippo
      Boffin

Good question. You'd need at least two dimensions for form the queue.

2. Harry the Bastard

i believe it to be an event featuring a popular beat combo with non-zero height but lacking both breadth and depth

3. Frankee Llonnygog

Gosh, Apple is only going to sell 100 iPhones in China

They are doomed! Doomed, I tell you!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't touch an iPhone with a dead cat's tail on the end of a boat-sized red-hot poker, I think they suck the big one.... but..... wouldn't most smartphone manufacturers give their back teeth to have 100 people queuing outside of any shop at the launch of any of their products?

5. El_Fev

OK only a hundred people..

but lets see how much apple actually sells. do you reckon they will only sell 100 phone a in chine@

6. Goldmember

"...Xiaomi, which Apple regards a bit of a dodgy Del Boy kind of firm, fond of drawing inspiration from its competitors."

Completely unlike Apple, of course.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Completely unlike Apple, of course"

Harsh, but with Xiaomi now shipping in Europe from a local warehouse, Huawei chummying up the British Government, and Oppo trying for a slice of the Apple brand mystique with the N3 (seemingly trying to outdo the 6 plus on everything possible including a better aluminium alloy for the case) things could get interesting. Del Boy might just turn out to run the next big company that started in a garage. (I'd say the next Alan Sugar, but he's far too left wing for Chinese tastes.)

7. Steve Todd

The scalpers aren't in the queue

Having been burned with foreign imports. Many of the fanboys have pre-ordered (more than 2 million of them IIRC). A queue of 100 isn't bad at this stage.

8. William Donelson

With 20 million pre-ordered, who needs to wait in line?

9. stephajn
    Coat

I am going to puke.....

"I'm feeling quite emotional," Mr Liu later told reporters

Really??? Over a PHONE??? I swear the brand has become like some sort of religion! Steve Jobs being the Messiah or the Prophet Zarquon or something like that. Tim Ccok, the foundation now upon which the Church of Apple is built. Being first to emerge from the store with the new iPhone the equivalent of being touched by God or something??

Frankly I liked the comment directly after that quote in the article about feeling emotional after wasting hours of your life to stand in line at a store when you could have easily done something else.

I'm just waiting for the day when Apple fandom is declared a religion and suddenly all Apple Stores are declared tax exempt like a church is now. (Oh wait....Apple is already mostly tax exempt in the US since they funnel their money out of the country right?)

Reaching for my Holy Water and Garlic to ward off the Apple faithful....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: I am going to puke.....

Your sense of outrage at the iPhone religion is a bit late - by about 7 years.

1. Terrance

Never too late to become an Apple hater!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Trollface

Meh - it's not even hip anymore to be an Apple hater.

Used to be so cool to be an Apple hater, and wear baggy jeans, cargo shorts, no turtlenecks, no rounded glasses. To shave every once in awhile just 'because'...

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Cool? Wearing cargo shorts and baggy jeans would get rather warm. Which goes on top?

In its favour, it's a look that emphatically says, 'My virtual girlfriend loves me - she has no sense of smell'

2. Mad Hacker
      Facepalm

Clearly (unlike me) you don't know any Google fanbois.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Windows

I'm kinda diggin those Windows phones for my next mobe.

10. jbelkin

You might actually do research before you write about China & technology. They are now set up for ONLINE PRE-ORDERING so all you had to do is take your printed reservation form (just like in the US & EU) - no need to wait in line. That's called proper logistics. The people who lined up did not pre-register and had no phone reserved at the store for them. BTW, Apple has sold 20-MILLION iPhones in China so far in one week of ordering and one day in stores.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So the reason the queue is smaller is that Chinese people who want to buy iPhones are not as daft, or ignorant, as their occidental counterparts. Then why buy one?

2. Mad Hacker

No! No! If there isn't a riot there isn't a story! Ah the Daily Mirror mode of journalism I see...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

@jbelkin - "BTW, Apple has sold 20-MILLION iPhones in China so far in one week of ordering and one day in stores."

You counted them yourself, did you? I'm sure Cupertino has managed to channel-stuff millions upon millions. They are the grand masters at it...

1. sleepy

@Andy - Apple don't channel stuff (at least not since the '90's). Apple are grand masters at supply chain / channel logistics. Inventory is evil whether it's upstream or downstream. They are, on the other hand, grand masters at getting big volume commitments out of carriers.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Holmes

Apparently you missed the big ruckus this past year with phone carriers complaining about their iPhone contracts due to the huge handset purchase requirements.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well I'm with those who assume

Ignorance of the Chinese market fuelled this article. For your average, up and coming, middle class Chinese (i.e. the new money), an iPhone is still a few months pay. That's fine; they save. What's remarkable is how they use the phone. They've gone from a standing start to being pretty much as advanced as western users (likely more so, in some ways). The iPhone market in China isn't briliant, but it sells to those who can afford it. I don't think Apple can expect any more than that.

That said, it's hard to argue with the numbers. There will be a healthy iPhone market in China, but Android is the real winner.

12. Frank N. Stein

Most ordered online in China, rather than be among the 100 standing in line at the store. Funny thing is that they will likely get their iPhones before US punters who paid and ordered online in September, but have yet to receive their mobe.

13. Nameless Faceless Computer User

Who wants a thin phone?

I'm waiting for the model which is 4x thicker and has a 3-day battery life.

14. oblivia

Err, hello

I live 10 minutes from an Apple Store in Hong Kong, where mainland Chinese have been camped out on the street buying iPhones off anyone willing to sell them since the 6 was launched. If you walked out the shop with one, you'd instantly be swarmed by these assholes screaming at you. And if you look back at the queues outside the NY Apple Store back on launch day you'll see that it was mostly Chinese. So I'm guessing millions of Chinese have already got one.

15. gnasher729 Silver badge

From "shunned" to "market leader"

Recently reported was that the iPhone 6 is now China's smartphone market leader with other 10% market share, while the iPhone 6+ comes third, with Apple's total market share about 27%.

This headline from last year surely made some people happy, but the reality looks different.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like