back to article HP to shutter webOS cloud services

HP has announced it will shut down webOS cloud services on January 15th, 2015. The company says it's given the few owners of webOS devices three years of service since canning the software, but that “The user count has dwindled to the point where it is no longer viable to keep the services running.” Devices running webOS will …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

And so a promising mobile operating system is mediocred to death by HP. Who'd have thought it?

2. merlin29

yes HP trying kill off webOS by shutting down cloud services, i still use Touchpad and pre 3,

and will continue do so until they fail, a good OS which other systems have borrowed

certain features and HP screwed up, if only LG made a webOS phone/Tablet,

3. Magnus Ramage

Gone already from my Touchpad

I recently updated Android on my HP Touchpad to v4.4 KitKat via one of the several CM11 builds available for this device. For a 3+ year old device, the Touchpad continues to be remarkably well-supported by the community, if not by HP. KitKat works a treat on the Touchpad, much better than ICS did. However the install process required a total device wipe, and it was easier to install things without WebOS present at all. So I've said goodbye to WebOS completely now, as it seems have most people. Bit sad to see it go - it had a lot to be said for it, especially when it was released - but times move on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gone already from my Touchpad

I'm AMAZED your battery is still functioning in that touchpad. As for shutting down the cloud services well there is only a couple of hundred users, so it is no biggie

4. Quentin North

Palm V

Never mind WebOS, Ive still got a Palm V, and for what it was intended to do I still think it is the best little PDA you can get.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like