back to article Euro Commission drags Belgium to court over telco regulator's independence

The European Commission is taking Belgium to court for not allowing its telco regulator enough independence. Under EU law, national telecoms regulators must be able to act independently without state interference, but Belgium has a law allowing the Belgian Council of Ministers to suspend the Belgian Institute for Postal …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interference on the line

> Under EU law, national telecoms regulators must be able to act independently without state interference

And we all know how well independent decision making has worked in the UK with our high-speed FTTP rolled-out across the entire country, competing mightily with the cheap 4G being forced upon us... not.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Interference on the line

There's no law against commercial interference with the regulators.

Given that the people making the decisions come from the telco industry and go back to the telco industry, they know that side their toast is buttered on - and what happens to regulators who displease their future employers.

Openreach needs to be completely cleaved off from BT(*). Once a fully independent lines company, empowered (and required) to sell duct space to 3rd parties, things would change rapidly, as they have elsewhere(**)

(*) Completely separate shares, board of directors, offices, administration and CEO. Any favouritism shown to any player gets heavy punishment.

(**) New Zealand has changed from a posterchild implementation of how not to privatise your telco, to a place with vibrant competition in the 3 years since they split the incumbent telco from its lines operations - as a condition of getting rural broadband installation contracts. UK.gov had the same opportunity and blew it.

2. Panicnow

French shut down UK Electricity

The integrity of the national infrastructure is a matter of national security!

Might foreign companies such as EDF/Eon turn off all of the UK's generation capacity to disadvantage UK business?

Oh, they are!

3. bitten

The commission needs to be created out of sunshine and fresh air (and something with an unicorn I don't remember), ensuring it's absolute independence

4. Marvin O'Gravel Balloon Face

I can't wait for the movie to come out.

Every now and again seemingly ordinary events conspire to create the "perfect storm" of a true to life movie script. You've got Belgium. The European Commission. Telecommunications Regulation. Postal Services.

This is going to make one kick-ass political thriller.

I really hope they cast Matt Damon and Scarlett Johansson in the starring roles.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: I can't wait for the movie to come out.

Would sir like a trilogy?

The Bored Identity

The Bored Supremacy

The Bored Ultimatum

5. Stratman

Are there any EU standards for how long a giant supranational organisation can go without having its accounts signed off by the auditors?

1. SleepyJohn
      WTF?

Rules are for the peasantry, not the self-anointed bosses.

@Stratman

You dared to challenge the Supreme Legitimacy (That Which May Not Be Questioned) of the Euro-Gods (Against Whom One May Not Blaspheme) in this Euro-arse-licking forum? And got only one down-vote?

You must be patient, and know thy place, Euro-Pleb. Those on here who have been blessed with 'seeing the Euro-Light' will enlighten you. They will sell you a copy of Democracy Is For Dummies, and help you to understand that these Wondrous All Nobly Knowing Euro RepresentativeS must be obeyed without question if you want to sponge a huge grant for some pointless, idiotic project.

Or you could emigrate to NZ as I did. Now I can once again vote for those who make my laws. And hold them to account. And their books are properly audited. And behold, it is good.

The weather is better too. And I no longer have to walk past obnoxious, patronising posters on the school walls instructing my children to give thanks to the beneficent EU for their daily milk - at best a tenuous, extraordinarily convoluted travesty of the truth, at worst a naked political brainwashing lie.

What with that and the EU's political logo plastered over all the roads, bridges and huge floodlit roundabouts on empty back-country goat tracks where I lived, I thought I had died and gone to North Korea.

A bunch of corrupt, unelected has-been politicians ordering a sovereign country into their personal, politicised kangaroo court for failing to instantly obey their direct orders? And not a shot fired? You couldn't make it up. Putin must be green with envy.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Rules are for the peasantry, not the self-anointed bosses.

Sounds like getting off the drugs after your move helped then.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like