back to article Aboard the GOOD SHIP LOLLIPOP, there's a Mobe and a Slab and a TELLYBOX

Google has released its latest iteration of the Android OS, plus a triple deployment for the new software in three new devices – a trendy big phone, a slablet and a telly box. Nexus Family New Nexus family to go with the new OS Android 5.0, codenamed Lollipop, got an extensive preview during June's Google I/O conference, …

1. dogged

The first smartphone to run Android 5.0 will be the Nexus 6 phablet, built by Google subsidiary Motorola.

Ummmm no.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You beat me too it.. he obviously missed the memo!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

It would appear that Google don't hand over the keys to Lenovo until later this year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Mobility#Acquisition_by_Lenovo

2. Bloodbeastterror

Explain?

Maybe mine was when I loaded L Preview on my Nexus 5, but maybe that's not what your cryptic message maens...?

1. Andrew Jones 2

Re: Explain?

He means Motorola is not owned by Google. It's owned by Lenovo. (or will be)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Explain?

At this moment in time it's Google's

2. Stuart 22

Re: Moto Heaven

Moto have loyally announced that all versions of the Moto G plus some other kit will be licking Lollipops.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nexus 6: oh yes! I was looking for something cool to blow my xmas bonus on (that I get in Janurary, ffs).

Nexus 9: urgh, looks like a surface, needing the keyboard as a crutch.

1. David 138

The keyboard is what tablets are missing if you want to do any actual work.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The keyboard is what tablets are missing if you want to do any actual work.

I have an actual computer for doing actual work.

2. Craigness

As a former Asus Transformer owner I prefer to do actual work on an actual computer. Adding a keyboard is great but isn't enough.

4. Anonymous John

So the tablet has half the storage of the phone? Why?

1. Anonymous Bullard

That's odd, isn't it?

No micro-sd slot, either - not that I ever make use of one, I just like the chance to.

1. qwarty

Been looking forward to the Nexus 9 so very disappointed no 64Gb storage option, the +$80 for the few dollars worth of SSD to make for the should-be-entry-level 32Gb option, and with no SD slot, its a no go here. Had been expecting to buy one for 64bit Android development but guess that can wait a few months until something more suitable is on the market.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

>So the tablet has half the storage of the phone? Why?

Tablets, unlike phones, tend to live within range of a local network and media servers etc

One survey suggested that 3/4s of iPads rarely leave the owner's house. It seems reasonable to apply this finding to other tablets of a similar size, and surmise that the tablet can call upon media over the local network.

1. Ted T.

So that's why Apple sells 128GB iPads, cause no one needs the storage?

Judging by the NYC subways, not to mention every single airplane I've been on in the last 3 years, a ****load of iPads leave the house.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So that's why Apple sells 128GB iPads, cause no one needs the storage?

They also sell 16GB, because everyone stores their entire collections on a tablet?

Judging by the NYC subways, not to mention every single airplane I've been on in the last 3 years, a ****load of iPads leave the house.

You're looking at the most common use case of using a tablet outside: Waiting for/on public transport, needing to occupy yourself.

What about those iPads you don't see? Judging by the UK roads, I only see a few drivers using their iPads.

Different people have different needs.

1. Mark .

"Different people have different needs."

Well yes, exactly, that's why a 64GB or more options would be nice. No one's saying they should scrap the smaller options. (Though I'm thankful that at least we get a 64GB Nexus 6 - it now becomes a viable option for my next phone, which I'd like to store my music on.)

I don't what ipad users do, but one of the most obvious uses for a tablet is for playing videos - there's a reason why in the 2000s, tablets were instead often called "media players". At home, I have a 42" media player for watching videos - a tablet's strength is its portability.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

One survey suggested that 3/4s of iPads rarely leave the owner's house. It seems reasonable to apply this finding to other tablets of a similar size, and surmise that the tablet can call upon media over the local network.

While it's true that most pads never leave to home, wifi in the home is often pretty patchy so local storage is a good idea for many. Can't help thinking Google has missed a trick not going head to head with Apple on storage but with significantly lower pricing. For watching films an 8.9" screen is better than an I-Pad – it's just as wide but doesn't need to letterbox the film.

1. BamboozledByButtons

The Nexus 9 has a 4:3 ratio screen (or close enough) making it exactly the same as an iPad for watching video... letterboxing and all I'm afraid.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Though shalt consume thy cloud

Though shalt store your data in the cloud, because it is good for you. And for the people who foot the bill. And for your overseers who do not have an overseer.

1. Anonymous Bullard

Re: Though shalt consume thy cloud

For the common folk, the cloud is good. They can't look after their own data.

5. jason 7

Nexus 6

I was hoping for a non-phablet 4.7-5" phone.

Such a shame. Will have to try to pick up a Nexus 5 if/when they go on discount.

1. getHandle

Re: Nexus 6

I can heartily recommend the Moto G 2nd gen. It's not "top end" but nothing about it has disappointed me so far.

1. Ralph B

Ditto.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They won't. The Nexus5 will continue to be sold, with Android 5.0... It's still a fantastic phone at a killer price.

1. jason 7

Well the Nexus 4 got a big discount at the end so who knows.

3. roblightbody

At £299, the Nexus 5 has always been 'on discount'. I think it will stay at this price for a time yet, its still highly competitive.

1. jason 7

Looks like the Nexus 6 isnt following that price trend unfortunately.

End of an era! Sweet while it lasted.

6. h3

The Nexus Player is that finally something using the new really good Atom ?

7. BleedinObvious
    Unhappy

So Nexus 6 still 32-bit

1. GregC

Re: So Nexus 6 still 32-bit

And...?

What exactly is 64bit going to achieve in a 3Gb RAM environment?Don't get me wrong, if there are actual real world advantages to be had them I'm all over it, but it looks to me - for now at least - like it's just a pissing contest between Apple & Google.

1. ThomH

64-bit ARM refashions quite a lot of the architecture so as to achieve advantages quite distinct from just having a larger address space. Including:

• approximately twice as many integer registers (28 general purpose versus 13);

• more, and wider, classical floating point registers;

• double precision SIMD; and

• better synchronisation primitives.

There are also some performance-oriented subtractions. ARM used to be famous for making every instruction conditional and allowing each to include a barrel roll. Both of those things are gone in favour of a shorter pipeline.

Also, AES, SHA1 and SHA256 are now implemented in hardware.

There's also the nature of both Objective-C and Java: they're both objects-on-the-heap languages with object types like Integer or NSNumber that are often used just to wrap primitive types like int.

Apple uses 64-bit support to implement tagged pointers: pointers that aren't correctly aligned, i.e. are identifiably not actual valid pointers, actually directly contain the data. So e.g. a 64-bit pointer to an NSNumber that contains a 32-bit value is actually the value itself in the pointer plus some meta content. Nothing is put on the heap. That tagged pointer then effectively gives life on the stack to objects without affecting the semantics of objects on the heap. Which, besides anything else, is good for avoiding page faults. I assume ART will or does do something similar.

So the 64-bit pointers provide benefits unrelated to simply being able to point to a wider area, potentially for both of the main platforms.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

We're all aware of the technical advantages... but those are hardly killer features for the masses - especially when you're probably going to pay extra for them.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

This being a technical site (sort of) you are supposed to infer the consumer advantages.

The points made above mostly relate to improved performance meaning speeding up actions for more responsiveness or increased battery life. Faster SIMD instructions are useful for aspects of image processing and 3D imaging for instance, sometimes considerably so. Applies to simple everyday camera functions such as time it takes to process an image meaning can offer faster burst modes, HDR, anti-shake and other automatic processing to yield better images (of course GPU or custom silicon can factor in here too).

There are a few memes around about 64 bit somehow offering few processing advantages, hopefully most people here understand that's a myth from early days of AMD/Intel x64 and not applicable nowadays to either x64 or ARM.

And once dust settles, likely not much of a cost issue here either.

2. druck Silver badge
          Unhappy

ThomH wrote:

There are also some performance-oriented subtractions. ARM used to be famous for making every instruction conditional and allowing each to include a barrel roll. Both of those things are gone in favour of a shorter pipeline.

Yes, they've destroyed the beauty of the original 32bit ARM instruction set, the 64bit set has no character and could be anything. But then who actually programs in assembler any more to notice such things.

3. Mark .

There are potential technical advantages, but if Google can achieve the same end user experience with a 32-bit CPU, it doesn't really matter to the end user.

8. Haku

Philip K. Dick

So did the Dick lawyers have no grounds for the Nexus name or did Google pay the estate an undisclosed sum?

1. returnmyjedi

Re: Philip K. Dick

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

1. Alan Edwards

The estate of Philip K. Dick kicked off when the Nexus One was launched in 2010. The replicants in Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep (filmed as Bladerunner) were called Nexus 6s.

Given they are still calling things Nexus I'm guessing they sorted it out, but a quick Google didn't get me any details.

2. Lamont Cranston

I ordered my Nexus 6 from John Lewis. Good thing they have such a good returns policy, as I was shocked to find that it wasn't a Replicant.

1. Rob
        Coat

How do you know it wasn't? Did you test it by asking what it would do if it came across a turtle on its back in the desert ;-)

9. Neoc

I think I'll give the Player a miss - based on their own promo page the damn thing doesn't access local content, only internet-based content. I'll stick to my HTPC running MediaPortal with NetFlix plugin, thank you.

1. ThomH

With this and the Nexus 9 going after the market for laptop-type-things, do you get the feeling that perhaps the Android and Chrome teams aren't the best of friends?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If they were cannibalizing from each other? Yeah, might be an issue. If they are capturing customers from market competitors? No. I don't see a Surface Pro in my future or anything Apple. Nor a Chromebook. The Nexus 9 or Samsung Note Pro? Yeah.

I quite like the idea of using it to stream directly from any Android device, which presumably does have local storage or a DNLA client. If that is how it works then it's added simplicity at the cost of running down the battery of the "remote" faster.

3. Old Tom
      Stop

'the damn thing doesn't access local content'

If there isn't something already installed, simply go to Google Play and install an app that accesses local content.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think if it'll run XBMC i'll probably get one.

The main thing i'm disapointed about is the lack of wired network socket. Wifi is great for some things, HD video streaming is not one of them.

1. Craigness

Chromecast is great for HD streaming over wifi. I doubt the new thing will be worse.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

lack of wired network socket

is there a usb socket...?

10. Tom 35

Inexpensive?

A $650 phone is what you call inexpensive?

1. Charles 9

Re: Inexpensive?

Compared to an iPhone 6, especially one fully loaded, yes.

11. Eddy Ito

Just point a perps face at a mobe, and hey look, it unlocked.

I can see a potential use for hacking the code whereby it also recognizes a particular expression. If they try to force you to unlock it the appropriate expression would automatically scramble everything inside to ensure it was unrecoverable. The hard parts are of course training it and picking an expression that you won't accidentally make when goatse'd.

12. Daniel Voyce

Urgh - I was really hoping they would pull an "Apple"

and release a smaller phone alongside this phablet crap!

I am still on the Nexus 4 (the Nexus 5 isn't enough of an upgrade to warrant changing) and I REALLY don't want a 6" phone :(

1. king of foo

Re: Urgh - I was really hoping they would pull an "Apple"

I'm using both a 4 and a 5. 1 charges while I'm out using tother, then I swap back and forth.

The 4 is still solid. I didn't "need" to get the 5, but I "wanted" it. I find myself pining for a 6 now.

Oy, Ubuntu, where's my phone, bitch?!?! Take. My. Money.

I may have missed it but when did Apple release a smaller phone?

In any case, Google isn't competing directly with Apple. It uses the Nexus models to showcase Android and its online services but leaves the choice of form factor to the market. This is what led to the oversized phones in the first place, which the market loves.

Now that Android L is out, the next Nexus is presumably going to be a wearable.

3. roblightbody

I switched from a Nexus 4 to a Nexus 5 - its a substantial upgrade in my opinion. The screen is dramatically better (crisper, brighter, larger) and the performance is significantly improved - 1 year after getting mine, and everything is still essentially instant to respond. Its a staggering phone for £299.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nexus factory images out tomorrow

Goodie.. My N5 has been running the preview fir the last couple of months and its very impressive.

They made some huge changes to the camera software subsystem vastly improving it, better than iphone now. Full changes here.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/10/15/its-officialandroid-l-is-android-5-0-lollipop/

14. Roj Blake Silver badge

The problem with the Nexus 6 is that it dies after four years.

Although in fairness that's three years eleven months longer than the iPhone 6

1. Tom 35

As long as it doesn't go crazy and start killing people.

Wonder if I can find an electric sheep screen saver...

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

You mean

you don't have this installed on your android device. Shame.

15. Parax

All well and good to announce it but when is it coming? it's not in Play store yet....

1. Craigness

Nexus 6 availability

Preorders at the end of the month, available in November.

16. JDX Gold badge

3D animated buttons

Just what the world needed

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

64 bit processor support

Why do you need 64 bit processor or support in a phone?! </fandroid>

1. AndyS

Re: 64 bit processor support

"Why do you need 64 bit processor or support in a phone?!"

"Nobody will ever need more than 128 kb of memory."

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: 64 bit processor support

It's a fair question. Even on desktops it is pretty unusual to need 64bit!

I assumed it simply had performance implications to be able to work on 64bit registers, e.g. for the same volume of chip or amount of electricity, a 64 bit chip is more efficient.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google TV

Wow is anyone else stoked for this Google TV device? Gonna revolutionise the way we watch content on our TVs!!! They should've called it the Nexus Q though

1. Richard 81

Re: Google TV

...unless you already own a Roko or similar, in which case that revolution came and went.

I was kind of interested in this until I realised Amazon aren't putting Prime on it (for now). That's currently the only shortcoming of the Roku (in the UK), as either Amazon are withholding Prime or BSkyB are using their shares in Roku to block it.

Mind you, there's now an Amazon Prime Android app, so maybe it'll find its way to Google's puck.

1. David 138

Re: Google TV

Amazon are a bit too controlling with their content atm. They are too obsessed with their half baked tablet and phone.

2. JDX Gold badge

Re: there's now an Amazon Prime Android app

whoa, there is? Has it literally just come out because we were looking only a week back and couldn't find one (and couldn't decide if sideloading the Amazon store was possible)?

1. Craigness

@JDX it's about a month old. And it's much more of a pain to install and set up than it needs to be >-(

@Richard they don't have Prime on Chromecast either, so it's probably a control thing. But I wouldn't rule out incompetence as it took them years to get it to Android.

1. Richard 81

The issue with the Roku is very suspicious, since it's on the US version but not the UK one where BSkyB have a stake. In the case of this Google doo-dar, it's more likely to be Amazon's fault.

19. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

Nice Google+ login in the top-right corner

It's good to see that Google decided to respond to people's concerns in the post-Snowdon era.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've enjoyed my nexus 7, so much so that I will be looking at this new tablet very serious

This winter, and while I'm not on the mainstream bandwagon for a smartphone, the nexus 6 will get a close glance. I would love to have a phablet, but its a catch 22 you know, for a tablet I want the size, for a phone, no. I'm seeing people walking around with these large phones attached to their belts and it reminds me of the fanny pack craze back however long ago, good idea but......

On top of that the potential to damage the screen and charging every day or two, I just don't know.....

Anyone else has the same concerns and have taken the plunge?

1. Craigness

Price

As a N7 owner I thought the same, until I saw the price of the 9!

1. GregC

Re: Price

The 9 looks to me more like a replacement for the 10 than the 7 - I'm predicting a retail price for the base model of £319, which would be the same as the N10 was....

21. Smiles
    Terminator

I've been waiting for this....

Part of me doesn't even care about the spec, I've wanted a Nexus 6 Android since it first became apparent how the devices were being named.

I'm totally sold on the Nexus line regardless of the name though, I'm still using my N4 which I bought just after the first stock shortage and for me it's still better than any of the competition, runs everything I want and with no noticable lag or issues. Granted, after 2 years the battery needs a charge at least once a day if not twice, but I've generally carried a USB cable for years anyway. The fact that the vanilla version of Android as it was intended (i.e. not filled with bloatware) is pushed out to my old phone within days of release means that it essentially stays slightly ahead of most alternatives with no additional cost to me, fine there are some gimmicks in the latest Samsung but there's nothing I want to do with it that it won't let me. I don't think switching from an HTC or Samsung equivalent would change anyone's world massively, but I certainly wouldn't want to go back to one. There's a reason that most (n.b. Most, not all) people who have bought a Nexus device stick with them and rave about them. They're good. They work as intended and that's mostly down to the fact they are the built for the software that's on them with no external additions. This is one of the things Apple fans appreciate about the iPhone, while I personally don't get on with iOS it cannot be denied that it all works very smoothly and that's because the hardware and software has all been specced and built by the same people.

I'll undoubtedly give in and get an N6 at some point, I'm a geek and the name alone is irresistable, but I'll do it when my phone needs replacing due to wear and tear which so far looks to be some way off.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I've been waiting for this....

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

Android as it's supposed to be... no crap, and always up to date.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I've been waiting for this....

No crap? HP printer plugin arriving unannounced and unwanted falls into the crap category. Will wait and see what gets dumped with 5 before upgrading.

22. Jim Willsher

We use Ordnance Survey maps a lot (Memory Map application) and the 1:25000 and 1:50000 maps in HD take up 39.2GB. That's the main reason I have the 128GB iPad. My wife has a v1 iPad (my cast-off) and we wanted to replace that with something Android-ish.

I had high hopes for the Hudl2 - but max 32GB MicroSD - and I had high hopes for the Nexus 9 - but max 0GB MicroSD. So that's just blown away two potential Android devices for us.

Back to the drawing board.

1. DPWDC

USB OTG and a memory stick?

Just an option. Granted, it's not as pretty / clean as having it in the device, but for the occasions where you need some extra storage space it's an option!

1. Brenda McViking

I too am a 'would be customer' who is completely put off by the lack of an uSD slot. the OTG option is a clunky workaround at best, and in reality, completely unworkable for me - I'd either forget the cable, or not have it on me when I was given 3 hours notice to get to the airport.

Same argument for lack of swappable battery for the '6, though with a 15min boost charge, I might be able to make it work.

Actually no, on second thoughts, the amount of times having a fully charged spare that can be changed in 30s has saved my bacon is too many to count. Typically when I've landed somewhere that nobody speaks English and google maps is the only thing that can get me to my destination with no hassle.

So no deal. Which is a pity because I've always wanted a Nexus and its lack of bloatware.

Samsung Note 4 it is.

2. Charles 9

"USB OTG and a memory stick?"

Not an option since using OTG blocks charging, and since using OTG puts additional load on the battery, this is one place where it's NICE to be plugged in, only you can't.

I also insist on removable batteries. Not only is it a safety feature in case the battery becomes faulty or a pull is needed to reset a device, but it allows for aftermarket upgrading if you don't care about bulk like I do.

2. necrominzer

Give a look at the Nvidia Shield Tablet. While the internal memory options are only 16 and 32 GB, it offers support for 128 GB micro SD cards. Its running basically a vanilla version of android with very few embellishments and has a nice stylus built in.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The Samsun Galaxy Tab S is a similar size will take SD's upto 128 GB, though depending on what you do with the maps you might want to go for one with pen support.

23. JAK 1
    Meh

shame about the phone size

Had the Nexus 4, currently have and love the Nexus 5 but would have upgraded to the 6 but the screen is just too damn large. I like to be able to use a phone single handed (not for that reason) so I think this one will pass me by...

Luckily the Nexus 5 is still a solid phone, and the previews of lollipop on it appear to have gone well.

The TV box looks interesting though, guessing I'd be able to install the Plex app on it?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disappointing

The 6" is just too big, the Nexus 5 is as big as I want in a phone.

4:3 aspect ratio makes video playing crap, why have all those lovely pixels and waste a good chunk of them when you're using the damn thing?

Only good point is the forward facing speakers. Despite what this review says, you're less likely to annoy everyone else with the speakers facing you than the back of the head of the person in front.

Looks like my 1st gen Nexus 7 is safe, and my phone will be with me for another year, at least.

1. Richard 81

Re: Disappointing

"4:3 aspect ratio makes video playing crap, why have all those lovely pixels and waste a good chunk of them when you're using the damn thing?"

Unless you're trying to do work on it, in which case it's ideal.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Disappointing

why ideal? In order to achieve the 4:3 ratio, the screens aren't made bigger, all that happens is that the longer edge is reduced. This means that, when viewing landscape, the vertical size remains the same, but, the screen is narrower.

On what planet is less screen real estate better?

25. roblightbody

Nexus 7 2012 gets Lollipop, gets faster!

Unlike iPhones and iPads, which seem to get slower each time they're updated until they have to be replaced, the 2012 Nexus 7 is about to get its second major Android update which will speed it up (as for the Nexus 4). I think this is fantastic support for devices which, after more than 2 years, other manufacturers have abandoned.

I'm a big fan of Google's Nexus line, but unfortunately the 6 is too big for me.

1. Tompkinson

Re: Nexus 7 2012 gets Lollipop, gets faster!

Dead right. My only iThing was a 1st gen iPod. Apple couldn't drop OS support for it fast enough and apps disappeared just as quickly. Nexus all the way from then. My iPod is now a permanent in-car MP3 player.

BUT my N5 is great and I don't need a phablet. And the lack of SD in the N9 is very silly. Expecially as they are not doing a 64GB/128GB model to make 300% extra profit as Apple do.

1. GregC

Re: the lack of SD in the N9 is very silly.

These are Nexus devices. Expecting an SD slot in any of them is - well, I won't say silly, let's go with "optimistic in the extreme". And no matter how much we complain about it, that is how it's likely to remain.

Google want you to put everything in their cloud. Giving you expandable storage in their devices doesn't help with this. The USB OTG solution works for me on the very rare occasions that I need it, but if you must have a micro SD option then a Nexus device isn't for you, and probably never will be.

26. Zot

It's the 64 bit Tegra K1 that makes me want one.

From watching the NVidia events in on the K1 it appears to wipe the rest of the chips aside.

This Nexus 9 might be the one to get me out of the iPad cycle (I only have an iPad 2, but you know what I mean). I get the feeling that this new K1 will crush the new iPad.

And yes I know it's not all about the power for most people, it is for me.

27. Haku

Strange, the article title changed.

From

"Who wants to lick Google's Lollipop? Grab a new Android Nexus 6, 9 or TV Player"

To:

"Aboard the GOOD SHIP LOLLIPOP, there's a Mobe and a Slab and a TELLYBOX"

28. Disconn3ct

"multiple gmail accounts"?

Um... android has supported that for quite a while now. The multi-user is for allowing two people to share a phone ("roommate, hand me your phone real quick") without sharing the data on the phone.

It also now has a guest mode, which is great - I have a stack of outdated devices I hand out when we play chromecast games and such, but with this I can just set our 'real' devices to guest mode and let visitors use them. (After an incident, we split out the guest network and chromecast is too dumb to handle the passcode login page, so it only talks to residents.)

29. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like