back to article ROBOT TROUSER SNAKE stiffens to master slippery mounds

Scientists say their new snake robot has cracked the tricky problem of slithering up slippery mounds. The trouser(ed) snake robot This undeniable pushing-back of the frontiers of science comes to us courtesy of Professor Daniel Goldman's Complex Rheology And Biomechanics Lab ("the Crab Lab") at the Georgia Institute of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reg Headlines

Never since the Carry On films have so many double entendres been made by so few.

Brilliant.

1. I like noodles

Re: Reg Headlines

Indeed Arnaut, if it wasn't for the fact you have to think you understand what you're talking about I'd be applying for a job here.

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

The sidewinder dune performance is "Meh..". They should try to sticker the reflective material to Macrovipera lebetina. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macrovipera_lebetina aka Gurza.

By the way compared to it the sidewinder (and most rattlesnakes for that matter) are as docile and friendly as the bearded lizzard in the school pet "corner".

It also moves over dunes in a slightly different (and much faster and more efficient) manner.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

..if you're based in North America, you might find North African sand vipers surprisingly uncommon.

And increasingly nasty temperaments in your test bunny snakes may not be an unmitigated blessing.

Just saying.

p.s. I don't see anything about the snakes 'stiffening'. I thought the Reg was above titillating headlines.

How about this instead:

"Robot trouser snake lengthens to slither up slippery mounds".

3. Camilla Smythe

It strikes me..

Looking at the picture of the mechanical/robot snake that what is happening is the lower point of contact of the top bend is pushing the sand back to form a hump and support forward motion whilst the upper point of contact of the bottom bend is holding the sand forming that hump in place keeping it stable in excess of what would be 'close to the angle of maximum slope stability' to enable the overall solution to work at that angle. I might speculate that a sidewinder in motion can traverse a slope that is greater than one it might be able to remain stationary on.

4. dixiedog44

C'mon mannnnnn......... Trouser snake? Did they actually get away with that one?

1. frank ly

Well, they covered the robot snake with some kind of trouser, so .....

1. FormerKowloonTonger
        Devil

Looks like a used, wrinkled condom to me.

5. earl grey
    Joke

All i can say

Is that I hope it can straighten out as needed when the time comes.

6. Gene Cash Silver badge

painting reflective spots on rattlesnakes

I'm sure as hell glad I'm not a intern/graduate assistant in *that* research program!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

"After a good deal of investigation, which involved painting reflective spots on some surprisingly cooperative rattlesnakes and videoing them in action."

Its amazing how cooperative everyone gets when you tell them they are going to be on TV!!

1. FormerKowloonTonger
      Devil

Aaannnnnndddd, with their very own snake-in-their-trousers. Everybody's getting out their tape measures.

8. bmf

Brilliant Title!!

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar

9. Nigel Whitfield.

Almost there ...

Surely, after this, it can't be too long before they miniaturise the tech and we can have robotic self tying boot laces

10. Hoe

Epic headline.

Nuff said.

11. Yugguy

Hideho!

It looks more like a robotic Mr Hankey.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like