back to article BEND IT like YOGA: Newest Lenovo gadgets have built in PROJECTORS

Fresh and glowing from its triumphant snatch of top spot amongst PC vendors yet again, Lenovo unwrapped three new Yoga products in London yesterday: two tablets and an Ultrabook. While Lenovo is number one in shipments, Lenovo's SVP and EMEA president Aymar de Lencquesaing revealed, “We ship more tablets and smartphones than …

1. GregC

UK price

So a quick € -> £ conversion + VAT would suggest somewhere around £275 for the 10" Android.

I wonder why it is, then, that I'm expecting the only thing to change between the euro and GBP price will be the symbol in front of the number...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: UK price

£279.99 on the Lenovo website, £299.99 with LTE

8" from £199.99

2. Thecowking

http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/tablets/lenovo/yoga/?cid=uk:sem:E9r805|g-c

Apparently it's £279. Now I need to decide between this and the galaxy note pro 12.2 for Christmas for myself...

1. GregC

Fair play to them then, I stand corrected.

2. handle

Windows Tax obfuscated again

"the Android version gets half the storage [of the Windows version]" so you can't compare prices.

1. dogged

Re: Windows Tax obfuscated again

If the screen size is even microns under 10" diagonal, there is no Windows tax.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Android is Linux. Linux isn't as bloated and as resource hungry as Windows so it can do more with less.

Which is fortunate considering manufacturers treat Linux like a third class citizen.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Looking on the lenovo shop it only gets half the storage if you get the LTE option. It's not clear if there's a RAM difference though. I'd also like to know about bootloaders...

3. handle

Subwoofer?

Ha ha ha ha ha! Maybe I'll stop laughing when I hear this miracle of nano-technology, but I doubt it.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Subwoofer?

Yeah, subyapper more like, at this size.

1. Elmer Phud

Has anyone tried a really flat sub that takes up the underside of a device yet?

A little bit of extra depth for a lot more bass.

1. Warm Braw

>A little bit of extra depth for a lot more bass

A deeper base can more easily be perceived.

2. Frankee Llonnygog

It's been tried on laptops. Deep, penetrating bass - and more frequent dry-cleaning bills

4. PleebSmash

hangouts

1 tablet per wall

5. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

nice evolution

I have an original Yoga 10 and really like it. I was considering passing that one to the wife and getting the newer HD version for me but I think perhaps I'll wait a bit longer and get one of these Yoga 2 Pros. I don't need a projector in such a device, but that is a pretty slick feature. The "barrel" grip/battery is surprisingly easy to adapt to and the battery life afforded by such is positively astounding - long day of travel, several movies/tv programmes, some light reading and simple gaming, and I never once reached for the charging cable.

1. Tony Paulazzo

Re: nice evolution

The "barrel" grip/battery is surprisingly easy to adapt to

Same here, except I love the barrel grip, reminds me of the ill fated Notion Ink Adam*, and since I bought this primarily for graphic novel reading, so mostly portrait up, it functions perfectly as the grip. I'm starting to be quite impressed with what Lenovo are putting out, but whoever is in charge of their naming department should be taken out back and shot!

* Son of Adam is out, but it's just the same boring tablet shape as everything else - what I like about the barrel is it allows for more stuff, better speakers, more battery etc...

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

So about a half hour battery life?

You know it's not going to be good.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who would want an integrated projector?

If you need a projector, buy a HDMI mini projector that will offer a massive quality increase due to having a lens larger than what is possible on a tablet, massive brightness increase (for those able to be plugged in or have their own battery) and can be used on laptops and phones as well.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Who would want an integrated projector?

Actually a mini projector is not going to be much better than this. For anything good you have to cross the kilogram barrier. I should know, I tested everything I could get my mitts on. I finally bought a LED thing, on the light-and-small side of the large projector range. Pretty quiet too, and not overly expensive.

At first I was more interested in a mini projector because, well, neato! But I found even the rather overexpensive ones struggled at more than ~1.5 m, and that's before we even start talking contrast. This embedded one is probably not extra-good but certainly worth having for a quick improvised meeting on the go where the mini projector is going to be equally shitty with the added burden of needing an extra couple cables*, an extra device, and an extra power outlet.

*and hdmi cables are not the sturdiest things around, either. Being carried around will mess them up pretty fast.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like