back to article NASA: Mars satellites menaced by speeding SPACE ALIEN

On October 19, comet Siding Spring will make a very close flyby of Mars. And that's why NASA will hide its satellites in the area behind the Red Planet – to protect the agency's valuable hardware from passing comet debris. Siding Spring duck and cover Everybody hide! The comet, first spotted on January 3 last year by …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds just like Lucifer's hammer, except for mars.

2. Gray Ham Bronze badge
    Happy

Maybe we should rename this comet "Nimbin" in honour of all the exotic chemicals?

3. Mark 85

A pity we won't see it from Earth... but hopefully, some great pictures from the spacecraft.

4. Justin S.

Does anyone know whether the Indians have planned for MOM to duck behind Mars, too, or will it be exposed?

5. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

If the spacecraft Bob the comet the damage will hopefully come to...

McNaught.

1. Winkypop Silver badge
      Happy

Re: If the spacecraft Bob the comet the damage will hopefully come to...

Thanks Mr Ialways Downvotewinkypop!

Wave!

6. lawndart

says:

"Its actual composition is what's getting astronomers' hearts beating faster."

Possibly they should have named it Epinephrine instead of something that sounds like a railway point component.

1. tony2heads
      Flame

@lawndart

I know somebody at least a couple of astronomer who are steam train aficionados too.

Icon - get stoking lads

2. Scott Broukell

Re: says:

The 15:42 comet service passing platform number one is a high-speed service, for your own safety please stand well back from the edge of the platform. One the other hand, should it suddenly become a high-speed 'stopping' service, a replacement comet service will be made available.

7. Cthugha

funny

Spat my coffee out "1.7715 per cent of the maximum velocity of a sheep in a vacuum!"

1. DropBear
      Trollface

Re: funny

Well, laugh all you want, but sheep actually DO have a maximum velocity in a vacuum - guess what, it's the speed of light, as for everything else. Now if that thing is really moving with nearly 2% of C... it's mind-boggling-fast indeed! There is of course that niggling "if" - but come on, El Reg is never wrong...

1. Spoobistle

Re: funny arithmetic

I make 33 miles/sec to be 0.0177% of c, though you still wouldn't want to meet it head on.

2. Intractable Potsherd

Re: funny

I had a lucky tea-ejection event avoidance* when I read the caption about how the comment could look if an artist was in orbit!

* I had tried to take a mouthful of infusion of dried leaves, but found I had drained the cup with the previous swig.

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
        Happy

"Just dried leaves, boiled?"

Gonna take a bit of time to work out.

Share and Enjoy

8. cookieMonster Silver badge
    Alien

the comet has dimmed to about half the brightness ...

They dimmed from full beam to normal headlights, just like you're supposed to. It's not a comment, it's a SPACE SHIP!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: the comet has dimmed to about half the brightness ...

Set cultists to RUN!

9. Potemkine Silver badge

I love the way astrophysicians get excited... when for most people pr0n does the trick, astrophysicians prefer comets observable from Mars... classy! ^^

1. David Nash Silver badge

Astro-what?

"I love the way astrophysicians get excited"

Space doctors?

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: Astro-what?

"Dammit, Jim! I'm a doctor not a do... oh, wait."

2. wdmot

Re: Astro-what?

Yes, the medical counterparts of the astrozoologists.

10. Jungleland
    Joke

If only we'd known this was coming

We could have sent Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck up in Beagle 2 to save the world

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If only we'd known this was coming

was there ever a bad reason for sending them up?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Artists rendition of space phenomenons

have never impressed me.

12. A Twig

I love all the comments where autocorrect has turned comet to comment - artists renditions of comments flying through space - very surrealist.

1. Fatman

RE: artists renditions of comments flying through space

Do you mean something like brown matter flying from the face of a rotating impeller?

13. WalterAlter

"Since that initial burst of light, the comet has dimmed to about half the brightness theoretical models would suggest. Astronomers speculate that these volatile chemicals may now have burned off, leaving much less material behind."

Boy, you'd think they could have run a little spectrographic analysis of that "light" and found out what "volitile chemicals" might have been trapped in the "snowball" and heated to incandescence by our good old solar "wind".

From my previous post on cometary phenomena:

Icy snowball, harummmph! Comets are rocky meteors, period. They think there is water ice in their composition, the fools. What they measure is HO, the hydroxl byproduct of the breakdown of rock minerals by electric arc discharge due to the solar electric current, otherwise stupidly misnamed solar "wind". Funny how so many comet closeup pics show dumbbell shaped rock. I wonder what a magnetic field would have to do with that anomaly? Funny how they have to spend zillions of dollars to settle the issue because mainstream astronomy runs screaming, tearing at their ears, at the mention of (gasp) ELECTRICITY, out there in "empty" space. Ever look at early astonomers' drawings of comets? Does the term "jets" ring a bell? Jets of water? What, like a little water spout on a rowboat lake? Gimme a break. Jets of plasma confined in a magnetic Langmuir Sheath is what the astrohacks see dancing the St. Elmo at the end of their red and white canes.

www.thunderbolts.info.

Go on, hit me with your best thumb down, ya rigorless faithful.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

triffids anyone?

Looking at brilliant comet light was well documented side effects

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For Science! and for Teh Awesum!

there has got to be something in orbit at the end of it's useful life that we can deliberately leave to take video and sensor readings before impact, or to get a real close view of it zipping by...

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like a rabbit on the

Highway, a cometary one at least.

(gets coat)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like