back to article Doctor Zuck, I'm so poorly right now! Facebook examines healthcare biz: report

Facebook is reportedly mulling over plans to step into the healthcare business – a move that would hardly be surprising given Google and Apple's interest in that market. According to Reuters, which cited three unnamed people familiar with the matter, the Mark Zuckerberg-run free content ad network is looking at setting up " …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I feel sick

Facebook is making me increasingly sick. Only fair that they plan to offer medical advice to mitigate that... *sighs*

1. Mark 85

Re: I feel sick

You'll have to wait for their "interest" group to get advice on that and since leaving FB is the cure, I doubt they'll form one.

2. Tom 35

Dr. Oz online

The sellers of magic woo pills will love it.

3. Chris G

Let's share

The fact that Joe Bloggs is on a course of Doxycycline and has a nasty rash.

How many likes will that get?

4. zen1

Zuck can suck it

Not only no but fuck no! How in the name of hell are face book going to separate "private" information from the social side with any would be patient data? What's more, what guarantee does fuck stick give that they won't sell our data, anonymously or not?

5. skeptical i
    Meh

Aren't there already fecebook pages for various ailments?

Sounds like the same old w(h)ine in a different bottle: besides pretty window dressing (red ribbons for HIV/AIDS, pink ribbons for breast cancer, &c) what will the new stuff do that the existing stuff does not?

6. larokus

I cant wait

To share my cholera selfies

1. Fungus Bob

Re: I cant wait

That isn't as bad as colonoscopy selfies

7. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Trollface

"Hi everybody"

"Hi Dr Zuck"

8. bill 36
    Devil

Time to jump ship

I'm going to have a huge smile on my face when Facebook goes titsup.

I think it has a fatal disease with no known cure!!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apparently the big new international trade agreement being negotiated between the US and Europe will remove all protections from the health industry, i.e. anyone can enter and countries cannot impose their own rules about standards, etc. By definition this will open up at least 50% of the NHS market to commercial suppliers - otherwise they could sue for unfair competition, and of course the new treaty will allow them to do this using their local courts.

10. Buzzword

There could be some good in this, if social networks accurately reflect real-world networks*. Researchers could track the progress of e.g. winter flu by observing status updates like "feelin poorly, ugh i h8 being sick, yay day off work/school!!"

In practice the mapping between social and real-world networks is poor (how many of your colleagues are friends on your TwitFace account?), so it's worse than useless.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like