back to article Particle that behaves like matter and antimatter found: Majorana fermion

Scientists at Princeton are reporting the observation of Majorana fermion, a particle first predicted over 70 years ago that behaves like matter and antimatter at the same time. Majorana fermion Finding the Majorana fermion only took 77 years and a shedload of high-tech hardware The existence of such a particle was first …

1. Andy Tunnah

HA!

"Yazdani said the experiment should be fairly easy for other boffins to reproduce because it doesn't use exotic metals."

See, this is why I love science, ultra pure crystals of lead, a 2-story-tall tunneling microscope, a line of iron ATOMS, all cooled to a gnat's fart above the point where kinetic energy can even exist, and they say it should be fairly easy to reproduce.

I'm no science geek by a long shot (although I get the gist of this article, my understanding of it is...poor), if they taught us things like this in school I'd probably know a whole lot more.

1. Chris G

Re: HA!

Well, fairly easy to reproduce if your lab has the means to make ultra pure crystals of lead and you have a two story tall electron microscope laying around: I'll probably have a go at it tomorrow afternoon after going in to check things at work, should be able to fit it in between knocking up some garden furniture and a couple of jars at the local!

Interesting stuff though, I have read a lot on physics and never heard of a Majorana fermion though I cna't really pretend to be a physicist.

1. frank ly

@ Chris G Re: HA!

It's possible to be a physiscist and not a physicist, both at the same time, so you don't need to pretend anything.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Mark 85

Re: Frank - HA!

Ah.. Schrodinger's physicist !!!!!

2. TheVogon

Re: HA!

Isn't this what Neutrons are made from? Surely then we already knew it existed.

2. Dr. Ellen
    Boffin

They didn't find a particle, they found a quasi-particle. An electron hole in a semiconductor (or, for history's sake, a hole in the Dirac sea of electrons) *acts* rather like a positive particle. It's useful, but it's not a positron.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Yep. The noddy version is 'With the right combination of superconductivity, magnetism, maths, precision metalwork, and funding, you can make charge seem to disappear from the ends of a very small wire.'

It's not quite the same as proof of an actual free-floating Majorana fermion, which would be a whole other thing.

Incidentally, Majorana had an interesting biog:

The Disappearing Physicist

1. Mage Silver badge

" Majorana had an interesting biog"

I read that as Blog and wondered how, since he vanished in 1938.

I really don't like sans fonts.

Plenty there for Dan Brown in the Wikipedia article. I hope not.

3. Mage Silver badge

Still great Boffin stuff.

So they might have evidence of a Majorana fermion, but what ever is really happening other people can take a peek without having massive colliders etc.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Special? Maybe in some ways

There's nothing particularly special about a particle being its own anti-particle. This is true of the photon and the Higgs boson, for example.

1. Julian Bradfield

Re: Special? Maybe in some ways

The photon and the Higgs boson are, um, bosons. Not fermions. It's Majorana fermions that are interesting.

1. Roj Blake Silver badge

A neutron is a fermion though...

1. Julian Bradfield

Where do neutrons come into it, fermions though they be?

5. jonathan keith

Desktop quantum computing?

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the CPU coolers they'll need...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Breakthrough!

I think that physicist have here opened the door to somethimg much larger--something which will eventuallly refute the Standard Model.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Majorana Fermion

Didn't he play for Madrid?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Majorana Fermion

He did. Everyone knew he was really quick, so no-one knows what position he played...

8. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

"To test this out the Princeton boffins built a ridged base plate of ultra-pure crystals of lead..."

"...and laid down a wire of pure iron one atom wide and three atoms thick on one of the ridges."

Yeah, that's, that's, that's pretty much they way I'd have gone about it. Yeah. I'd have painted it a different colour, though.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does this give a lead to what dark matter might be?

As a long-time armchair wonderer... if it is matter and anti-matter cancelling each other out and if it is observed by the fact it creates holes in the places other stuff is expected to be you are observing it by the presence of an effect and the absence of an actual observation. That sounds somewhat familiar over on the Dark Side. Doesn't it?

10. Rick Brasche

question

If, at this level, observation tends to modify or even create behaviors, and we're reasonably sure that with enough energy mass can be created, is it possible that by the extensive effort of explicitly searching for a given theoretical particle, scientists may inadvertently be creating it or causing the effects they seek?

Most of these exotic particle experiments are so specific as they seem to the layman unable to observe, confirm or deny anything but the specific particle or phenomena sought. All this hardware, all the specialized sensors and extreme conditions - not able to "see what happens" but only to confirm a razor focussed hypothesis.

Is it possible that physics has reached a point where it's almost impossible for a "hmm, that's weird" observation of something tangental that can lead to a new avenue of investigation? A type of "myopia" that this hyperspecialization that appears required at these size and power levels? Are we pushing so hard that our methods adding squirrels to Shroedinger's Box?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like