back to article SanDisk hopes to lure in enterprise clients with a little TLC (SSD)

SanDisk has launched its X300 3-bit per cell TLC SSD, which has neat-looking read performance – although the reported write endurance is less impressive. The X300 comes in 128GB, 256GB, 512GB and 1TB capacity points and is classed by Sandy as a client SSD, a mainstream corporate drive, meaning it can replace business users' …

1. frank ly

128GB minimum?

Unless you're a sales/marketing type, with lots of hi-def promotional videos to show to people, I can't think why you'd need 128GB of drive space on your laptop, or even desktop. I get by quite happily with 32GB SSDs on my two old laptops and my desktop.

1. phil dude
      Boffin

Re: 128GB minimum?

or a scientist....;-)

Besides my music is almost 32GB now...!

P.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Just as with spinning hard drives there's a minimum efficient size due to the overhead - controller, DDR cache, SLC NAND cache, assembly, test, along with a certain contribution needed to cover fixed costs like R&D to develop the product line, marketing, etc.

You may only need 32 GB (and certainly aren't typical in that regard) but you're not going to see drives that small anymore. So long as they keep doubling the number of bits they can store every couple years, the minimum efficient size for a drive will double. By 2020 you might have to buy 1 TB drives to store your 32 GB. The good news those 1 TB drives would cost the same as a 128 GB drive does now, or the 32 GB drive you bought a few years ago.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I can't think why you'd need 128GB of drive space on your laptop, or even desktop"

An updated install of Windows 7, Office 2010, Visual Studio 2013, a few utilities and Adobe Lightroom (with the image catalogue & thumbnails for a modest image library both on the SSD) comes pretty close to be honest. Throw in a few larger games (e.g. Shogun 2 - 35GB), and you're sailing past 500GB ...

Personally, I've used nearly 1.5TB of space on my personal PC (mostly 12- and 24MP camera "raw" files) ...

3. dajames

I can't think why you'd need 128GB of drive space on your laptop, or even desktop.

VMs take up a lot of space. I've demonstrated some networked software I'd written for a client, all running on two Windows 7 workstations talking to a Windows 2008 server in three separate VMs on my (Linux) laptop. One of those VMs (the dev VM, with Visual Studio and related tools installed as well as the full source tree for the project) was over 100GB by itself.

Don't assume that one size fits all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like