back to article I'll show you the D next week – billionaire space baron Elon Musk

Elon Musk has been having some fun on Twitter: he posted a cryptic teaser about something new that will emerge from Tesla on October 9 at the firm's design studio in Hawthorne, California. About time to unveil the D and something else pic.twitter.com/qp23yi59i6 — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 2, 2014 So now the interwebs …

1. JustNiz

>> Such a system would be relatively easy to put in place he claimed, saying all you'd need would be a radar system, cameras with image recognition, and long-range ultrasonics.

Thats a particularly clueless statement. The items he listed are all just sensors. They don't make decisions any more than your ears or nose do.

He forgot the part that actually takes that collected data and makes good safe decisons based on it, and THATS the difficult bit that takes all the time/money/development effort you've got and more.

1. Weapon

That is not a clueless statement, he is talking about the hardware requirement. The software requirement is being worked on by Tesla in-house. Being a Silicon Valley company, pretty sure he knows full well how software works, he has been programming software himself since he was 12.

2. The_Idiot

There are...

"Thats a particularly clueless statement."

... a number of things I could and will, at the drop of any hat you choose, say about Mr Musk. But to call someone who has already done and achieved what he has already done and achieved 'clueless' is not one I can ever see or hear myself saying.

You're right to do so is, of course, yours. Sigh...

3. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

"...and long-range ultrasonics."

Unless the ultrasonic waveform includes some form of CDMA, because it is essentially a single channel that everyone would share, it simply will not scale.

Short range sensors for parking work, because they're short range.

Also, it's not clear that barking out high power ultrasonics is something that should be permitted. All kinds of bad things might happen. There should be an environmental impact study on this.

4. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

D = Dilithium

You know it's true.

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Mindless speculation...

Tesla is missing a motorcycle from their product lineup.

3. Mark 85

More mindless speculaton

D is for Discount so more people can buy his cars. Umm.. probably not.

4. Captain DaFt

Obviously...

He's preemptively releasing his own nude photos before they're leaked.

"I'll show you the D next week"

1. king of foo

Re: Obviously...

"Beat" me to it...

5. VeganVegan
    Flame

The Tesla Diesel?

Why not?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: The Tesla Diesel?

No, no, no! It's the Tesla Dirigible.

Electric airships to meet up with his hovering rockets, so you can simply step into your car at home, and commute to the moon.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: The Tesla Diesel?

Tesla Dirigible would be amazing. Imagine if he managed to get a fleet of solar-powered dirigibles with proper helium storage and recapture tech (to minimize losses), including the air compression and condenser tech for ballast control. Wrap it all up, automate it, bring it into the 21st century.

Done right, he could revolutionize shipping. Screw multirotor drones; dirigible delivery! (At least from pad to regional/local depot.)

6. Kharkov
    Thumb Up

The D will be great but we want three OTHER letters...

By all means, Elon, tell us about the D but when, oh when will we get to hear about three other letters.

Come on, Elon, tell us more about MCT!

7. Eddy Ito

Hmm, D? Dookie? Dog? Distance? Dilettante? Dynamo? DC? Duck? Dahlia? Direction? Dealing? Deception? Dénouement?

Meh, more stock price manipulation to make up for his overpriced gaff a little bit ago.

8. Hasham
    Paris Hilton

DVDA

Delivery Vehicle Driving Autonomously, of course.

Why, what else did you think DVDA could possibly stand for?

9. Alister

I reckon it's perfume...

"Musk D" for Men

Now you too can smell like a wet Dog...

10. Richard the Head

Or it could be something simpler

Maybe its just the 4x4 drive. The model S is set up to accommodate additional front wheel drive leccy motors.

11. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

90% ?

(Ring-Ring)

Hello?

Hi Gramps! Yeah? Yeah?

How far did you get this time?

Where? Oh my, that's bad.

What did the police say?

Wow...

Oh my gawd.

Okay.

Good luck.

Bye.

12. Valerion

Batteries

Surely D is just the size of batteries (not included) the new model will run on?

13. arrbee

The other letter is M and he will be revealing his new secret agent identity: DangerMusk

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like