back to article TEEN RAMPAGE: Kids in iPhone 6 'Will it bend' YouTube 'prank'

Two teenagers have braved the wrath of Tim Cook after apparently sneaking into an Apple store and bending a number of iPhones, after which they uploaded the vid to YouTube, as you do. The pair, whose faces are visible in the video, performed their "test" in response to persistent rumours that the iPhone 6 Plus was changing …

1. Waspy

Great work

Similarly I like to scratch diamonds on the face of Rolexes watches in my local jewellers whenever they have a new model out, just to, you know, show Rolex how they need to fix their sapphire glass

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Great work

"A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another intending to destroy or damage any such property or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged shall be guilty of an offence."

Looks like they will be footing the bill.

1. conel

The phones are there for demonstration purposes and the kids were told the phones couldn't be bent... So they were merely testing the assertion of the sales clerk. Don't see how they could be held liable if they can prove the sales clerk told them the phones couldn't be bent.

If I'm told something can't be bent the first thing I'll do is try to bend it, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that instinct.

1. Haku

@conel

Please tell me you don't work for a postal delivery company, those packages marked "FRAGILE" and "DO NOT BEND" are not challenges!

1. Captain DaFt

Re: @conel

"Please tell me you don't work for a postal delivery company, those packages marked "FRAGILE" and "DO NOT BEND" are not challenges!"

looks like your packages are safe with him as long as you don't label them 'INDESTRUCTIBLE', and 'WILL NOT BEND'.

It's the denial of warpage and frangibility that inspires testing, not the admission.

2. Michael Thibault

@conel

and the kids were told, in response to a specific question on the subject, that the phones couldn't be bent... So

either:

the kids were merely gaming the assertion of the sales clerk in response to that question.

or:

the kids were actively misinterpreting the interdiction of bending the phones issued by the sales clerk wise to the threat posed by the kids.

HTH/FTFY

Anyway: As ye reap, so shall ye sow

3. Stretch

buses can't be jumped under

1. sopcannon

They can. Just don't do it when they are moving.

2. henrydddd

Cut them some mercy. Apple should be more flexible when dealing with these kids!

2. Tom 7

A friend bought a Rolex Oyster that filled with water the first time he popped his hands overboard.

Rolex had it back 3 times before they actually tried fixing it. He had to demand a glass of water very loudly in the shop to demonstrate to the unbelieving arseholes that it did indeed fill with water before it was 200m down,

Road testing can be good when the seller is a little too self confident.

2. Uncle Siggy

iBoomerang

Behold the mighty bent iPhone 6 Plus, swooping in from smoking hot pockets to an Apple store near you.

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: iBoomerang

"Hot Pockets..."

3. Anthony Hegedus Silver badge

Nobody mentioned fire. Are iphones fireproof? The people need to know.

"expensive thin item can be broken if force applied" - who knew?

1. Frankee Llonnygog

I hear a rumour

that commentards are bullet-proof. I'm looking for test subjects

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: I hear a rumour

We should ask Eadon about that.

1. Paul Westerman
          Unhappy

I kinda miss that guy.

1. TheOtherHobbes

If he came back, the MS shills here wouldn't.

(Not with the right ammunition, anyway.)

1. 1Rafayal

Not just the MS shills.

All the normal people would be groaning as well

2. Captain DaFt

"I kinda miss that guy."

Well, if you live in any metropolitan area, you can probably find someone like him on some random street corner, orating to a (usually) invisible audience.

Not many of them seem to rail against Microsoft in particular, though, I'll give you that.

4. Justin Case

Conflicted

Whilst not approving of vandalism, if the Apple employee did say that the iPhone could **NOT** be bent then it seems only right and proper that potential customers could validate that claim before making a purchase.

Sounds like just the sort of thing Trading Standards should be doing to protect vulnerable consumers from the over mighty fruity behemoth.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Conflicted

Of course, telling this to teenagers is like waving a red rag in front of a bull…

1. sopcannon

Or like a dominos delivery driver turning up to a gym saying this pizza can't be eaten.

2. Frankee Llonnygog

Trading Standards would be bound to do so in a legal way

3. Nuke
      Holmes

Wrote :- "if the Apple employee did say that the iPhone could **NOT** be bent then it seems only right and proper that potential customers could validate that claim"

I was recently buying a bed with built-in drawers inder it. Such drawers have been getting weaker and weaker over the years (bottoms used to be plywood, then hardboard, now cardboard, paper next?), so I asked the salesman how stong the drawers were.

He said you could stand in them. I was almost tempted to step in, but intead I invited him to step in himself. You never saw a smile vanish so fast from a salesman's face. He didn't, and I didn't buy the bed.

1. fanboi #451
        Pint

Spot on. But the kids should have handed the phone to the fanboi and told him to prove that it wasn't breakable.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

told him to prove that it wasn't breakable.

Logic fail. You can't prove a negative.

4. Andy Gates

When I buy a waterproof gadget, the first thing I do is dunk test it. When a salesdroid came into work touting rugged tablets, I drop tested it right in front of him to a delightful squeak.

...now, iphones don't claim to be rugged, but they do claim to be phones, and we know how people handle phones. Vewwy woughly. If Apple want to launch the "dress phone", as pretty and delicate as a dress watch, they're welcome, but if it's a regular phone it oughta survive regular phone abuse.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The employee could always claim that he meant, "you may not bend the phone" as opposed to "the phone is impossible to bend". It all makes me wonder if Apple stores will now need to display signs saying, "Please do not bend the phones".

5. king of foo

breaking news

Thin, mostly metal objects are bendy.

Thin, mostly plastic objects are snappy.

I suspect if we thawed out "Ugg" from his ten thousand year slumber he would understand this concept.

This is only a design flaw if the bending or snapping takes place through general expected day to day use; e.g. in your pocket. This still beats it exploding and blowing your cock off though, so progress!

And before the anti apple brigade get all upset, I've never before purchased an apple device for myself (iPads for presents) and don't intend to start now.

It's pretty safe to say that 100% of tablets and phablets will bend or snap, given a little pressure. And perhaps 70% of smart phones, depending on the size and shape.

They'll be saying the screens smash when you drop them from a 23rd story window next. .

1. Blofeld's Cat
      Coat

Re: breaking news

"I suspect if we thawed out "Ugg" from his ten thousand year slumber he would understand this concept."

"Hmm, well yes it's nice and shiny, fits the hand well, and I do like those glowing mystical runes appearing on it's surface, but I really can't see it being sharp enough to get the skin off an antelope.

[Produces rock] Now this is a new iKnife with the double-edged scraper as well as the hammer at the blunt end. The obsidian flakes and bits of sapphire are sharp enough to sever a finger.

But only if you're holding it wrong..."

1. AMBxx Silver badge
        Coat

>> Thin, mostly plastic objects are snappy.

Brings back memories of shatterproof rulers at school - mostly in 2 pieces.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: >> Thin, mostly plastic objects are snappy.

How the hell were they never sued for those rulers? They were no more shatter proof than the cheap chinese rulers you'd get at Poundland.

1. I like noodles

Yes they were. When you broke them, did they break in two, or into a thousand pieces with bits flying everywhere?

Just the two you say? Indeed. Shatterproof.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Look - you can touch the ends together!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Colin Ritchie
              Windows

We discovered that you could shatter shatterproof rulers at about -24ºc with enough sudden force applied with a blunt metal object or a concrete floor and a 50 ft drop. Safety goggles were an after thought but we all survived. :)

2. No, I will not fix your computer

>>They were no more shatter proof than the cheap chinese rulers you'd get at Poundland

Actually, I think they were better than the cheap ones, but putting "Shatterproof" meant every kid smashing them as hard as they could against things, it took about a year, but they changed the word to "Shatter Resistant" (same font) - true story.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: breaking news

"Hmm, well yes it's nice and shiny, fits the hand well, and I do like those glowing mystical runes appearing on it's surface, but I really can't see it being sharp enough to get the skin off an antelope.

Plus it'll never replace the iHenge. The latest models can caluculate the phases of the moon within minutes, and you need to sacrifice fewer than 5 virgins nowadays. Which is good, what with virgins getting harder and harder to get hold of, now that the youth of today have started this cave-wall networking.

...I dunno in my day we didn't have all this stuff you were happy with a flint and a stick and there was none of this modern rubbish moving bloody great stones around the place and ruining perfectly nice cave walls and where are all the trees I ask you and you don't get sabre toothed tigers like you used to these modern ones take minutes to eat your children rather than gulping them down in one guy and you can't get the druids any more...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Mr C

i said "dont press the red button"

well guess what? my son pressed it.

Similarly, saying it "can't" be bend will only provoke people into trying to bend it.

The statement alone is a challenge in itself, and having some boneheads rising to the occasion is not a real big shocker is it? (i'm just glad it wasn't my son)

Actually, Apple got around to admitting it can be bend ("7 rare cases discovered") but the Apple employee in the store can not tell to anyone that they "can't be bend" or that its "just a rumour" because both obviously are false statements.

Now, if they manage to find a stash of vibranium, who knows what they will come up with..

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: i said "dont press the red button"

The Apple employee's alleged statement won't be admissible in these kids' defence

1. mmiied

Re: i said "dont press the red button"

"The Apple employee's alleged statement won't be admissible in these kids' defence"

depends is it on the vid as well?

or are they going to get him to testifie?

7. Jah

Not adults but kids can bend it

There is analysis elsewhere that suggests there is a weak spot in the body of the 6 Plus around the volume rocker. I suspect the battery does not provide a lot of structural rigidity in that spot. But kids can't be that strong? And this is a criminal offence, I am sure.

8. Semtex451

While Apple aren't the most PR savvy company on earth, (Antennae-gate etc) I really cant see them pressing charges and making this an even bigger story than it already is.

9. Nash

this

This has less to do with the build quality of the iPhone 6 and more to do with the parents that brought up those 2 benders.

10. ukgnome

WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you telling me......that.........Norwich has an apple store.......

Mind blown!

1. dotdavid

Re: WOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, but it also sells other fresh fruit and veg :-P

1. ukgnome

and cider

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-21443973

Mind blown.......again!!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes, it's hard to spot because the front is obscured by all the Big Issue sellers in the town centre.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge
        Headmaster

Two points

a) city centre, Norwich is a city, so we say "I go down city yisty" not " I went into town yesterday"

b) it's in the Chapelfield Mall, and the Big Issue sellers are found near the market (I think it used to be said because that are was closer to the train from London)

Perhaps this came about because Norfolk people are inherently suspicious and doubt most things - save that the sun will rise and rain will fall, and NCFC will do both.

1. Damothelawyer

Re (a) I've always been told off for this. I'm originally from London - so going 'up to town' means millions of people in a metropolis. Going 'up city' still leaves me wondering where the rest of it is.

That said - completely agree with you otherwise.

Also love the Norwich register readers troop that this thread has revealed.

1. ukgnome
            Pint

> Also love the Norwich register readers troop that this thread has revealed.

I may not be native, but I do have an NR13 postcode, I kinda guessed that all folk wouldn't mind the ribbing.

This isn't a lager it's a pint of Fat Cat ------------------------>

1. Psyx

Mmm... Fat Cat marmalade.

2. Expectingtheworst

One upmanship (would use upwomanship but might be misinterpreted}

NR14

Took an old black MacBook back as screen did not work, neither did second screen.

replaced - one at a time - screen, mother board and HDD. Each time got it home it didn't work. Gave me £500 of a new one - It still cost me £350. Luckily the new white one has worked fine.

2. Moeluk

Please, big issue sellers are outnumbered 10:1 by the moping lovestruck goths milling about in front of the Forum. Honestly I've never wanted to slap people in the face before...but when they stand there sullen face leaning against each other in a semi-hug..I just want to shout "CHEER UP YOU MISERABLE B***ARDS"

1. Psyx

Rejoice: They're their to remind you just how good your life is.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Norwich has an apple store......."

Yarp, and it's managed by my sister and my wife...

Here she is now!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

These kids..

..are helping Apple stay in the news, all publicity is good publicity.

12. Khaptain Silver badge

The intelligent approach

Here is the same thing with a different approach. Actually quite interesting from a "phone benders" point of view.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The intelligent approach

It'd be interesting to see the results of these tests after the phone has been warmed up to body temperature. I know it's only about 15 to 20 degrees above ambient and the alloy used is supposed to be tougher than pure aluminium but it could make a significant difference, especially at the weak spots where the side buttons are. Also, I'm pretty sure that most applications will roll or forge the alloy into shape, whereas I think the phones are milled out from a cast block.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Many years ago ... (1970s)

I was about 7 or 8, and my Mum was in the local Debenhams, where a sales rep was plugging these clothes protectors, which were like a very plasticised cardboard in a frame, which clipped onto the bottom of your iron. They were supposed to make it easier to iron delicates, and prevent dirt getting on clothes (this is before teflon irons).

One of the selling points was they were "unbreakable". A point the salesman emphasized a little over much, since it prompted my mum to tell him that around me, "nothing was unbreakable".

Cue patronising smile from salesman, and an assurance that these "really were unbreakable", as he smiling handed one to me, and *asked* me to try and break it,.

Two seconds later I handed him it in two pieces, as he gave my mum a free one, and asked her to leave - quickly.

(There was an upturned iron on the side, and I just punched the thing onto the pointy bit. It punctured the material perfectly, at which point the frame collapsed.)

1. Swarthy
      Headmaster

Re: Many years ago ... (1970s)

My definition of 'unbreakable' is that it will last >30 seconds in the hands (mouth) of a toddler/small child. Although, even by that loose definition, those doohickeys were not unbreakable.

14. 0laf

If they have sense the iPhone 7 will be made of spring steel

1. Unicornpiss
      Mushroom

@0laf

"If they have sense the iPhone 7 will be made of spring steel"

Everyone knows that iPhones are always made of unicorns, rainbows, and the bittersweet tears of children and underprivileged workers. (sometimes both at once)

15. Ted Treen
    Trollface

HeHeHe!

Bet Jasper thought all his Christmases had come all together...

16. Bunbury

A bit dim to allow your face on the video

Whether or not they get done for it, it's made it a great deal easier for Apple (or the store chain) to try. Which they might well do if only to stop others doing the same.

17. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

FFS, what a pair planks!

Is this moronic activity any better than walking into a jewellers and using a hammer to smash to the cases and walk out? Hope the Police catch the pair of tossers and get 'em out on community service doing something useful with themselves.

I hold no truck with Apple products but this just mindless damage to someone else's stuff, no artistic or newsworthy merit at all.

18. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

What damages?

The $1,000 each retail, or the ~$230 each cost to build another one?

1. John Bailey

Re: What damages?

"The $1,000 each retail, or the ~$230 each cost to build another one?"

Funny you should mention that.

If you break an item in a shop, accident or otherwise, you have indeed bought it. And if you refuse to pay, the police can be called and will persuade you to pay.

BUT!!!

You are not in any way obliged to pay the marked retail price. Only wholesale price. You are compensating the shop keeper for loss of stock, not loss of a sale. They are not allowed to profit from breakages, or it would be an incentive to pile up crockery in easily knocked displays.

So no.. they can not be forced to pay full retail Just the wholesale price. What that is could be interesting.

Personally, I'd put money on the kids not being charged. Unless Apple can get the sum concealed. A sound talking to by their parents perhaps, but that is about all.

1. AIBailey

Re: What damages?

"... if you refuse to pay, the police can be called and will persuade you to pay."

If the shop owner threatens to call the police, call their bluff. This would be considered a civil matter, not a criminal one. If you refuse to pay then their only option to try and reclaim their money would be to sue.

19. Yugguy

They do you know.

It's all true.

20. Gone

"Chumps bending iPhone 6 plus in Apple Store"

The video title sums it up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuQMr-ZvA4I

21. 404

Slightly different scenario, but....

.. when I go laptop shopping, I open a candidate and give the bottom front corners a flex. If it flexes, it's no longer worthy*. Some sales folks look at me oddly at times. Just saying.

*I consciously try not to move/carry open laptops around by their corners - seen too many client laptops with cracked motherboards not to take some caution.

22. Alistair
    Pint

Norwich has an apple store?

Last I looked it was a table on the side of the road.

http://www.twp.norwich.on.ca/

but thats my Norwich. And those apples DONT bend. They mush. And make good cider too.

1. ukgnome

Re: Norwich has an apple store?

Norwich Township is located within the County of Oxford in the heart of Southwestern Ontario.

Please tell me it has an Ipswich 40 miles away but you don't like them because they all drive tractors.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

First your holding it wrong... Now your putting it in your pocket wrong...what next your looking at it wrong..?!?!?

1. Captain DaFt

"First your holding it wrong... Now your putting it in your pocket wrong...what next your looking at it wrong..?!?!?"

Nope, you're spelling it wrong!

1. Michael Thibault
            Facepalm

Oh, Captain, don't be such a natsi! I'm sure yore not perfect. Everyone has there good daze and there bad daze.

2. Psyx

I was under the impression that America was completely lacking in good cider...

1. ukgnome

Not so, America has some great cider. For some reason though they call it hard cider. Usually when they say cider they mean apple juice.

I had a few in California and it was surprisingly refreshing, although they didn't understand putting ice in it.It was a shame I was strapped for time as I wanted to pose outside a Cupertino HQ drinking a pint of rough. Maybe next time, for some reason I would like to get moved on by security there.

23. Chris2812

I am thoroughly disappointed with the iPhone 6. I checked out the Galaxy Edge and it seems like it 'edged' ahead of the new iPhone in regards to innovation. The Galaxy Edge, released to the general public proves that the technology exists to create devices that are not only innovative in terms of screen design but, perhaps paving a new direction that big mobile companies are choosing to go down in the near future. It does also suggest that fully bendable devices or screens haven't been released, as a result of these companies wanting to "savour" the profits over a steady period.

Obviously, the people in the video are rather struck by the idea of a bendy phone or tech device!!

1. Alistair
      Windows

Galaxy Edge

Only reason I haven't hunted one down yet is that I tend to use my phone left handed, and it strikes me that I'd want the curve on the left side not right... but then, I'm weird that way.

(grumpy old fart 'cause I'm hunting down a problem on a winders DB server. *shudder*)

24. CaptainBanjax

Whats all the fuss about...

Shops in Bangkok have been selling bent iPhones for years.

25. Unicornpiss
    Angel

Hmm... Is Uri Geller still around?

'Nuff said...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like