back to article Sarin quits Vodafone

Arun Sarin is leaving Vodafone. The chief executive departs as the mobile group's profits pass £10bn for the year. Vodafone made revenues of £35.5bn, up 4.2 per cent, and adjusting operating profit of £10.1bn in the year ended 31 March 2008. Earnings per share were up 11 per cent to 12.5p. Sarin will be replaced by his deputy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Good bye and good riddance

Let's hope that his departure reduces the number of idiotic politically motivated pronouncements on technology that were so typical of his tenure. Edge, microcells, VOIP - you name it.

Get your coat Arun, you will _NOT_ be missed.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Not a surprise

Everyone I know has been waiting for Colao to take over for nearly the last two years. I suppose Sarin has done a reasonable job given what he inherited from Wide Boy Gent. Colao has been the driving force behind all the cost-cutting.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Go Arun!

Tee hee hee

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

spam..spam..spam..spam.. "*".........

Does that mean we wont get Arun's corner spam shots anymore

woohooo.....

less spam

5. Stuart

Wide Boy Gent?

You mean the guy who transformed tiny Racal Vodafone into the only global pure mobile giant - while everybody else fell by the wayside or had to sleep with the enemy (fixed comms). And he did it profitably. The supreme deal maker without whom the shares would be worth no more than Racal's!

So a person who builds an empire is not best suited to running one - especially as the market matured (saturated). Different skills. Sarin had a rocky ride transforming a sometimes incoherent global empire into an operationally profit motivated group.

Someone who can turn a £35bn revenue stream into a £10bn profit (really?) can't be doing too much wrong except, possibly, beating the regulators into allowing such a rip off of our mobile phone charges.

OK so they had a builder and a transformer. Now they probably want to stabalise the business with an administrator. Mobile is getting boring. The new Chris Gents & Hans Snooks will be building new industries elsewhere. But where?

6. Justabloke
    Coat

Am I the only...

... one who thinks he sounds like a Bond Villian?

Er.. I'll get my coat...

7. Jonathan Richards
    Joke

Simple explanation

It's impossible to travel internationally internationally these days with a name like Sarin, which must be a handicap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarin

I don't need a coat while I've got this respirator on, now do I?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Wide Boy Gent

Indeed, Gent and subsequently Sarin have served the shareholders reasonably well. There were a couple of hiccups on the way (anyone remember the idiot who tried to sell Nokia's candy bar phones to the Japanese) but the play on the biggest open emerging market (I consider China closed in this respect) is probably a good one.

9. mrmr
    Dead Vulture

Sarin is to good for vodafone

But it will do in a pinch

10. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Gaseous Emissions

When he farted did people die?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like