back to article Virgin Atlantic site reveals sky-high employee disgruntlement

Times are hard and friends are few for the civil aviation industry. Airlines are going titsup left and right, while fuel prices rocket and passengers tighten their belts, metaphorically speaking. Now comes shocking evidence from inside one of the world's leading carriers that the malaise is even more serious than we'd imagined …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Biggles
    Thumb Down

Whooosh!..... Missed the joke?

Surely, that's intended to be on the site?

The link is simply a "boss key" that a browser may click if their boss is coming, and quickly look as if they're doing something productive.

I assume that folk looking for employment with Virgin are disgruntled with their current jobs, and hence morale may be a little low.

It's just Virgin injecting a little humour into their site.

Stick. Wrong end of.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Boss Screen

Surely this is a Boss Screen for people found looking at a careers site of another company?

3. Neil
    Thumb Up

Sierra Online

If I recall correctly, games like Space Quest and Leisure Suit Larry used to have a "Boss Key" built in that hid the game and popped up a spreadsheet. Very handy. Glad to see it's spread to the interwebs.

4. Gareth Vaughan
    Stop

Boss key

Isn't this just the equivalent of the 'boss key' that used to be popular in DOS games, i.e. a button that would change the screen to a seemingly work-related, but entirely fictional graph?

Or is that explanation not exciting enough?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

only if your boss allows you to browse virginatlantic

there was a time a few years ago where the virginatlantic website was blocked by my employers webfilter no doubt on an assumption that any site with "virgin" in it was NSFW !

6. Mark Roome
    Coat

So then...?

Where is the "boss key" for The Reg?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Required

isn't this just a screen cover, to stop the boss seeing what you are browsing? Especially useful when it is alternative employment, Hence the chart may be correct for your current job!. It doesn't seem that the figures purport to anything at Virgin..

8. Matt Underwood

Poor photo

What I don't understand is why the photo in the middle of the site is so rubbish. It looks like it's got a scratch across it. Couldn't Virgin provide a better graphic of a Virgin aeroplane?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Matt Underwood

The photo is fine, just those aircraft are not what they're cracked up to be. Ta-dah!

Okay, okay, I know...

10. Drew
    Boffin

@Matt Underwood

It's a pitot tube (part of the speedometer).

11. bluesxman
    Thumb Down

oops

It seems that that whole site is NSFW here:

Your request to website <<removed for brevity>> was denied because of its content categorization: "Job Search"

Now let's just hope they don't log IPs...

12. Chris Gazard
    Boffin

@Matt Underwood & Drew

The line is actually the split between the two rudders on a 747, as the photo is of the tail assembly.

See here for comparison:

http://www.airchive.com/airline%20pics/LHR%20Compressed/LHR%20VG747%20TAIL.JPG

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Biggles

Biggles!

The implication is clearly that someone job-hunting needs a boss key that pops up putative stats for the job-hunter's current company, not Virgin, thus fostering the impression that all is normal below decks.

Cheers,

Algie

14. Paul

Forget Luton ... send them to Heathrow T5

... Send them to Heathrow T5 and maybe I'll see my luggage this side of never never!

15. Kane
    Thumb Up

Boss Key...

...can we have one for The Reg please?

Pretty please?

This topic is closed for new posts.