back to article Apple nurses HealthKit apps back to life, discharges iOS 8.0.2

Apple has released iOS 8.0.2 to iPhones, iPads and iPods a couple of days after its botched 8.0.1 deployment. The iGiant said the .2 update addresses a high-profile bug that broke apps using the operating system's new HealthKit feature – those applications were removed by Apple from the App Store when 8.0.0 was rolled out, but …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Battery Life?

When are they going to fix the killing of battery life they introduced with iOS 8.0?

1. LarsG

I will let others beta test the update before I commit....

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Flame

Re: LarsG

"I will let others beta test the update before I commit...." I decided to update the wife's iPad2 to 8.02 on the basis they might have caught any hidden bugs in the first release - bad move! Safari is now painful with a dozen changes which only seem to be for the sake of playing catch-up to Chrome. The touchscreen sensitivity has gone into overdrive and now requires a spotless screen to work (I was worried this was a problem with the wife's iPad until a friend Saud he had the same issue). Pinch to re-size also seems broken in Safari. All in all, I wish I had stayed at 7.x.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Battery Life?

There is a tiny percentage of people who are or claim to be affected by this with EVERY iOS update. If you won't upgrade until you hear zero problem reports, you'll never perform another software upgrade on anything you own ever again.

1. Mark 65

Re: Battery Life?

"f you won't upgrade until you hear zero problem reports, you'll never perform another software upgrade on anything you own ever again."

Yep, but the third OS release in as many weeks isn't exactly going to speed us to the party is it? I think I'll wait a little bit until there's a stable period.

2. fnusnu

And when are they going to address the treacle like performance on the ipad2?

1. nanchatte

Please refer to LarsG's sterling answer above.

3. Martin-73 Silver badge

I guess this might just be me..

but every time I see a headline including "HealthKit", I wonder what apple is doing with an electronic kits company...

4. IJC
    Trollface

"allow third-party applications to access photos on handsets"

You mean we don't need to hack the iCloud for nude selfies anymore, we can just write an app?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Key features disabled"?

Other than Health Kit, what else was disabled? Nothing? Oh, I see, so it had the typical El Reg slant added then.

While you might have wanted to go out of your way to slant things against Apple if everything was going their way, given the issues they've had the last few weeks it just makes you look stupid when you make stuff up to try to make it sound worse than it was.

1. Mike Bell

Re: "Key features disabled"?

It's the job of El Reg to 'bite the hand', and I for one enjoy its irreverent swipes at the world of IT.

On a purely personal note, I also enjoy reading the rabid rantings of Fandroids here.

1. Not That Andrew

Hmm, I think you have your terminology confused. Fandroids are fanatical Android lovers (they are often freetards - fanatical Linux lovers as well), whereas fanatical Apple lovers are iTards.

But whatever their fetish, the rantings are equally rabid and equally amusing.

1. Mike Bell

No, no, no. Fanbois (and Fangirlz) are the Apple devotees. Fandroids are, as you say, slaves to the world of Android, and their commentard faction are typically identified by a certain frothing of the mouth, brought on by endless trawling of articles in which they claim to have no interest!

/Fandroid Baiting

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Mike Bell

I enjoy the irreverent swipes too, but I do expect the articles to at least be factually accurate. Don't care who it is, even Microsoft, if they make statements that aren't true it devalues them as a news outlet and turns them into more of an entertainment outlet.

I'd prefer to be able to rely on them for both at the same time. That's why I come here instead of visiting a news site and an entertainment site separately.

6. a53

Strangely

I had no problem with 8, upgraded to 8.02 and found I couldn't call or text. a reboot resolved it and all is well now.

7. vee Hybrid

Safari is a mess!

Installing Google Chrome.

BTW.......what is IE?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Apple Revolutionary Magical Update"

I believe 8.0.2 also fixes the bending phone issue

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: "Apple Revolutionary Magical Update"

But does it fix the microwave charging issue? I fully charged my iPhone in the devil's oven while installing iOS 8 (you're advised to plug in while updating). And got a black screen when I took it out. So I'm hoping that 8.0.2 will get me back up and running.

Weirdly, my microwave stopped working at the same time. But I'm told that's probably because Samsung always copy Apple...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like