back to article FAA clears swarm of movie drones for take-off

The US aviation authority has taken the first step on the road to the (potential) over-run of the skies with commercial drones – granting six video and photo production firms an exemption to fly drones for movie-making and picture snapping. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) also said that it was considering 40 other …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time to buy....

a fully automatic shotgun.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

or maybe

take your meds?

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: or maybe

Maybe a little harsh there but I sympathize. This seems pretty harmless as it will be trained pilots within sight and restricted to sets. Personal usage is becoming a huge issue here. I have no issues with people wanting to fly them over public land (or their own land) assuming they can do so safely but sadly some morons think it's ok to fly over private property and film. If I sit in a tree behind your house and took pictures of your kids in the garden I'd likely get arrested for voyeurism or something similar, how is it any different to do it with the camera on a drone? Luckily our HOA have for once managed to do something positive and dealt with the last two drones flying over, I haven't seen the old men so agitated since the great leaky taps disaster of 2011). There's no public land or roads within half a mile yet some nonce wants to film on HD (last one looked like a 5d mk3 with a 16-35 on it) low enough to be within range of a garden hose? I just don't get how people think it's ok.

I think we need some firmer guidelines add to what's ok and what's not. As long as we are sensible we can probably allow more commercial use but the amateurs seriously need some restrictions.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: or maybe (it's the buzzing in your head?)

Dolt!

Humor lost on you morons?

I suppose you like the idea of unrestricted flight of buzzing multibladed nightmares flying between the deck and 500 feet. They will only get larger and larger until one crashes and kills someone.

As someone else mentioned, they'll be towing advertising banners too.

That's when the shotguns will come out. I need some practice for duck hunting season.

No need for rifles, spent pellets cause no harm, spent bullets do.

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

until one crashes and [injures] someone

already happened. Didn't kill the person, but spectators HAVE been hit by drones. That is but one example.

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: or maybe (it's the buzzing in your head?)

"spent pellets cause no harm"

I call rubbish, many are lead. Other materials will still have an environmental effect. Spent bullets are mostly copper cased so if lead cored are environmentally isolated for many years and thus leach slowly.

Depleted uranium spent bullets are probably harmful but I do not know if they are much worse than lead once cool. Anyone enlighten me?

2. Elmer Phud

Jeff Noon

"''The air of Manchester is alive with burbflies, automated advertisements chanting their slogans. loudest of all is for Domino Bones, the new lottery game."

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

In other news,

Sales of rifles with telescopic sights in many states have soared as people see new things for target practice.

The US Army also reports that they have sold out of surplus Ack-Ack guns some of which have been languishing unsold since WW2.

4. i like crisps

They think its all over...

....i wonder if they'll use these at major sporting events, like the World Cup?....might be a bit of a distraction in a Penalty Shootout!..............no 'Footbally' type icon?....tut.

1. Mark 85

Re: They think its all over...

Possibly yes as certain countries' teams would practically beg for a distraction and then claim it's why they lost.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suppose in this case it is better than the alternative

Since the movie studios would otherwise be flying helicopters which are noisier and cause more damage if they crash.

That's not the case for filling the skies with package delivery drones. They wouldn't be displacing helicopters, they'd be displacing guys on bikes.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder how much the incentive was?

Two carryon bags full of $20s?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder how much the incentive was?

Dear lord you're grossly overestimating their moral code. It was just 2 carryon bags, each with a USB drive. 1 drive had "The Frappening 1", the other had "The Frappening 2".

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I wish...

... that I was surprised that the first commercial permits went to Hollywood and their ilk. It's amazing what just happens to happen when you are always there with armored car loads of campaign donations. And just before an election too! Oh and those indies, well they'll have to wait in line or pay the big bucks for the helicopters.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like