back to article The Schmidt hits the brand: Apple's iPhone 6 is a year late, scoffs smug search supremo

With Apple under fire for its bendy, broken iPhone 6es, Eric Schmidt at arch-rival Google is only too happy to put his boot in Cupertino. In an interview with Bloomberg TV, the Google chairman and former CEO needled his competitor down the peninsula. When asked what he thought about the hyped up iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, …

1. SuccessCase

Is this the same motor-mouth Schmidt as who claimed over two years ago that within 6 months all developers would be developing for Android first and that by midsummer 2012 the majority of TV's being sold would have Google TV embedded and that just before it was revealed by anti virus vendors that Android has over 97% of malware on mobile devices said "(Android) Not secure? It’s more secure than the iPhone." ? That Eric Schmidt. Yes I believe it is.

2. brooxta

To 20111 and beyond!

Eric Schmidt was CEO of Google for a very long time!

Don't tell Larry.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Schmidt is wrong

Samsung has never had a bendable phone. Apple is first - as usual.

Oddly enough, Apple no longer needs to release an iWatch. Fanbois can simply wrap their iPhone 6 Plus's around their wrists. Wall Street should be celebrating Apple's coup of taking over the phablet market and the smartwatch market all in one fell swoop.

1. SuccessCase

Re: Schmidt is wrong

So you don't think weight and the embarrassment of having sat down on your £750 phone in the rear pocket of your tight jeans, within two hours of buying it, had anything to do with why the warping was said to be "spontaneous" ?

"Cmmon John let's see that awesome new phone you just bought"

"Well the weirdest thing happened. I put it on the stand next to my bed, and when I woke up, I couldn't believe it, it was just spontaneously an arse shaped pretzel"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Holmes

The first youtube complaint about bending was from a guy who had it in the front pocket of his loose suit-pants at a wedding all day.

So you can't just blame it on fanboi fatness and tight jeans.

1. SuccessCase

That's precisely what I'm doing.

In my book the chance of there being no external factor maybe something like 0.01%. The chance he put his jacket down at some point, maybe before dancing and some fat arse sat on it and bent his phone? High. The chance he bent his own phone by sitting on it or finding he inadvertently applied body weight with it in a location where it was levered round an Archimedean point (such as sitting with it in a tight front pocket), but was too embarrassed to admit he had done it? Also high.

Apple released footage from inside their test facility where they test the phone for durability. Over 15,000 iPhone 6 handsets have been tested to destruction precisely to confirm the design is sufficiently durable. They use precision cut aluminium with steel and titanium re-inforcement inside the chassis.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/25/apple-takes-reporters-on-tour-of-iphone-test-facility-to-address-bendgate-dust-up

I know your default setting is "criticise Apple" Andy and I know you do so without ever checking or backing-up what you say with research, you have plenty of form for that. But you're not alone of course, that's how the phenomena of the fallacious Internet meme's works. All those impatient quick-fire index fingers hovering over "send tweet", and "post comment" buttons the world over.

In days gone by it was called gossip, was frequently simply wrong, but couldn't travel from switch to switch at the speed of light.

4. ratfox

Well, it's not because Samsung had the features first that their phones are better. I believe the fingerprint scanner existed on a Samsung before it did on an iPhone, but the rumors say the iPhone version works better.

On the other hand, this should put to rest the accusations that Android phones are copying iPhones.

1. robin thakur 1

No that's incorrect. A motorola Phone had a fingerprint scanner first of all but the implementation was pretty spotty. Having owned both a S5 and a 5S, it's no rumour I can vouch for the Touch ID system being miles better because you don't have to scrape your thumb over a sharp edged button on a phone that's hard to hold with one hand and pull of the dexterity needed to unlock it without moving your thumb diagnally. The Apple 5S had the fingerprint scanner before the Samsung Galaxy S5.

I would dispute that Samsung did have the same product a year ago because the OS is different and there can be no direct comparison. Samsung's software on top of Android is the part that lets it down, it is attrocious and makes state of the art hardware slower than year old stuff in real world use. A S5 clocked higher than the same chipset in an HTC One M8 is so much slower it's nuts. The only thing they had first was the larger screen size, big deal. Apple have a long and illustrious history of taking its time before entering markets and perfecting them. As a user of Android and iOS, i'd still choose iOS anyday of the week because it's far more reliable, has a far better AppStore and Apps don't crash constantly. The hardware design and support are icing on the cake.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like