back to article Alcatel-Lucent techie: Race for ‘5G’ technologies is 'ridiculous'

Vendors are generally delighted to raise their profile by pretending to have "5G" systems just around the corner, but it was a CTO from Alcatel-Lucent who threw a welcome bucket of cold water over the 5G hype at last week’s CTIA Super Mobility Week conference in Las Vegas. Michael Peeters, the company’s wireless CTO, told the …

1. Tom 35

Marketing

Just want bigger numbers to put on the box every couple years.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Programs or programmes? But not, per this article, 'pro-grams'! Neither 'back-haul'.

I suggest El Reg invest in a style guide such as that published by the Economist, or get some consultancy from Lynne Truss or the like...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We don't even have 4G yet!

At least not based on the original definition, which required 100 Mb/sec. When LTE-A is deployed we'll finally have hit 4G, but I expect a few operators will be trying to claim that's 5G.

5G was defined as 1Gb/sec fixed and 100Mb/sec while in motion (at highway speeds I assume) so I don't think we're going to get there for a long time!

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: We don't even have 4G yet!

Yeah there was a lot of fluffing going on with 4g. We do have 100 mbps. A 20x20 MHz FDD LTE deployment exceeds this on paper but that is shared and assumes perfect signal (in theory you might get 140mbps) etc but on a lightly loaded network fils are seeing 80 mbps.

Using LTE A or cat 6 or Rev 9 or whatever name you want to use :) will allow bonding of channels but in all honestly that's marketing fluff for gaining the highest speed tests. Thera not much you need to do with a phone that uses more than 4mbps. The overall capacity isn't increasing with carrier aggregation. It's just you can access multiple carriers at once which is actually not ideal add the lower spectrum carriers should be left for people who can only access those. You would be unimpressed if you were near the edge of a cell, out of range of higher frequency carriers and the lower frequency was crowded with chumps closer to the antenna who are just phallus stroking over the higher aggregate speed.

Mimo is already ruled out and working here, extra capacity and better quality at the edge of the range which is great, that's probably the next thing you'll see along with CA. Some mid 2000-3000MHz will probably come along to boost capacity as well.

I'm very interested in the ability to operate full duplex that they created last year. That blows the Shannon limit out of the water. That had to be on their list of tricks for 5g.

I realize it is country dependant but 100 mbps even when mobile is a reality for quite a few cities here. Even in the sticks I can get 30 mbps here and that'd on a 5x5 carrier.

4. Zack Mollusc

Wouldn't it be simpler..

...to build a few gigabytes of cat videos, duckfaces and moronic tweets into each handset at the factory?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like