back to article Amazon shovels cash into hush-hush Lab126 despite Fire Phone fizzle

Amazon's much-hyped Fire Phone met a cool reception from consumers, but that won't stop CEO Jeff Bezos from doubling down on his consumer electronics ambitions, industry insiders claim. Citing anonymous sources, Reuters reports that the e-commerce giant plans to invest another $55m into its secretive Lab126 division, which …

1. Carbon life unit 5,232,556

Gotta hand it to Bezos

he's in it for the long game.

2. Darren Barratt

Could be over reaching? Is amazon in profit these days, tax issues aside?

1. NotWorkAdmin

Unlikely

Bezos has been more than clear profits aren't the priority.

I'd have to say I think they're going about this wrong. The end game seems to be control of the user, and to funnel them towards your services. Google managed this with Android without really getting into hardware all that much. I'd imagine Google make more money out of a Samsung phone than Samsung do for instance.

3. Eddy Ito

So what could they be working on next? First there was Kindle and then Fire so the only product left is Ash. Hmm, Amazon Ash or Ashes of Amazon? Also, what kind of product could it be, a smart watch, home automation cloud? No matter, I'm sure Jeff has it all worked out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like