back to article Student pleads guilty to Frances Abbott 'secret' scholarship leak

Sydney student Freya Newman has pled guilty to illegally using a colleagues' login credentials to access and leak documents about a scholarship awarded to the daughter of Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott. Newman was charged with unauthorised access to restricted data after she accessed a email system owned by the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No HELP* debt for the PM's daughter, I guess.

* Australia's 'Higher Education Loan Program': a secondary tax on 'being educated' on top of the higher tax bracket most tertiary-educated people already pay due to their education allowing them to work at a higher income level. Introduced and not repealed by politicians who went to uni for free in their own youth.

Primary reason I have allowed my skillset to stagnate to the point where I will be unemployable in several more years (I can live quite adequately on welfare, so ... early retirement at public expense. Wheeeee!)

1. silent_count

Re: No HELP* debt for the PM's daughter, I guess.

If you so greatly resent paying a higher tax rate then feel free to submit your resume to McDonald's. A high tax rate will thereafter no longer be an issue.

And if you don't want to pay for a university course, don't go to university. How hard is that to understand?

Anyhow, you won't need a degree for your low tax, dream job at Maccas.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I resent paying extra taxes explicitly penalising me for having an education (which society benefits from more than me anyway). The income tax levels are fine. And I can get enough money to live off the dole, so Maccas is unnecessary.

"And if you don't want to pay for a university course, don't go to university. How hard is that to understand?" My point exactly. Thanks.

2. dan1980

@AC

HELP (previously HECS) is not a tax.

I am left of centre in my views and believe that many services should be provided to all people through tax-funded institutions.

The idea, however, that University should be provided in the same manner as public primary and secondary education just doesn't sit well with me.

The idea is that everyone should have an equal chance to pursue the career of their choice. This is what the public school system and HELP/HECS is for. The schooling provides for people from all socio-economic backgrounds to get a comprehensive education and a have a fair chance and being accepted into the university course of their choosing. HELP/HECS then allows them to do their degree without having to worry about where the money is going to come from. We also help them get to and from uni with subsidised public transport as well as assist with living allowances.

Yes, making your own way through university can be difficult and yes, the loan is big and repaying it takes time but that is the price that you pay and if you apply yourself then the pay-off is a better career with higher earning potential.

There is something fundamentally unfair about asking someone to help fund another person's degree when that degree will result in the recipient earning more money than the person being asked to pay for it.

If everyone went to university then it would be fairer, but still far from great as many people do cheaper degrees and there can be a vast disparity between wages of the resulting careers. Why should someone who studied social work or nursing and subsequently works in the public health system for mediocre wages be asked to help pay for someone doing a law degree who will end up earning several multiples of the social worker's salary?

In reality, it's even less fair as plenty of people don't want to go to university. Some want to learn a trade and some want to pursue other options - perhaps music - and still others just simply don't manage to get entrance into what they want to do and so choose to enter the workforce rather than sit through 3 or 4 years of a course that really doesn't interest them.

Why should that person have to pay for those who did manage to get into the course they wanted? Worse, what about all those people who are doing courses they didn't really want and may drop out of or change part-way through. I know 2 people who spent ~8 years at university dicking around with various arts courses. Should someone who left school at 16 to work in the family business have to pay for a young adult who just doesn't know what they want to do with their life?

1. lucki bstard

I think part of the original posters issue was that HELP was promoted by people who didn't have to pay for their tertiary education, but have passed laws that ensure that other do have to pay; and the poster finds the situation ironic.

2. Elmer Phud

Just what do they teach them these days?

"She was captured on CCTV logging into the system while she worked at the library at the same time the emails were accessed."

Oh, ffs!

Despite the Assange ego, Wikileaks can be contacted via Tor.

3. Fluffy Bunny

Malicious

Her actions were malicious. Keep her in jail.

1. dan1980

Re: Malicious

She suspected the leader of her country of publicly lying and tried to prove it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So let me get this straight....

The Daughter of the Aussie PM, who you'd think has the Money, no wait he has YOUR money, would be able to pay for his own daughter to go to University without the need for a scholarship.......

Now it appears she got said scholarship faster than would normally happen even before she started the course which can happen but is generally highly unusual.

Of course this stinks only because no-one in Australia appears to like Mr Abbot, but it appears as if she got special dispensation for being related.. would this have happened to anyone else??? Probably not, some more clarification is needed and this will no doubt come out during the farce, I mean trail....

I don't blame the person who leaked the info after all they had good intention - i mean we can't have the daughter of the PM treated any differently from anyone else now can we, but right now that's how it looks ......

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Abbott's got form with rorting

The man is a master rorter.

Weddings, parties, anything.

6. JJKing

The news about Team Tony's pommie passport got quickly snuffed didn't it. One would think he is still a pom since he shoved his nose in and opinionated about the Scotland vote. Maybe he just really wants a knighthood. I would prefer he get one of those terrorist night hoods and off to the dungeon he goes. Having now insulted our inglorious leader, Captain Team Tony, I am now waiting for the anti terrorist thugs to pop round to my place and shoot me.

7. Wombling_Free
    Black Helicopters

EYES FRONT OR YOU'RE NEXT.

I think it is now a crime to criticise our PM at all. I'm surprised Freya wasn't detained under anti-terrorism laws, then "regrettably shot to death when she lunged at a Federal Officer with a knife" as we call political murder down 'ere.

8. Rex Alfie Lee

This is a travesty. Abbott is a pig...

9. david 12 Silver badge

Special treatment?

Hello, actually a bit suprised to see the sub-header. Because at the time, the almost unanimous opinion of the ABC (not generally known as a hotbead of Abbott support) was that Frances Abbott was a legitmate contender for the scholarship in 2011, and that the attack was a sexist assault on a young woman merely because she had a family attachment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like