back to article ARM gives Internet of Things a piece of its mind – the Cortex-M7

ARM has had a look at the fridges, speakers and robots that use its Cortex-M series processor cores and decided they need a few maths lessons. The Cortex-M7's block diagram The Brit CPU designer has today revealed its new 32-bit Cortex-M7, which will sit at the top of its its microcontroller-grade family of cores in terms …

1. frank ly

At last

"That means ovens with better voice-recognition when you speak to them ... "

This is what most people have needed all their lives.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: At last

Mandatory response of the deivce when...

Oh F**k. you stupid oven you have burnt my cakes. I've a good mind to turn you off forever

I'm sorry Dave I can't allow that

Dave reaches for the off switch and a bolt of leccy fries him on the spot.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

@Steve D3

I thought it was Alfred who cooked a charred cake.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I thought it was Alfred who cooked a charred cake."

Wouldn't the BatOven have prevented that?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This whole "internet of things" nonsense is just a load of marketing BS driven by companies looking for any edge to sell their tat to some gullible geeks. An oven that you can talk to might be cool if you're a 15 year old boy, but most adults are quite capable of turning a dial. Same with the whole fridge-that-can-tell-you-when-you've-run-out-of-milk idiocy. Guess what - I can open the door and see for myself! Amazing!

Its the usual story of it can be done but nobody asking if it should - just like touchscreens in cars. useful for some things but not others. I particularly DON'T want to navigate a number of menus to turn on the feckin heater or switch radio channels when I'm doing 70mph when I can do the same with a button and don't even have to look!

1. John 156
        Stop

Since when has ARM been trying to market the IoT as the basis for an intelligent kitchen; this is an assumption by people, usually politico types who are not aware of any technology outside their own very limited horizons.

2. Bush_rat

Coincidence or by Design?

Apple's co-processors designed to handle sensor data like this one describes are also called the M7 (and M8 now), I wonder if that's just a coincidence or have ARM named it after Apple or vice versa or perhaps they are made in conjunction with Apple?

EDIT: Wikipedia to the rescue! Apple's M7 is based off of the ARM M-3 chip, likely called the M7 because it was released at the same time as the Apple A7 CPU. And gosh they are tiny chips, 0.1mm square is nothing for such a useful chip.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Coincidence or by Design?

> And gosh they are tiny chips, 0.1mm square is nothing for such a useful chip.

Worth noting that's just the CPU area _in_ the chip - not the whole chip. Someone will have to bolt on peripherals, bus, internal memories, pin out pads, etc to form the whole chip which an end developer would buy.

That said, in reality at the "small end" the logic gate area is significantly smaller than the area needed for pin out (I think the smallest I've seen is 2mm x 2mm, which was achieved by eschewing packaging and just dipping the silicon in a ceramic paint to insulate and protect it).

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: Coincidence or by Design?

"Worth noting that's just the CPU area _in_ the chip"

Absolutely – perhaps I need to make this clearer. The 0.1mm sq is the core. If you're manufacturing one of these, you'll have to bolt on peripherals et al.

C.

2. Arthur Jackson
        Pint

Eschewing - a lovely word which I shall try to incorporate into at least one conversation today.

Have a beer !

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And Apple's A7 is based on ARM's A57.

I've often wondered what ARM think of the way Apple use so similar sounding names for there processors. I'm sure if it was the other way around then lawyers would be involved by now!

1. Steve Todd
        Stop

No, it isn't. The A7/A8 are based on Apple developed cores code named Cyclone, which was derived from the work on the A6 Swift core. They are rather more power efficient than the A57.

Like Qualcomm Apple have an architectural licence with ARM that allows them to design their own silicon providing it meets the ISA specs that ARM provide.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doesnt matter how much more grunt you give them, CPU's are still wildly inefficient for this sort of 'intelligence' processing.

Considering how much the 'Internet of Things' relies on low-power processing, it is a red-flag that this regurgitated press release hasn't included extensive power usage figures or any kind of power use comparison.

1. DropBear
      Boffin

The 'low power' part about the 'Internet of Things' comes into play in relation to the relatively long periods of inactivity such devices spend in low-power mode between bursts of activity. Sure, for a battery-powered mobile node the powered-up consumption is also important, but for an appliance permanently plugged into the mains - not so much. On the average, it will still consume exactly nothing if it 'sleeps' most all the time. And there's that other thing as well - even with power-conscious applications, it's not simply how much power you consume when active - it's also how long you need to stay active to get your stuff done (and a more powerful MCU can go back to sleep faster).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I agree, but one of the primary example cases was drones, essentially an 'always-on' example.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

No problem

Just add some more AAs - it's the El Reg way.

4. Frankee Llonnygog

This is a great time for tinkerers

Every day almost, a new CPU. With the range of toolsets and cheap development boards available now, there has never been a better time to do DIY electronics.

Keep em coming chip boffins - you're doing a great job!

1. Mike 125

Re: This is a great time for tinkerers

@Frankee

Yea, it's better times for pros, too. The market for embedded sw engineers, and especially those with some low power and/ or security knowledge, is looking quite rosy at present. Most good people have been sucked in and blown out of the mobile industry over the last few years. That's now a nightmare, as mobile races to the bottom.

But just recently, it's become clear that we may be able to avoid Linux just a bit longer...

1. DropBear

Yea, it's better times for pros, too. The market for embedded sw engineers, and especially those with some low power and/ or security knowledge, is looking quite rosy at present IN CHINA. FTFY.

Unfortunately, "embedded" means by definition some sort of production of goods taking place, and as we know that kind of thing happens exclusively in China these days (and I'm talking about design too, not just the physical production itself). I certainly wish you were right though - I just don't see any sign of it whatsoever...

1. Will 30

If you're really in the UK, in the embedded design business and unable to find work, then you must have done something badly wrong at some point.

From where I sit (in the UK, in the embedded design business), things are frantically busy, I turn work away all the time and all my uk-based subcontract manufacturers are flat-out.

5. ganymede io device

and the low power part of IoT is also forms part of a focus point for investment in UK innovation. The government funded Technology Strategy Board (aka InnovateUK) has a £3.5m competition for funding business collaboration with the title 'Scaling up energy-efficient computing'.

https://www.innovateuk.org/competition-display-page/-/asset_publisher/RqEt2AKmEBhi/content/scaling-up-energy-efficient-computing

6. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like