back to article SpaceX Dragon cargo truck flies 3D printer to ISS: Clawdown in 3, 2...

The International Space Station has snapped up the latest SpaceX Dragon and its supplies, including the floating lab’s new 3D printer. Alexander Gerst and Reid Wiseman watch the approach of the SpaceX Dragon from the Cupola. Are you there, Dragon? It's us, Alexander Gerst and Reid Wiseman. Credit: NASA TV The commercial …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge

Is printing a gun illegal in orbit?

1. Ogi
      Headmaster

Not sure if facetious .... but AFAIK no, it is not illegal.

Based on what reading of outer space treaties I've done, non-nuclear weaponry is a-ok in space. So yeah, it might not make you particularly popular on the ISS, nor would it be of much use without ammo, but yes, you legally could do it (assuming you had the authority to make that decision).

1. Vulch

Indeed

Although for the ISS you'd probably be better off 3d printing a small crossbow. You could print the bolts for it too and there would be less chance of putting a hole in a module when it goes off accidentally in the struggle.

2. Crazy Operations Guy

It'd be impressive if they could actually print a gun (Even on the ground) rather than a ridiculously expensive IED with an ammunition cartridge as an explosive element. Anything that is far more likely to kill the person holding it than even hurting anyone it is pointed towards is nowhere near being a gun.

1. JDX Gold badge

You don't know much about early firearms!

3. cray74

The Rooskies traditionally packed a gun into their Soyuz capsules, which sometimes went off course into Siberia and attracted wolves.

2. gregthecanuck

Congratulations SpaceX!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It looks they are going to shoot some 4K movies as well...

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/09/canon-cinema-eos-captures-space-in-4k-for-new-imax-3d-film/

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

In a more interesting universe...

... the ISS would host a wormhole portal and SpaceX would bring down rare artifacts and mysterious specimens from unknown biospheres.

Fruit flies? PAH!

1. Kharkov
      Trollface

Re: In a more interesting universe...

In a more interesting universe, the station would host ambassadors from Mimbar, Centauri Prime, Narn and we'd see a big wurlitzer floating around and a guy called Morden who would...

Hang on, wrong station.

5. JDX Gold badge

Flies

Just hope they don't get loose. Imagine being stuck in the ISS with flies buzzing around you, and nowhere to escape to.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Flies (Solution is 3D Printer)

Nothing that a plastic flyswatter can't cure. I'm sure you can print one right away.

2. Mark 85

Re: Flies

They could print a rubber band gun and shoot rubber bands at the flies. Everyone (except the flies) would have a great time.

3. Chris G

If the flies really bother them they could always open the door!

When I read the earlier article about the printer I assumed it was an experiment to see how well it could perform in 0G, still, it is the first step towards a replicator.

A properly working replicator a la Star Trek would be great but for dramatic purposes it will never be able to replicate the really important things like dilithium crystals after the old ones have blown because 'she cannae take it'.

Next is the Holodeck complete with alien babes and a starkissed beach.

1. MyffyW Silver badge
        Paris Hilton

@Chris_G I think the reason dilithium crystals can't be replicated goes something like this:

The replicator creates matter from energy (hence it's a finite resource, crew are given replicator credits, Janeway goes on fools errands for a cup of real coffee, etc).

The replicator gets it's energy from the nuclear reaction of dilithium (and if you ask how that works I will only be able to answer very well, thank you)

So the replicator could in theory create non-depleted dilithium, but in doing so would use more energy than it would harness in said crystals (due to the 2nd law of thermodynamics).

4. Martin Budden Silver badge

I wonder how well a fly flies in microgravity?

Anyway, don't leave any fruit lying (er, floating) around and the escaped fly problem will come to a natural end in due course.

6. Pen-y-gors

what sort of 3d printer?

What sort of things can they actually print? (apart from guns) - does it just produce brightly coloured plastic models of the Eiffel Tower, or can they knock out real, useful, spare parts made of some suitably strong metal alloy?

I assume it doesn't produce cups of leaves in hot water yet.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: what sort of 3d printer?

Looks like an additive type, the sort that feeds in plastic, softens it with heat at the print head, and builds up the model in layers. A fancy version of a hot-glue-gun. They mention a next iteration using 'higher temperature plastics'. There was some discussion before about printing metal parts, but the only way I know of of achieving that is with laser sintering of powder, which relies on gravity to keep the powder in a level bed.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"metal parts...laser sintering of powder, which relies on gravity to keep the powder in a level bed."

A big magnet in the base?

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

A big magnet in the base?

Sure, if you want to make something out of magnetic metal. But I'd imagine that most spacey stuff should be non-magnetic.

(IANARocketScientist)

2. Anonymous John

"Funded in a public-private partnership by Made in Space and NASA, the 3D printer is the first device of its kind to ever launch into space. Engineers on the ground will uplink commands to the printer, giving it a 3D model of an object to build out of a stock of plastic carried inside."

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/falcon9/013/140921launch/#.VCH-7JRdWSo

So possibly an Eiffel Tower. I read somewhere that a more sophisticated 3d printer will follow in the near future.

7. Feldagast

I am wondering how well that printer will print in zero g, there has to be some separation from print head to printed surface, wonder if that will make a difference in orbit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

That just might be...

Experiment #1.

Just remember, if every experiment succeeded, 1) life wouldn't be any fun and 2) we might not be where we are now (anyone remember 'Connections'?)

1. Brandon 2

Re: That just might be...

"if every experiment succeeded,..." If by this you mean that failure is part of success and learning, then you have my upvote.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

I imagine they might have tested it upside-down on Earth...

If it works at ±1G, it probably works at 0G!

8. Beachrider

I wonder if they are going to do autonomous docking some day...

The Russian supply probes can automatically dock, if needed. I don't recall if the Commercial vendors will be adding this function someday.

1. Irongut

Re: I wonder if they are going to do autonomous docking some day...

IIRC SpaceX have the capability. NASA just don't trust their software yet hence the big baseball mit on the end of a broom.

9. Alistair
    Pint

*ding dong* <st>avon</st> spacex calling

@JDX -- might be interesting to see how quickly they adapt to (near 0) G. Fruitflies aren't too bright to start with. (contemplates neon painted fuitflies in (near 0) G under a blacklight) ......

@Irongut. considering the capabilities it has, it wouldn't denigrate it by labelling it a baseball mitt. But I'll grant the license in context.

Always nice to see another successful launch and delivery. I really would like to see the first "controlled" landing in the first person, hell I wouldn't mind being on one of the early passenger ready modules either, but I seriously doubt they'd need me to do an "on site" visit.

10. Anonymous John

Mice in SPAAAACE

Don't forget the passengers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like