back to article Reg readers respond: Yes, it's time for Comment of the Week

Another week, another batch of angry flaming going on in the hallowed halls of El Reg's comments threads. Naturally, we've sliced and diced this week's choicest comments for your amusement - and enragement. This week's contenders for the Golden Vulture Dropping of Agreement are a relatively modest and temperate crowd, which …

1. dogged

Have you considered renaming this "Trevor Pott Comment of the Week"?

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
      Megaphone

Hello,

Thank you for registering your complaint with Vulture Central. Unfortunately, all agents are currently busy and unable to take your call. Fortunately, we have an automated system that should be able to handle most complaints.

If your issue regards spelling, grammar, or factual inaccuracies, please use the "Tips & corrections" link on the lower left of the article, or e-mail corrections@theregister.co.uk.

To complain about Andrew Orlowski, please press 1.

To complain about Jasper Hamill, please press 2.

To complain about Trevor Pott, please press 3.

To complain that The Register displays a bias for or against the brand to which you have married your personal sense of self worth, please roll your face around on the keypad in an incoherent rage.

>3<

To complain about Trevor Pott's bias for or against something, please press 1.

To leave a detailed message about how Trevor Pott got something wrong and this offends you, please press 2.

To threaten Trevor Pott and or his family please press 3.

To question Trevor Pott's experience, credentials, parenting, genetics or socioeconomic standing please press 4.

To question Trevor Pott's relevance, please press 5.

To complain about Trevor Pott having shown up in "Comment of the Week" {2} times, please press 6.

To complain about Trevor Pott's personal politics, please roll your face around on the keypad in an incoherent rage.

>6<

We're sorry that you are offended Trevor Pott has been mentioned in "Comment of the Week" {2} times. Please try coming up with something that's actually interesting so we have something better to put in "Comment of the Week" than his inane drivel.

Note that all interactions with this system are recorded. Thank you from Vulture Central.

1. dan1980

I suspect it will soon be {3} times . . .

In that case, we'd have to expand the first layer options to include "To complain about incestuous recursion in the selection of "Comment of the Week" comments, please press 4".

So much work maintaining an imaginary IVR!

2. dan1980

>3<

. . .

>4<

. . .

You have kids?

"You have kids?"

Nyet. The reference was more "how I was raised" than "how I raise in-house larva". I am, however, owned by several pets. Many of which apparently are quite popular picks by subeds for the pictures of various articles...

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

Would you mind if I use this model on my company voicemail?

It's a lot better than forcing people to hang up by playing them jazz :)

Pint

Re: Sir

We'll add it to your tab.

3. dogged

Trevor - It's not a complaint, it's a suggestion.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Personally I would have thought that the IVR went:

"Thank you for registering your complaint with Vulture Central. Unfortunately, all agents are currently busy and unable to take your call. Fortunately, we have an automated system that should be able to handle most complaints.

Goodbye"

1. Tom 13

@m0rt

Actually I expect a real El Reg message would be shorter and more to the point:

"Thank-you for your call. We're all down at the pub grabbing a pint. If you want to register a complaint come over and buy us a round."

>Beep.<

5. Tom 13

Re: To complain about Andrew Orlowski, please press 1.

Orlowski? Surely you mean Lewis Page!

Granted he's an editor now, so we see fewer of his articles, but I expect it will be another year at least before he AO gathers as many flames as LP.

Full diclosure: I'm actually an LP fan, I merely note the historical record.

6. Fatman
        Joke

IVR choices

ONLY if you have set it up IMproperly!

>3<

"That is an invalid choice!"

>1<

>2<

is an example of setting one up properly.

2. Peter Simpson 1
    Thumb Up

This may just be the quote of the century

If you ask 100 people on the street what is wrong with TV, none of them will say "Resolution"

- Nicholas Negroponte, M.I.T.

Couldn't have said it better myself

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon