back to article Want a Tizen phone to build apps for? Now's your chance – provided you don't need it to work

It's looking worse and worse for Samsung's Linux-based Tizen OS as a smartphone platform contender. Not only are we unlikely to see a consumer mobe running Tizen this year, but it seems even developers will be hard-pressed to get their hands on working kit. The Tizen Project emailed devs with information about the next round …

1. Eddy Ito

So basically it's not for developing apps requiring a phone such as call screening/blocking/blacklisting, anything that dials, phone recorders or really anything phone based. I wonder if it has a SIM or SIM simulator for developing apps that use that data.

1. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

Sounds like a burning platform - next thing you know, Elop will be trojaned in to vaporize it.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Hah. It already looks like a plan conceived by Elop. Maybe he's been moonlighting for Samsung.

2. Old Used Programmer

Well... If it has the functional programs of a Handspring PDA, a stylus, and a slot for removable media (say, micro-SD), *I'd* certainly have a use for one...

1. Paul Kinsler

sounds like a handy replacement for my Zaurus!

... although actually the Z hasn't died yet,

3. bigtimehustler

I am still using an S3 running the latest android OS and it is perfectly capable, so that isn't really an issue. Given that this device is for testing things you can't test in an emulator (you can test all the phone dialling stuff in an emulator) I really don't see what is shocking about this...kind of standard and perhaps making a story from nothing.

1. asdf

except

>kind of standard and perhaps making a story from nothing.

I agree normally this information wouldn't be much by itself the fact that the Meego/Tizen vaporware (for phones anyway) saga is now approaching Duke Nukem territory is why this is noteworthy. Again Tizen is simply a bargaining chip Samsung has in its arsenal and will probably never see the light of day in more than a trivial way.

4. b0hem1us

better than nothing

I'm about done with my app for Tizen and I welcome this even though devices on sale would be better for obvious reasons. As for the platform, I actually like it. The OSP framework gets the job done even if the coding feels a bit 80s in a way and it is well clean of any cloud related APIs that will leak your privates. There is low level access to almost all system parts so you can for example easily write a firewall w/o needing to root the phone. It is basically better organized, perhaps even simplified Meamo -> MeeGo. I would actually buy one if it came out. The N900 was awesome.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Haven't we been here before?

Samsung's previous effort had no Bada bing either.

Anon because of the appalling joke but someone had to come out with it.

6. Richie 1

So of the 5 open source phone OSes

Sailfish and Firefox OS have been shipped in phones. WebOS is extinct. Tizen is now vapourware. Ubuntu is not quite vapourware but evaporating a little.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like