back to article Critical Adobe Reader and Acrobat patches FINALLY make it out

Adobe belatedly pushed out critical updates for its frequently-attacked Reader and Acrobat PDF software packages on Tuesday. Mac and Windows users of Adobe Reader XI (11.0.08) and earlier versions should update to version 11.0.09. Adobe Reader X (10.1.11) users who can't upgrade are being offered a patched version of the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A system restart!? For an editor/viewer!?

I guess if it wasn't for the airfare they'd actually pop round and urinate on my desk too...

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Coat

Re: A system restart!? For an editor/viewer!?

As long as they keep it in the sandbox.

2. Sandtitz Silver badge

Restart?

"Sysadmins should note that applying the patches will involve a system restart."

I just updated my XI and it didn't ask for a system restart.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wanna see Adobe rub a virtual bell-end on my virtual desktop?

Adobe whips it out

And yep, "Jetzt neu starten" is indeed the button that gives you the chance to go and make a cuppa (only to find out that STUPID BLOODY WINZIP halted the reboot ten seconds later so that it could point out that it can't promise not leave something in the temp folder, as if this was a problem unique to reboots and not exactly like any other other time that it exits before a downstream app)

This machine has the full Distiller install - maybe a reboot isn't needed for just Reader? or because an Explorer window was also open and they couldn't be arsed implementing the replace-in-use-DLL logic? or because "Adobe"...

3. Infernoz Bronze badge
    Meh

Who few still use Adobe Acrobat and Reader?

Both are bloated and insecure; I've never had a problem with SumatraPDF (reader) and other PDF writer tools.

1. Paul Webb
      Unhappy

Re: Who few still use Adobe Acrobat and Reader?

Those who have to deal with HMRC, amongst others.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Those who have to deal with HMRC, amongst others."

Didn't HMRC also require users to use MSIE 6 because their developers are too lazy to change to standards compliant pages that render properly in most other browsers?

It seems that the government is always behind the times, they'll be requiring Silverlight next.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Mongo only pawn in Game of Life"

(and therefore has no way of altering corporate IS decisions beyond respectfully submitting suggestions, to be filed under "Month XIII")

3. Refugee from Windows
      Unhappy

I'm sorry Adobe, but our relationship has come to an end. I've noticed that you've been spending a lot of time trying to fix things, parts that I never actually asked to have and have generally putting on weight and getting rather lax about my security. It's over, you are but a memory on my hard disk, and I've got a new more lightweight partner.

4. phuzz Silver badge

Time to wander round the office and update those last few hold outs who still use Acrobat Reader *sigh*.

I've been using Sumatra PDF for a while, it displays PDFs, and it's not made by Adobe, which were the only two features I needed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sadly true; "Contains no Adobe code" could well be a box on a purchasing checklist.

5. AMBxx Silver badge

Anyone got version 2 or 3?

Back then, I'm sure there was no possibility of a security problem - no links or script or suchlike.

6. Vociferous

What was it, 30? critical security flaws in Adobe products last month?

And next week it'll be 8 more. And the week after that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Re: What was it, 30? critical security flaws in Adobe products last month?

Yeah. I've always found it hilarious how Adobe can have more security vulnerabilities in a glorified document reader and browser plugin per month than entire operating systems. Keep it up.

2. Tom 7

Re: What was it, 30? critical security flaws in Adobe products last month?

Theres a hole in your document viewer dear Lisa a hole.

7. mattyg

Adobe Reader Alternatives

You all seem to hate Adobe Reader, and I'm beginning to see why...

... can anyone recommend an alternative PDF viewer that allows you to insert Comments in the same way that AR does? Don't need to edit the actual PDF, but comments is a crucial tool.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks!

1. Looper
      Devil

Re: Adobe Reader Alternatives

Try this product: www.google.com...

8. Tree

Classic bloatware for a price

Reader used to be a good document reader but has too much other stuff. For making PDF's use Open Office or Libre Office. They are both great and do not have Microsoft Office vulnerable scripts. Also they are free of charge. How can anyone justify paying for these programs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like