back to article Order an iPhone 6 from midnight PT – if Apple's web store holds up better than its livestream

We've had the hype. Now it's time for fans to empty their credit cards. Apple will accept orders for the new iPhone 6 starting from midnight tonight, Pacific Time, or 0800 UTC wherever you are. Punters can head online and reserve their reassuringly expensive iGear ahead of the stuff being put in the post and going on sale …

1. Scott Earle
    Stop

0800 UTC?

That would be 0700 UTC no?

Unless you mean Pacific Standard Time (without the Daylight Savings Time that is currently in effect)?

Did you mean 0800 BST?

1. You have not yet created a handle
      Gimp

Re: 0800 UTC?

It actually came up at about 08:50 BST - there must have been an Apple time shift somewhere, or maybe the webmaster was using a pre-release AppleWatch.

No biggens available for 3-4 weeks unless you wanted it in 16GB Gold which would be wrong in so many ways, smaller ones shipping next week (according to the website when I ordered, but the email confirmation says 7-10 days)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 0800 UTC?

0841 UK managed to get myself a 6 and a 6+ for the wife, both 64GB, delivery on the 19th.

Anyone interested in two immaculate 5S phones?

Come on some hard up Android user might be interested in a bit of a discount.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh ffs Reg

Enough of this free publicity extending the hype. I thought this was a tech site

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Alert

The real reason is....

All those lovely advertising clicks they'll get when they can come back and point to this article and say,

"We told you so. We said that the Apple Store would fail under the weight of off these Sheeple, and it did."

Then they can toddle off down the pub (it is Friday) with a smug grin on their faces and a good feeling inside.

3. Annoyed Grunt

800 quid for a phone! Are they on crack!

You can buy a f**king car for that!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Car?

Yes a 5th hand Corsa with 190,000 miles on the clock.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh..

.. the only reason I'd buy an iPhone that's even bigger than the 5 is because it has better hardware, but the size rather bothers me - I prefer to be genuinely glad to see people :).

But hey, I'm in no hurry - I let the fans buy the first ones and find the inevitable bugs. If I decide in a few months that I can live with yet again a bigger phone I'll get one - by that time there will be no queueing, no waiting, no breathless idiots (well, OK, fewer) - much more relaxed.

I'm not one for hype, not even much for brand loyalty - I buy what I like, and the best time to evaluate that is when it has been in use for a while. You won't believe how much grief and money that saves, and that it annoys overhyping marketing execs is an undeniable bonus :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meh..

" - I buy what I like, and the best time to evaluate that is when it has been in use for a while".

And it will be out of date with last years technology and no update in sight.

Dump your Android and buy a proper phone, an iPhone.

5. Sooty

well - I've ordered mine

Start the piss taking!

I'm not actually a fanboy, I genuinely needed to replace my phone it just happended to co-oincide with the release so I waited a week or so for the announcement. I had an iphone 4 years ago and other than being the sort of person who holds it wrong, I had no real issues. Since then I've had an s2 and an s4 and had to have them both repaired due to minor things, charging socket failure and headphone socket failure, which might be chance, but it has put me of getting another samsung.

I already have a old iphone and an ipad, so I have loads of apps, music and videos already in the apple ecosystem so it makes sense to go for one. That they look pretty slick is a nocre bonus

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sooty is a fanboi

who would have guessed?

And there was thinking when I was a kid I looked up to Sooty, and Sweep. Such images have been ruined

2. VinceH
      Trollface

Re: well - I've ordered mine

"I'm not actually a fanboy"

That's because it's spelt "fanboi", you rabid, foamy fanboi! :p

6. Yugguy

Free U2 album!!!

But you'll get a free U2 album:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/29157217

Well who wouldnt want that.

Besides myself?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Free U2 album!!!

TPB has lots of those. Should you want one

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"But you'll get a free U2 album"

Don't forget: you get what you pay for...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yesterday's band of pensioners.

7. VinceH

"if Apple's web store holds up better than its livestream"

I have a simple marketing theory about that:

If Apple deliberately ensures the stream isn't quite good enough, and doesn't quite have enough bandwidth to meet the expected demand, afterwards they can say how they were overwhelmed, they thought it would cope, but more people tried watching it than they expected.

A bit like the old chestnut of not producing enough of something to start with, or simply holding supplies back, making it look like demand is so high it couldn't be met.

8. Stretch

macscum are not people

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like