back to article Lifelock's fraud-prevention service takes more legal flak

LifeLock's dubious fraud-prevention service is attracting more flak, this time from disgruntled customers in three US states who say it fails to provide the comprehensive protection its CEO and high-profile pitchman claims. The lawsuits, filed by individuals from Maryland, New Jersey and West Virginia, take issue with LifeLock …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adnim

Putting it about a bit

To be expected...

Here ya go here's my full name and Nat Ins #

Yeah right.

I do not know much about Lifelock, but I presume one would have to give them some personal information in order for them to clock any abuse of ones identity. In which case one exposes more personal info to yet another database that may or may not be ripe for compromise. As far as ID theft is concerned, I think security through obscurity is a pretty strong argument.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Geez, Reg...

...scooped by CNN.com to the tune of 8 hours? I'm disappointed in you!

3. Dan Goodin (Written by Reg staff)

Geez David Wiernicki

Where do you think CNN.com got the story? From the same AP reporter credited. Do feel free to think before commenting in the future.

4. Herby
    Joke

Any my SSN is...

000-00-0001 - Oh, sorry that was Jack Benny's number. Now try to get something with that one.

p.s. Jack Benny died many years ago, and was known for being a tightwad, and being old. As the skit goes he is confronted with "Your money, or your life", to which he ponders for a bit trying to decide.

As far as using a service like the one mentioned, why pay $19.95 for something you can do yourself (for free!).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Identity theft, UK style

(recycled from January)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/07/clarkson_bank_prank_backfires/

6. Curtis
    Black Helicopters

I wonder

How many of these guys are getting paid by Experian to file these suits? Experian has already said that LifeLock is causing a major cost to them with the fraud alerts. All they do is place a fraud alert on your credit info, and then renew it every 90 days. If fraud occurs, it just goes to show that Experian is not follow US Federal law regarding fraud alerts. A fraud alert is supposed to prevent any new credit from being issued. It is supposed to automatically inform the victim that a credit inquiry has been initiated against his credit, and it is supposed to PREVENT creditors from getting the info that a reasonable company would require to issue new credit. If Experian is still releasing that info, or the issuing company if issuing credit with a fraud alert on the account without verifying the applicant, then LifeLock's not the one at fault (although Experian will tell you it is because of all the false alarms LifeLock is placing) As for a drivers license, in the US most states will check if you have a Social Security Number, and that it matches the name provided, but nothing beyond that. It's no surprise that someone got a fake ID issued using the guy's SS#.

Try reading LifeLock's website. They ADMIT that mst of their services you can do yourself for free. One of they things that your $10/month buys you is monitoring of known ID trader sites for your info. Plus, IF somehow something happens, they will spend up to one million dollars to fix it. The only complaint that these guys would really have would be IF something went wrong, and LifeLock didn't spend the dosh to fix it.

Personally, I bet these guys have some financial stake in Experian or another Credit reporting agency, and this is their way of trying to get the courts to bully a company.

7. system

Protection from fraud?

Courtesy of thedailywtf, free lifelock accounts for all.

Simply go to https://secure.lifelock.com/enrollmentform.aspx and enter ' OR 1 = 1 OR ' (with the quotes) to get an account costing $0.00

8. GettinSadda

Re: Protection from fraud?

Thanks system, nice tip.

However I had already got the tip from little Bobby Tables

http://xkcd.com/327/

9. Peyton

Not all fraud

is credit related. The article mentions driver's licenses as an example of this. Additionally, Experian is not the only credit information group - so even if they're doing everything perfectly, it won't necessarily prevent new credit being issued in your name.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like