back to article Isis Wallet, NOT an Islamist militant group, reborn as Softcard

In a bid to distance itself from a violent Islamist militant group, US-based mobile payment company Isis has said that it will change the name of its Wallet service to Softcard. The company announced the rebranding plan in July, in hopes of avoiding being linked with the ruthless Sunni jihadist fighting force known variously …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So not an alternative to marriage then ?

A pay-by-bonk wallet.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Childcatcher

ISIS: So terrible that it "sickens" even US state depravement personnel

Meanwhile, in the land of the various things of free:

ISIS the Rock Band Mistaken for the Terrorist Group

3. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

"In a bid to distance itself from a violent Islamist militant group..."

Are people *really* that stupid that because the Islamist group is currently being referred to as ISIS that any business that has a similar name must be linked to them...?

> US-based mobile payment company

Ah, sorry, forget I asked.

1. Mark 85

Re: "In a bid to distance itself from a violent Islamist militant group..."

Ah.. yes. You asked the question that needed to be asked.

2. Charles Manning

It's not just to protect yourself from stupid citizens either. The law enforcement types would likely shut them down for being money laundering operation. Not exactly the way to run a money transfer service.

After all, after 9/11 they had some semi-legitimate reason to attack targets in Afgahnistan, but instead attacked Iraq.... a whole 3000 km away.

Imagine bombing Moscow if you didn't like London's fish and chips! (London to Moscow is approx 3000km)

... or bombing Mexico because the Canadaina make maple syrup.

... or NZ becuae you hate kangaroos.

Nope. With this lot best not to take chances.

Just hope like hell some large unfriendly orgaisation does not spring up with Soft in its name :-).

1. Allan George Dyer
        Joke

Meanwhile, ISIS has decided to rename itself the Sunni Orthodox Freedom Terrorist Conglomerate Attaining Devastation, "to avoid confusion".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile, ISIS has decided to rename itself the Sunni Orthodox Freedom Terrorist Conglomerate Attaining Devastation, "to avoid confusion".

As long as they don't rename themselves as Islamitic Terror or we'll all be in trouble..

3. Cipher
      Facepalm

"Are people *really* that stupid..."

Yes Marsden, they are. And this may come as a shock to you, your knee jerk/crowd pleasing anti US remark aside, they exist and flourish in all countries. Even your country...

Why some people feel the need to insert non-sequitor ad hominem attacks for chuckles or to establish their proper credentials is beyond me.

Sigh...

4. Tim Jenkins

I refer you to the following:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/61579.stm

"...a retired naval pilot from Nipomo in California is being accused of the greatest feat of global manipulation ever. And all because his name is Al Nino... "

(love the 1998-vintage web page too ; )

5. Yugguy

YEP.

In England a few years back a paedatrician's office was targeted and "paedo scum" sprayed on it by people who were so stupid they a) didn't know the difference between the two and b) actually thought paedophiles would have an office.

4. MD Rackham

Remember "Ayds" Diet Candies?

Oddly enough, they chose to rename their product back in the '80s.

Name overloading is very confusing for some people.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think it would be one of the all time greatest trolls if

ISIS (the militant group) changed their name to Softcard. After all, they've already gone by several names before ISIS...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"small traces of Isis will be visible for a short time"?

One of the few instances of NFC I've ever seen in the wild is a place that has soft drink machines with a "ISIS" logo and "tap here to pay". Are they going to send someone out to put a sticky label over the "ISIS" logo? I think I'll make a point of removing that label if so, just because.

BTW, I've yet to ever see anyone pay by tap on these things. Most swipe their card like I do, the rest use change and discover that these stupid machines somehow seem able to recognize a nickle only once in every 10 attempts, but give you change from $1.50 for your $1.35 drink in the form of three nickles. WTF? Apparently some scheme to flood the world with counterfeit nickles or something.

7. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Happy

Who's missing from the party?

AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon announce their joint venture, SoftBank. Whoops! Softcard.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like