back to article Oracle's MySQL buy a 'fiasco' says Dovecot man Mikko Linnanmäki

A co-founder of the widely-used IMAP server Dovecot has outlined his three rules for open source success, in terms Larry Ellison may not enjoy. “The first rule is don't sell your company to Oracle if you want to keep your product alive,” he told World Hosting Day in Singapore yesterday. “The second rule is also don't sell …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oracle's acquisition of MySQL???

What's he talking about?

Sun bought MySQL in 2008, Oracle bought Sun in 2010, and so acquired MySQL with it.

Oracle didn't buy MySQL.

1. K

Re: Oracle's acquisition of MySQL???

Sun hard 3 assets that were of value to Oracle -

MySQL

JAVA

Sun Hardware

If Sun did not own MySQL, you can bet your bottom dollar what Oracle would not have touched them with a barge pole. I think the Gent's real gripe is the development and release cycle has taken somewhat of a nose dive and they are not playing nice with others, fact is MySQL is no longer innovative, instead they are playing catch up with forks such as MariaDB.

A few months ago we made the decision to dump MySQL in favour of MariaDB, probably the best move we've in a while.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oracle is institutionally incapable of innovation - they don't innovate, they acquire...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Oracle is institutionally incapable of innovation

Maybe nowadays, but they were the first to market with a relational database and came up with some pretty cool features for it over the next twenty or so years. Plenty of products have surpassed Oracle DB now though, not least in terms of usability.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"but they were the first to market with a relational database"

The statement was about innovation. Oracle didn't innovate here, it was IBM. Whether they were first to market means squat in innovation, anyone can jump on the efforts of others.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

> Oracle didn't innovate here, it was IBM.

Far from it, go read the official histories. IBM were too busy sitting on their laurels to innovate in the clustered RDBMS space.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

What official histories? The ones authored by Larry?

Are you really suggesting that Oracle thought up Relational Databases ... or even SQL first?

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

> Are you really suggesting that Oracle thought up Relational Databases ... or even SQL first?

No, of course not, but it brought them to minicomputers and vastly improved them. Like I said, IBM invented them, then sat back and admired them.That's why Oracle is somewhat more widely used than DB2.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

What official histories? The ones authored by Larry?

There were some interesting articles in the IEEE "Annals of the history of Computing" in late 2013 and eraly 2014. They looked at the DB industry as a whole, and had articles on Oracle (written by an early Oracle employee) and IBM by an IBM employee. They make interesting reading.

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Just like Apple got all the good ideas from Xerox? Or the way they bought the multitouch technology?

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

The other thing to remember is that they're only good at relational databases.

Most other things they've touched seem to have turned into massive fusterclucks.

3. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Remind me again who Edgar Codd worked for?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oracle is much more interested in Java than in MySQL...

... although removing a competitor is always useful.

3. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I think the Gent's real gripe is the development and release cycle has taken somewhat of a nose dive and they are not playing nice with others, fact is MySQL is no longer innovative, instead they are playing catch up with forks such as MariaDB.

I wonder why he was even asked about the deal. Does Dovecot use MySQL in a large way?

I disagree that MySQL isn't faring well under Oracle. Then again I would disagree that MySQL itself was ever innovative. It seems to me that Oracle is actually working quite hard at making MySQL a reliable product by squashing bugs, while admittedly introducing new ones, improving the tools and making it something businesses will be prepared to pay for support for. Sun never really had a plan to monetise it. Yes, Oracle isn't playing nice with some of the forks but they're anything like as unreliable and unpredictable as MySQL was in the past then I'm not really surprised.

Where Oracle did do a disservice to itself was with Hudson and OpenOffice.org. But the world recovered and moved on.

1. Paul Shirley

Charlie Clark: " It seems to me that Oracle is actually working quite hard at making MySQL a reliable product by squashing bugs"

...yet the biggest improvement in uptime,memory use and speed in my MediaPortal setup was the result of swapping in MariaDB. Working hard perhaps, not achieving much for the effort.

2. hammarbtyp

Job Done

Well, if Oracle's plan was to stall the continued development of a Open source competitor, you have to say they were very successfiul

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Job Done

"Well, if Oracle's plan was to stall the continued development of a Open source competitor, you have to say they were very successfiul"

Right up to the point that the developers all jumped ship and sailed off in the SS MariaDB

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is using Google proprietary APIs better than a RFC standard like IMAP?

I found this open source taliban always funny. Google is always good, its proprietary API of course are better than an RFC standards like IMAP, Google never does evil... (of course Exchange APIs are very, very evil, instead).

Meanwhile Oracle is the "Great Satan", and of course the many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ MySQL developers got in the sale (to Sun...) were not important in their decision.

Sure, nobody would ever buy Dovecot, but I wish to see someone offerinh him not an Instagram or a Whatsapp, but some hundred of million dollars anyway, and see how he reacts....

1. Pseudonymous Coward

Re: Is using Google proprietary APIs better than a RFC standard like IMAP?

"open source taliban"?! You mean because he attacked Oracle?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oracle or others, I frankly find hypocrite this "don't sell" unti they offer you millions (or billions) of dollars, and then all your "principles" go away. Nobody forced Widenius & C. to sell MySQL.

But I understand what is the new business open source business plan now:

1) Make an open source project appealing

2) Sell it for $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to X company, which usually people think is bad

3) Fork it

4) Tell people to use your fork and no the original product because X is baaaaad, very baaaaad

4 bis) If you can, cry X needs to give you back the project rights, because X is baaaaad, and doesn't deserve them because it's ruining the holiness of the project (this may not work, though)

5) Get more $$$$$$$ from the fork, if your plan works, while still enjoying those got at 2)....

I found this very hypocrite.

If meanwhile you plaud Google for introducing its own proprietary API and protocols to access mail instead of standard, "open source" ones, well, you're really like a "taliban" - you act on irrational "religious belief" only.

1. Nigel 11

Proprietary API normally means that the owner won't let anyone else know what they need to know in order to call the code, or to write a compatible library or server with the same API but a different codebase. For example, Microsoft's obfuscated calls in the WIN32 API which only MS Office was able to use (to make sure Office couldn't run under WINE), or Microsoft's very expensive (and eventually failed) battle with the EU to keep the fine details of its AD fileserver protocols secret and thereby keep Samba/CIFs from becoming a full competitor).

If Google has published the documentation of its new API and isn't trying to prevent other folks interfacing to it, it's not proprietary. It's just an alternative to IMAP that might become tomorrows standard, if it attacts sufficient interest. (Just as IMAP was once a fancy new alternative to POP).

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

No, proprietary APIs means you own them and design and implement (and change) them as you like.

'Proprietary' never meant 'reserved' or 'unpublished' API. And who warrants you Google published all the APIs and there are none reserved for Google only use? Google itself?

IMAP was designed by IETF without being designed for a single company interests. Of course Google wants you to use its own protocol instead of standard ones, so you get locked in and it's easier to make send your data to Google for its own interested use. It's exactly what MS tried...

But again we see that MS is evil, Oracle is evil, Google is good...

BTW: CIFS was an old MS name for its SMB protocol. SMB predates AD, and is not tied to it.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I could have understood some of your rant better if your user name was LSD, would have explained plenty.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
            Headmaster

If meanwhile you plaud Google for introducing its own proprietary API and protocols to access mail

"Accessing mail" is just another way of implementing a distributed filesystem that has the form of a holdover from the era of servers that were like Raspies at the far end of a serial line.

It's time to let go and make a mail client a gloss on top of Coda for example.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

No, it's more alike an RPC protocol to access a databases . There is far more today in email management than what a file system supports.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Out of pure curiosity, is your native language French? I ask not out of malice or anti-French bias, but because your English reads as if it has been translated from Latin.

4. ForthIsNotDead

Open software

Open Software often sounds like communism to me. Nobody owns it. Therefore, nobody gets paid for it. Therefore it's not of any (real) value to anyone at all. It's communism in software.

It would be funny if someone offered to buy *his* business for a few million. It's funny how communists suddenly turn into capitalists when a big fucking cheque is waved in their face!

1. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Re: Open software

... and now we know there are at least two things you don't understand - open source and communism. Thanks for sharing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

<em>... and now we know there are at least two things you don't understand - open source and communism. Thanks for sharing.</em>

although to be completely fair, I don't think anyone understands communism...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

although to be completely fair, I don't think anyone understands communism..

Pah, wait until you try to explain anarchism,

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Hi Bill, don't you have some philantrophic project to manage, you old scumbag?

1. theblackhand

"Hi Bill, don't you have some philantrophic project to manage, you old scumbag?"

Bill's given up the philanthropy game after GQ awarded Tony Blair the 'philanthropist of the year' award.

I think Bill's waiting for the current Middle East "peace" to end so he can try and repeat Tony's success there next.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Open Software often sounds like communism to me.

Totally. The Open Software Manifesto was written by Vladimir Ilyitch Lenin.

5. IGnatius T Foobar
    Linux

The reason nobody will buy Dovecot

The reason nobody will buy Dovecot is because it's a pretty basic tool that anyone with a decent development team could write on their own in a very short time. The Dovecot guys have built a solid IMAP server, for sure, but at the end of the day it's just an IMAP server.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: The reason nobody will buy Dovecot

"The Dovecot guys have built a solid IMAP server, for sure, but at the end of the day it's just an IMAP server."

There are plenty of IMAP server implementations available. Most of them are crap and more than a few of them will corrupt mailboxes.

Dovecot is good because it's well written and was structured from the outset.

There's nothing stopping it being dual licensed just like mysql was.

A more pressing issue is what happens on mail clients when users insist on having 60Gb/10 million items of mail in various folders (this is a real world scenario).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Unhappy

having 60Gb/10 million items of mail in various folders

Ah you work in the same company as me then?

1. Tom 13

Not likely. None of of the experts want to talk about it, but many companies (mis)use their mail systems like that. At the moment I don't think the outfit I'm working for is quite that bad (25G limit on the GMail cloud), but I've worked at them before and provided service to even more.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I see the knives are out

Must be a bad day in Reg-world. Is any of this very controversial? Oracle bought Sun because they had some cool technology (e.g. Java), a ton of really top-notch talent and sucked giant fried donkey balls at making a profit. By the way they also vacuumed up an annoying little upstart called MySQL. OK, nothing too surprising there.

Anyone who knew of Oracle's biz practices would have predicted that for all their protestations, the open-source assets would be monetized in some way. As it happened, Oracle took a rather ham-fisted approach to some of them (eg the CI tools) and people forked. Whether you like Oracle or not, it is their right to do as they please with the assets...just as it is a saving glory of the open-source licensing schemes that we, the community, can get around it safely. The end.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: I see the knives are out

Everyone is a bit nervous because of those photos that are floating out there.

7. Nate Amsden

how is oracle hurting with mysql?

The legions of mysql users that weren't paying Sun/MySQL for support still aren't paying Oracle for MySQL support? Oracle didn't care about those people anyway, probably in excess of 90% of them were not going to consider paying Oracle for support regardless.

1. foo_bar_baz

Re: how is oracle hurting with mysql?

You're right that people looking for a cheap/free database backend for their blog weren't going to splurge kilobucks per year on Oracle. These people represent new entrants into the DB customer base.

There are however the 10% you refer to, old Oracle customers who've started to use MySQL, Postgres or nosql in situations where Oracle's features and support aren't required. Every MySQL installation there is a direct loss to Oracle. When making the decision between 1) paying Oracle 2) paying for "free" DB support or 3) self support the choice is less and less the first one. It's in Oracle's interest to steer MySQL development away from "enterprisey" features to shore up their market share, or at least sell those features at a premium.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

fair enough

Seems Dovecot wants Larrys money...

1. Wensleydale Cheese

Re: fair enough

"Seems Dovecot wants Larrys money..."

Reading the article I couldn't get that scene from "Yes Minister" out of my head, the one where he says he has no intention of running for the Prime Minister's job.

1. Gazman

Re: fair enough

@Wensleydale Cheese

... or alternatively Jim Trott out of the Vicar of Dibley: "No, no, no, no, yes"

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> “If you do storage with NFS and appliances your email services will not be very profitable,” Linnanmäki said.

On the other hand, if you store customers data "in the cloud" you're not exactly building on a reliable/secure foundation. :/

1. Tom 13

Re: store customers data "in the cloud"

While I'm mostly inclined to agree there's is a problem. Whereas 2 years back "the cloud" pretty much guaranteed it was outsourced, there are apparently now "private clouds" which might or might not be at the other end of a distant fiber connection. So if it is a private cloud on your premises you might be OK. Or not, depending on your backup solution, disaster recovery plan, and a dozen other things.

All in all, where as once I thought I understood what people were talking about, I'm now a bit cloudy on the whole thing.

2. toughluck

So very true. By the end of the day, it's not like their data is stored in some fine mist with a cable dangling from it. The data has to be on an array somewhere, so they end up paying for the purchase, support, connection and on top of that, overhead and margin of their provider.

If you use a considerable portion of your storage, shifting to cloud makes no sense whatsoever. If somebody offers you a lower price per byte stored and transferred, they're cutting corners somewhere. The problem is, you don't know where. And finally, if they grossly underestimated costs or overestimated profits, their business model falls apart, they fold and you're left without a provider and usually without any way with which you can recover your data.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like