back to article Ninja Pirate Zombie Vampires versus Chuck Norris and the Space Marines

No fewer than 1,784 of you kindly volunteered to have your brains slurped in the initial stage of the Weekend Register's pioneering attempt to use hefty-data techniques to solve the most pressing puzzle of our era - namely who would win in a fight: pirates, ninjas, zombies, vampires, werewolves, aliens, robots, jedi, various …

1. Simon Westerby 1

surely the "OUT:" comment for "Colonial Marines from Aliens" should have been ... "It's Game over man, game over"....

1. VinceH

Plus, they'd stand a very good chance of winning if they just take off and nuke the site from orbit (because, as we know, it's the only way to be sure).

Unless any of the others have a means of transportation, in which case they wouldn't stand a very good chance of winning if they just took off and nuked the site from orbit (because, as it would therefore turn out) it isn't the only way to be sure.

1. P. Lee

> they'd stand a very good chance of winning if they just take off and nuke the site from orbit

While a technical possibility, the bosses are always far too stupid and greedy to take this option when its suggested by those who actually know what they are talking about.

Hmmm, that sounds like my workplace...

On a separate note, can we vote for the type of vampire we want to win, regardless of whether we think they actually would? :)

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Surely the out comment for colonial marines should be, "because we know what happens to them every time they come up against aliens. They end up as lunch."

Clearly the Aliens will get representation. But perhaps there should also be a place for Ripley. She's pretty damned hard to kill, and not too shabby on the slaughtering her enemies front either.

I guess the rude answer about jarheads is probably because the article is written by an ex-swabbie.

2. Chris G

I fear for the future

Of the human race; Most of the voting results were in line with my votes, generally the nastier and more violent something is the more it is voted for, the slightly cuddlier or less deadly got a lot less of a look in.

Doesn't that say something about our proclivity for violence as a race or is it just Homo Vulturius as opposed to Homo Sapiens in general?

1. Steve Knox

Re: I fear for the future

More likely, as this is a "who would win in a fight"* type study, the less deadly-seeming ones were voted against in an attempt to avoid extraneous low-level rounds against lightweights.

Me, I'm an empiricist. Just because something appears to be wimpy doesn't mean anything; they need to be tested in battle.

It's too bad the comments are being voted against; I was hoping to nominate such luminaries as:

Charles Bronson (makes Chuck Norris look like the mewling pretty-boy he is)

The Vogons (not so hot with weapons, but the things they can do with a properly authorized requisition form [or more to the point, the things they can not get done for lack of the proper paperwork]...)

Betty White (seriously, do NOT cross her.)

*Although that in itselft might say something about our proclivity for violence as a race...

1. CaptSmeg

+1 for the Vogons, their weaponised poetry is nasty stuff.

1. Tweetiepooh

but then there is

Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings (original name changed to protect the innocent/guilty).

2. VinceH

"It's too bad the comments are being voted against; I was hoping to nominate such luminaries as:"

I would definitely have offered up the Shadows as a suggestion.

Oh, and why are so many uninformed crazy folk suggesting that Daleks should be lumped in with robots? Don't you crazy people realise that there is a living creature inside a Dalek?

1. Steve Knox

Oh, and why are so many uninformed crazy folk suggesting that Daleks should be lumped in with robots? Don't you crazy people realise that there is a living creature inside a Dalek?

To be fair, El Reg itself is already lumping cyborgs, including Cybermen, in with robots too, even though cyborgs run the gamut from electronically-enhanced creature (e.g, Johnny Mnemonic, Captain Cyborg) through living brain in a machine body (e.g, Darth Vader, also roughly where the Daleks would fall on the scale -- technically there's more than a brain inside there, but depending on where exactly in the series you take them from, the organism's actual capabilities vary) or living body with an electronic brain, all the way to organically-enhanced machine (e.g, T-800 Model 101 [NOT T-101, BTW])

3. Sir Runcible Spoon
        Coat

"Charles Bronson (makes Chuck Norris look like the mewling pretty-boy he is)"

The last time Charles Bronson dared to look at Chuck Norris it was in a dream, and when he woke up he apologized.

2. Irony Deficient

Chris, since the question was “Who would win in a fight?”, one might expect the answers to skew towards nasty violent types — or perhaps those are just the preferences of Homo sapiens nationum quinque ocularum.

1. VinceH

"since the question was “Who would win in a fight?”, one might expect the answers to skew towards nasty violent types"

Yeah, but for the moment the question is actually "who shall we put in the fight in the first place?"

3. dogged

Morris Dancers.

Terrifying. A world saved by Morris Dancers would probably be worse than one colonized by aliens.

1. Kai Hauschildt

Re: Morris Dancers.

Morris dancers should not be lumped in with the human mob. They are well organized. They should be a flavor of human military.

1. Chris G

I have met a few Morris dancers, in fact my old physics teacher was one.

Morris dancing is less about the dancing, (though it is an important part of English folk culture) than it is about the amount of good ale quaffing to be had. Have you ever seen Morris Dancers far from a good country pub?

I suspect Morris dancers would stand a good to excellent chance of winning at bar combat.

1. g e

Indeed, do not underestimate their gaily-garbed bell-jingling and stick-clacking jaunty ways...

In fact if there'd been an aled-up Morris Troupe (collective noun?) in the pub in Shaun of the Dead the outcome would have been far different.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

The collective noun you are looking for is 'a morris side'. Although 'a pissed of Moris men' may also be appropriate...

4. chuckufarley Silver badge
    Terminator

Johnny Five and R2D2 are...

...both excellent combat robots. Put either one in a catapult, pull the lever, and smile.

5. Kai Hauschildt
    Terminator

R2-D2 etc ARE combat robots by design.

C3PO is not a combat robot. He is a mass produced protocol droid. Some say he is some kid's homemade project. Right. Some kid is going to name the biggest achievement he makes some hodgepodge designation. Anyhow...

R2-D2 is a combat robot: R2 units are used as integral components on combat starships. (See the droid cup holder in the X-Wing and other designs.

Johnny-5 is the fifth combat droid in a series. He goes haywire due to a voltage spike.

There seems to be some confusion on the vulture's part as to what is or isn't a combat robot by design. Please do not unduly increase the chances of the whimsical robot brigade by including purpose built killing machines into their ranks.

1. chuckufarley Silver badge

Re: R2-D2 etc ARE combat robots by design.

Regardless of the intended functions of these droids, I still like my catapult idea better. Thinking outside the box is crucial in any battle and who knows, maybe a clever Skynet would disguise a droid or two million as noncombat units.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Wasn't r2-d2 a maintenance droid?

1. chuckufarley Silver badge

He was an AstroMech droid.

2. P. Lee

If number 5 is alive - does that make him human?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Only in the sense that non-lethal weapons are combat equipment because they include irritants. C3-PO, R2-D2 and Johny-5 are all more likely to provoke violence by virtue of being really annoying. They're combat targets. HK-47, now that's a combat robot. Meatbags.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
          Devil

Only in the sense that non-lethal weapons are combat equipment because they include irritants. C3-PO, R2-D2 and Johny-5 are all more likely to provoke violence by virtue of being really annoying.

But that would make JarJar Binks the most powerful and deadly force in the universe!

2. Tom 38
        Headmaster

If number 5 is alive - does that make him human?

If your dog is alive, does that make him human?

6. fearnothing

Technically, R2-D2 is an autonomous combat support system whereas Johnny 5 (prior to self modification) is a true combat robot because he comes with offensive weaponry.

Mind you, the Vogons come with offensive weaponry too, but in the other meaning of the word.

1. Irony Deficient

in the other meaning of the word

fearnothing, what the Vogons do in the privacy of their spacecraft is none of my concern.

7. Kai Hauschildt

What about better than improvised human civilians? McGyver and A-Team for example. Granted, McGyver doesn't even line weapons but has proven that he can defeat pretty much anything used against him with a roll of duct tape...

1. DropBear
      Trollface

Now I can't get rid of the image of a Predator rolled up in duct tape struggling in vain to un-mumify himself, with a mud-covered but smiling McGyver at its side...

8. Dave Bell

Military Alternatives

There are a huge number of alternatives to the human militaries you list.

And some not-human alternatives...

The Light Company of the South Essex Regiment, under the command of Richard Sharpe.

A Landing Force detachment of the Rain Island Army Union, with air support from the Naval Syndicate.

Any battalion of the British Expeditionary Force, August 1914

Or, if you really want to be nasty, any battalion of the same army, from the Western Front in August 1918.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everyone has missed a trick, in the 'aliens' segment no one has suggested we include the SG-1 Asgard or pre-ascended Ancients ?

How about B5's Vorlons/Shadows? Hell even the Minbari would give most classes a run for their money

Does the Ninja category include Assassin's Creed like characters?

10. Lewis Greaves

What about......

Future versions of mankind - E.g Games Workshops 40K Universe - Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Titans, Imperial Navy etc, etc for us Mon-keighs. Plus a whole truck load of nasty's wanting us dead. Like Necrons, Orks, Tyranids?

11. Horridbloke

We've forgotten the probable winner

What about psychologically scarred billionaire vigilantes?

12. Midden View

No Commander Shepard / mixed bag of aliens on the winning side?

Also a vote for the C J Cherryh merchant fleet vs. (i) the marine carriers and (ii) the clones.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: No Commander Shepard / mixed bag of aliens on the winning side?

If we are talking of C J Cherryh characters, then we are back to heavily armed CATS again!!!!

(The Pride of Chanur).

Make mine a catnip please.

1. Gordon 10

Upvoted but not forgetting the Knnn (they're crazy) and the Kif.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

The Knnn have got to be good. And whatever the aliens are called in 'Hunter of Worlds'. Plus we have the Kif and the Mri for hand-to-hand (plus teeth) nastiness.

But the most dangerous of the lot has surely got to be the nighthorses. If they ever hear that bacon is available throughout the universe, I'm sure they'll soon 'persuade' some pilots to get them into space...

13. Tony Haines

hang on..

I'm a bit concerned about the zombie/vampire situation.

The traditional shambling zombie horde is clearly inferior to new improved turbo-zombie strains, and it makes sense to split vampires into gothic and cute types, but what about the various and diverse zombie-vampire hybrids as seen for example in "I am legend"? Where do they fit in?

Also, perhaps there should be a category for other aggressive hegemonising swarms. Mantred, the Borg, SG-1 replicators and the like.

14. Grikath

Have we missed clowns?

They only seem harmless, but hand them a ladder and a bucket of whitewash.... *shudder*

1. Irongut

Re: Have we missed clowns?

"Everybody Happy!" - Stitches

2. Fading

In space nobody can eat ice cream..........

[tag line from one of my favourite films - but they will need to be included in the Aliens category]

1. Gordon 10

Killer Clowns from Outer Space.

And not forgetting the pre-Monstrous Clown from IT, not the silly effects spider thing at the end, just the pointy teethed clown.

15. tfewster

Culture GSVs

No contest. (Unless Chuck Norris is involved).

16. MJI Silver badge

Still need Arnie & Sigourny

Well he took out a Predator, and she took out Aliens

1. A K Stiles
      Coat

Re: Still need Arnie & Sigourny

And Danny Glover got himself a Predator too...

What do you mean "There was no second Predator film!" ?

1. Marcus Aurelius

Not forgetting

Alien v Predator (its a film, a computer game....)

1. Crisp
          Boffin

Re: Not forgetting

Alien Vs Predator Requiem was better.

17. g e

Just remembered these two cyber-tools...

The Frontline Morale Destroyer aka Warbeast (Death Machine 1995 with Brad Dourif, Rachel Weisz)

M.A.R.K. 13 (Hardware 1990)

18. Gazareth

Think we need a wildcard-type

a la Ellen Ripley or Kyle Reese

19. dotdavid

Robots

Any chance of including Iain M. Banks' Culture Minds? Although granted there'd basically be no chance of them losing.

20. G Watty What?

CRITTERS - THEY BITE

I humbly request that Critters be added to the list of aliens to enter the fray.

What with stinging quills, a nasty attitude and they look like Sonic The Hedgehog's psychotic relatives, they must surely have representation in the arena of death.

Over and out.

P.s. relive the glory days here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090887/

21. Haff

ABC Warriors

no list of war robot is complete with out the ABC warriors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_Warriors

22. McNoir

Surely Bruce Campbell should be included

Or at least Bruce Campbells Chin

23. Daniel Fiander

Little Green Men

Aliens should clearly include the traditional little Green Men- Flying Saucers, ray guns, tripod war machines etc

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My vote'd go to

Space Captain Smith and crew!

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All of 'em will end up in a cube or in resyke

Yours

Joe Dredd

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon